Upcoming Headsets to Keep any Eye on

The more I think about it the more it actually MIGHT make sense that they’re just going for 1 panel with high resolution. The tech is there (apple showed us) and it will just be easier to produce, cheaper and will be lighter and so more comfortable. So who knows, we’ll find out soon… But yeah at this point I think it just doesn’t make much sense to continue to work with 2 panels per eye.

2 Likes

Other news is that the Somnium VR1 seems to have 122-128 hFoV. Not sure if this spec was already published but especially if they can get it near 130 hFoV that does sound interesting.

https://twitter.com/ASychov/status/1724780932039917828/photo/1

3 Likes

I kinda think the opposite lol. I think Varjo need a USP to sell the VR4 to high end buisnesses. If they use one panel then it becomes an Aero. Maybe we’ll see and Aero later use the same back panel. Pure guessing on my part.

As for Somnium I hope their glass doesn’t create glare or optical artifact due to using two sets of lenses per eye. I feel the 12k could be the headset to get if Pimax can get it together and sadly the VR1 will get overlooked by the time its released.

I’m surprised HTC has not done an elongated reveal yet like they usually do in the run up to CES.

In the latest Steam Hardware Survey the Crystal has yet to make an appearance. Even after several months on sale. But then again neither has the BSB. Thats not exactly good news for PCVR. Quest3 has shot up to a whopping 0.15%.

When will some one break that 140FoV for under 1000k barrier???

2 Likes

With current lens technology it’s just very difficult. Sure, you can do it in a “Pimaxian” way (or even call it an “VRgineers” way if you want, cause the XTAL lenses also just aren’t really good) and release something that “works” (kinda LOL) but most companies feel that the optics should be good and that’s just very difficult for high FoV.

Pancake was a nice improvement but we need a new breakthrough.

I posted a long tech video on the subject last week, it really opened my eyes, never realised that it’s just a physics thing. Without such breakthrough it seems not likely that the big companies will release anything 140+ in the coming years.

With current technology it’s just not possible to make 140 hFoV lenses, for small pixel size, that are sharp all over the lens.

2 Likes

Yeah that was a great watch I really like Art from Somnium and Art from Hypervision. You really feel the futures safe in their hands.

I’m suprised we’ve not heard about an new XTAL yet using those Hypervision lenses. Once that production line is up and running the wide FOV scene will explode imo.

Heres a blast from the past. CES 2017.

1 Like

haha yeah I wonder whatever happened with their plans. But this headset obviously was a way lower resolution and, as I understand now, the higher the resolution the more difficult it is. So it’s now even more difficult to create (sharp) wide FoV lenses than back then.

I wonder what would happen if Panasonic released that headset now with better fresnel lenses and modest 2560x2560 LCD panels but at a $600 price point? Would it take PCVR to the next level or be another Pimax 5k+.

or even better if they teamed up with Samsung with their curved lens/curved screen tech. Not going to happen, but would be really cool nonetheless.

1 Like

I think once manufacturers see a sustainable business model it will be worth the investment. Selling 1-2 million probably aint worth the hastle.

1 Like

Tomorrow SadlyItsBradly and Tyrielwood get to experience the VR1:
https://twitter.com/ASychov/status/1736727160667164969

Looking forward to their first impressions! Also they seem to make nice process, I don’t think they’ll start shipping out this year but will surely be Q1 next year, hopefully even in january. Really looking forward to this, their lens stack looks very interesting:

https://twitter.com/ASychov/status/1736780776874639538

4 Likes

Looking good.

I suppose it comes down to price.

With the Crystal at a reasonable price now and the Aero at half price a VR-1 at 2k might look over priced. 1.5k is a stretch and 1.3k more reasonable in terms of staying on par with Crystal.

I’m sure YTers are going to be busy doing comparisons over the next few months.

All this juicy goodness, coming up.

2 Likes

I agree price will be a deciding factor for many. If it has everything as promised, including the wifi that is still AWOL in the Crystal, imo I think upto $2k (all in including taxes/import costs etc) will be justified, hopefully it’ll be substantially less, if it was nearer $1k it’d be an outstanding proposition if it has all the promised features.

1 Like

It depends indeed. If it’s really 125 FoV horizontally then that’s something that definitely stands out. If they can combine that with a geometrically stable image that’s sharp over most of the lens, then $2000 might be a good price. However I still doubt all of that. We’ll see though. For that price it definitely needs to bring something unique to the table.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1737098309406236944

2 Likes

Hehe I see Marek from VRengineers at that table, taking notes, LOL

1 Like

At that price though should have some kind of controllers; even though many will have SteamVR eq already.

1 Like

Indeed if that is legit it will definitely attract ppl as most are considerably less unless going on max Vision or Xtal.

1 Like

its gonne be intresting for sure…

2 Likes

Excerpt

“A person wears the Founder’s Edition Immersed Visor 4K. | Image: Immersed
The Immersed Visor is a VR headset designed specifically for productive use and is expected to be released in 2024. It offers high-end specifications such as 4K resolution per eye, eye tracking, and wireless PC VR capabilities. It is also equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2+ Gen 2 that supports standalone mode. Despite these impressive specifications, the price of the Immersed Visor is surprisingly low at $950.”
A sneak peek at the most anticipated VR headsets for 2024.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.