Unboxing the Pimax Crystal

Today I am just doing a quick unboxing of the new Pimax Crystal. This has been one of my most anticipated VR headsets of 2023 so I can’t wait to see whats in this box! Thanks so much to Pimax for sending this out to the studio for review!

There is a lot of stuff to cover with this headset so i’m going to be putting it through some testing over the next couple of weeks and I hope to have a full review shortly afterwards so stay tuned! Please let me know in the comments below if there is anything you want me to be on the lookout for as I complete the testing phhase of the review.

If you want to learn more about this or any of the amazing headsets that Pimax makes you can do so here:

Pimax Wide FOV VR Headsets:

Use Code: “vrgamerdude” for an additional $20 off your order!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you received the 35PPD lens. You won’t get any more FoV than that, unless they don’t go with their original 42PPD lower FoV lenses and rather provide another set with perhaps lower PPD and more FoV.
I don’t recall anything ‘official’ yet from PIMAX regarding this…

1 Like

Currently, we are involved in developing lenses with two distinct specifications. The first set of lenses provides a wide field of view (FOV) and a PPD value of 35. The second set, on the other hand, offers a higher PPD value of 42. We continuously collect users’ feedback and preferences. This feedback highlights the importance of considering and prioritizing this particular feature in product development or improvement efforts.

1 Like

I’ve got to disagree with you here.

35PPD is 103FoV not wide. It’s a bit better than Beyond and way less than Somniums VR-1 125-128.

The 42PPD are a waste of time imo. No one wants less than 103FoV. 99% of Pimax customers want more not less.

So can you now confirm Pimax are not working on a lens that goes wider than 103FoV or delivers less than 35PPD?

There’s no point pretending at this point.

2 Likes

I agree with this @PimaxQuorra

Please provide compelling use-cases that can justify your company’s time/effort/money to create the 42PPD(Smaller FoV lenses) as compared to a lens that supports a greater FoV.

PIMAX has already committed to provide another (different) set of lenses (the 42PPD) for consumers. They’ve yet to receive them AFAIK.

1 Like

In addition to the default 35PPD lenses, we are working on the development of another set of 35PPD lenses that will provide a larger field of view (FOV). More information regarding this will be unveiled shortly during the AMA event.

We have received feedback from several users expressing their interest in having a 42PPD option. These valuable inputs, including yours and Butter’s, will be documented on the feedback spreadsheet. Our team will evaluate the results and prioritize the highlighted lenses accordingly.

2 Likes

There are total 3 lenses for the Crystal.

• Default 35PPD
  • Large FOV with 35PPD
  • 42PPD
1 Like

Thanks for this information.
It’s a start. Of course having TARGET specs for the 2nd wider FoV lenses would be appropriate. That and the Pros/Minus of these lenses versus others.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you can have 2 lenses with the same PPD but with different FOV. That’s where the confusion comes from.

Look forward to the AMA event later today.

1 Like

Well, pretty simple: you increase the FoV with same PPD at the cost of stereo overlap, i.e. these wide FoV lenses will have less stereo overlap.

And while you say that nobody wants the 42 PPD lenses, I could see a reason for these: if the 35 PPD are just a tad short of being really good for reading documents, excel sheets, websites on virtual, normal-sized monitors, then these lenses could up the resolution for a better working experience. That said, I don’t know if the 35 PPD lenses are just not good enough for that use case, and if using the 42 PPD ones will solve this issue. It’s just a guess.

As a note, the customers for that kind of more business-minded use case are not likely to hang out in this forum though so we don’t hear from them (if anybody wants to use a heavy, bulky headset for that purpose for any extended period of time).

2 Likes

That, or/and a more acute aspheric lens profile - same curvature in the middle, for that 35ppd peak density there, but shooting off more toward the edges, for lower resolution in the periphery. As to how hard it is to do that, without inherently pushing that periphery further out of focus, I will not try to guess… :7

2 Likes

Hi @PimaxQuorra ,

As a flight sim enthusiast I am more interested in the wide FOV lenses.

4 Likes

Well, yes, that’s one use-case there for the 42PPD. Productivity.

Though, without a color pass-thru system for desktop/AR, I’m not all that turned on to working in a closed VR desktop environment

1 Like

So where was the AMA coverage? What info on the wide FOV lenses were released?

1 Like

Discord as advertised

Yeah I found it after I posted. I’m not a fan of discord.

1 Like

No worries mate!

We will publish the event recap shortly.

2 Likes

Thanks, that would be great.

2 Likes