Up Grade Graphic Card Nvidea GTX 960 to GTX 1070, what Expectation

Hi Folks, I anybody free to give me a feedback of my question. I will try to up grade my graphic card GPU from GTX 960 3GB to GTX 1070 8GB. What kind of graphic results I will get. Will be the image in the pimax much better, or clearer. All will I get a better , cleaner and faster image. Have I more free space in settings of graphic details in my VR games an Piplay Software. At this time , the results of VR gaming with my old GTX 960 is okay , can be much better. Hope I will fix it with the GTX 1070.

My System Spcs
Windows 10 64 bit
CPU Intel I7 3770K(3,5 Ghz)
16 GB Ram
Nvidea GTX 960
Piplay Software 1.2.75
FW 1.0.0.251
HMD S/N: 100xxxxx

it is still welcome to hear from you, and give me your feedback

cheers, Eike

1070 will be a large leap I think.Others with 1070s will have a better idea.

You should be able to run 2k withextra supersampling

that sounds good, give me a good feeling to do nothing wrong.
Thanks for your assessment

Here is a youtube compare

And Game Debate

I would imagine it will be similar to my upgrade. I went from 2x7950 cf getting in steamvr test 3.5 average (vr capable). With my r9 390 8gig i get 7.4 (vr ready)

Hope this helps. Either way the 1070 is going to give you a better experience due to more gpu power & more overhead in ram

Just make sure you google the 1070 your considering on buying as apparently not all 1070s & 1080s apparently are not vr ready.

I can’t comment on the 1070 but am about to do a review on comparisons on the following 4 cards

Gtx 750ti
Gtx 750ftw
Gtx 1060ti
Gtx 1080
Gtx 1080ti

And how they run on pimax 4k

Also note that all 4 cards as either Gigabyte or EVGA and are VR ready. No non descript branded cards here!

Will post on it shortly.

Eno

1 Like

The 1070 is similar in performance to the 980ti, which was the top dog of the previous generation. I wouldn’t use anything slower for VR, specially at high resolution.

i can defiantly saythat the 1060ti and 1060ftw are capable of VR with pretty good settings. As i have used them both in the last 6 months. the 1060 (6GB only) variants are also capable of 4k resolution on 3 screens outside of VR and in VR gets good framerates as well although some of the settings need to be dropped.

I have a 3gb 1060, and it is fine. Cant do supersampling but default 2k is great. Don’t believe the naysayers.

Ok so i did some testing on my Elite Dangerous game with some graphics cards i have. For your info my PC specs are:

I7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz, 8GB DDR4 on 64Bit Win10 ver: 1607 (OS Build 14393.1358) with 3x24inch 60Hrtz monitors running of DP connections. a Logitech G710 gaming Keyboard (requires 2 USB Ports) a Logitech G502 gaming mouse, Logitech G35 Gaming Headphones, A Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas Joystick and obviously Pimax 4K

I decided to test 5 cards and here they are:

these are in order - EVGA GTX 750TI 6GB | EVGA GTX1060 8GB | GIGABYTE GTX 1080TI Aorus 11GB | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8GB | EVGA GTX 750 FTW 6GB

I sorry if the Pimax got added in the photos…
All were tested on Elite Dangerous as a benchmark game and I have recorded the best graphics settings for each card.

Note:
The only settings that were changed for each test in game and in SteamVR were:
-Supersampling in Steamvr
-Ambient Osculusion in game settings
-Enviromnent Quality in game settings
-Supersamping in game settings
-Terrain quality in game settings
-Terrain LOD blending in game settings
-HMD Quality in game settings

the following settings were set to their lowest settings
-Shadows in game settings
-Reflections in game settings
-Galaxy Map quality in game settings

mid range cards: GTX750TI & GTX750 FTW

The FTW card was able to run at a slightly better FPS that the TI card due to its better ability for overclocking, however the TI card had better FPS and less stutter in game when both cards were not over clocked.

to produce the best visuals,
-Supersampling in Steamvr was set to 1.0
-Ambient Osculusion in game settings was set to Low
-Enviromnent Quality in game settings was set to Medium
-Supersamping in game settings was set to .75
-Terrain quality in game settings was set to low
-Terrain LOD blending in game settings was set to low
-HMD Quality in game settings was set to .85

this produced a visual that was defiantly playable with little judder unless you went into hi res sites/asteroids/planet surfaces and a slight bit of judder where quick redrawing was needed. having any shadows or reflections on… even on LOW caused major work for the cards. the FTW card handeled them better when overclocked.

Mid-High range cards

GTX 1060ti

moving from the 750 range cards to the 1060 allows you to push the graphics HMD quality up and increase the Steamvr SS as well. you will still get some stutter in high graphics areas but the view in the cockpit is much better.

-Supersampling in Steamvr was increased to 1.1
-Ambient Osculusion in game settings set to medium
-Enviromnent Quality in game settings set to medium
-Supersamping in game settings was set at .75
-Terrain quality in game settings was set to Medium
-Terrain LOD blending in game settings was set to medium
-HMD Quality in game settings was set to 1

looking at the graphics changes it does not appear to be much, but the small changes in all of the graphics setting improved the overall readability of the text in game and the quality of the realism.

Hi-end cards
GTX 1080
the game changed when this card was used. I was able to increase the SS in steamvr and increase ‘most’ of the in game settings to high - but not all! I did find if the HMD quality was pushed further than 1.25 in graphics intensive areas like stations i had some stutter and screen flashes when moving my head.

-Supersampling in Steamvr set to 1.25
-Ambient Osculusion in game settings was set to High
-Enviromnent Quality in game settings was set to Ultra
-Supersamping in game settings was set to 1.0
-Terrain quality in game settings was set to High
-Terrain LOD blending in game settings was set to High
-HMD Quality in game settings was set to 1.5

Top-end Cards
GTX1080ti Aorus
This card is designed for VR as it has the Aorus VR Link front facing dedicated VR HDMI port. as well as 3 additional HDMI ports and a further 3 DP and a DVI port on the back plate. you need a PC that can handle the power connectors as it requires 2x8pin PCI power plugs (16pins) but it does indeed improve on the 1080. (a minimum of a 700watt PSU - 650 for the card plus your peripherals)

-Supersampling in Steamvr was increased to 1.5
-Ambient Osculusion in game settings set to Ultra
-Enviromnent Quality in game settings set to Ultra
-Supersamping in game settings was set at 1.5
-Terrain quality in game settings was set to Ultra
-Terrain LOD blending in game settings was set to High
-HMD Quality in game settings was set to 1.5

1 Like

I have an ASUS Geforce GTX 1080 8K and it’s fantastic with Pimax and smooth as silk in Elite Dangerous.
Before you buy, check out the benchmark between the 1070 and 1080. The 1080 is considerably faster.

Keep in mind luke atm 3rd party nvidia is better than straight nvidia

[quote=“jonnypanic, post:8, topic:2413, full:true”]
I have a 3gb 1060, and it is fine. Cant do supersampling but default 2k is great. Don’t believe the naysayers.
[/quote]The idea is to be able to increase rendering quality. You’re happy with your little card and it’s limited capabilities, but that’s what it is. Limited capabilities.
If you want to enjoy high quality VR, you need a power house graphic card. There’s no secret there, you get what you pay for.

I am happy with it, cheers. Also happy that I get 2k VR that looks perfectly good without having to pay through the roof. Some things just aren’t worth the money. But to each his own. If you want to show off your cards, that’s fine but belittling other people for having less is really, really snobbish.

1 Like

I agree but he is right in terms of getting the 6g over the 3g as the 1060 doesn’t support sli.

But again i agree your 1060 3g does more than alright according to steamvr perf test. In fact it even beats my r9 390. Go see for yourself(but we
know amd drivers get better eith age) :v::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

http://community.openmr.ai/t/showcase-your-vr-pc/2304/5?u=heliosurge

Pssst! Other folks go & showcase you vr pc; as this also works for the pimax team to see whats powering their headsets.

Hey Wild i can attest even my old 2x7950 cf does well. Even though steamVR perf test yeilds yellow at 3.4 & i get nice visuals. :v::eyes::+1::sparkles:

Unity Chan in Piplay is an excellent demo on if its coded well it looks awesome. Presd Spacebar for goodies (thanks @lukeb)

Sure, I’d advise the 6gb at a good price but when I got mine the price difference was too great. Depends on how much you think that extra ram (and 7 percent extra fps) is worth. I just don’t like the unfair rep it got, it’s a decent card.

I hear you but Nvidia dropped the ball on it by not supporting sli on the 1060.

Could you imagine how sweet it would be in sli? :smiling_imp:

We all know that as our cards age they get cheaper. I was lucky i found an awesome openbox deal. There’s was much more than the average 20% off; if mem serves me it was %40 off.

We all know in 6months all cards get topped by the next model run. Lol :see_no_evil:

Yeah sure, but it is logical. They did the same with the 750ti. Cos they know that more people would buy 2 1060s eventually instead of one 1070 immediately. It would kill their 1070 market. Frustrating as it is for us.

AMD is better in that respect.

1 Like

Folks, many many thanks for your statments, this will help me in case of up grading my card. Generally I think, my actual graphic card is the minimum of specs and I can get more of visible quality in VR. At this moment, the image is not cristal clear, but it works for know. I am still waiting for the moment to say wow… that is it. best regards and enjoy your day

1 Like

Core I7 7700k @ 4.5ghz
Gigabyte GTX 980ti Gaming g1 6gb
16gb of DDR4 3000 memory
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming motherboard
Windows 10 Pro 64bits

SteamVR performance test:

You can expect similar results with a GTX 1070, the 980ti is only marginally faster in some situations.
Your I7 3770k will do the job just fine otherwise.

1 Like