Tyriel Wood - Pimax first impression pre-Review

NOTE: I changed the title of this post from Review to first impression Pre-View as it was not actually a full review of the Pimax itself.

6 Likes

Im not sure what to think of his impressions on the distortion. most at the vr space meetup didnt say it was so bad.

Also how has nobody up until now not mentioned a double image at the edge?

1 Like

I completely agree. I was at the NY backer meetup and I didnā€™t see the amount of distortion I saw when Tyriel and myself were testing the unit for this video. I told Tyriel this and wondered out-loud if maybe something was wrong with the HMD itself. Now there are other posts in this forum about how placement of the HMD on the head could actually greatly reduce the distortion. I sent a copy of that post to Tyriel and I think heā€™s going to try some of those suggestions. BTWā€¦ Tyriel told me that it appears that the unit has 3 dead pixels.

4 Likes

Awesome impressions. Far more informative than anything youā€™ll get from Nathie :+1: Hopefully he can fix all the issues. Always sux when you do someone a favor and it backfires

2 Likes

This is not a review at allā€¦

1 Like

Impressions of the distortions and other faults. Apparently it has dead pixels already. Same as the Thai backer who recieved his today

Double image at the edge were most likely caused by changing FOV without restarting SteamVR.

The problem with first impressions of new Pimax users/testers is that they dont spend more than 5 seconds trying it, and without any further research starts to complain.

Itā€™s very popular to complain. For some reason it gives the impression of being more ā€œseriousā€ and ā€œhonestā€ lolā€¦ i see it every day. I tend to laughā€¦

Having that said, I like Tyriel and his content. But he clearly deserves some more time spent with the headset. Or visit a backer meetup to get a more polished experience with everything setup as its SUPPOSED to be.

7 Likes

Does anyone know why Pimax just sent me my headsetā€¦and nothing else. Iā€™m looking a paper weight .
I can do nothing with this thingā€¦why ship me something I cannot get to operate. I backed a complete 8k packageā€¦and all I receive is a headset I cannot use nowā€¦wtf g

interesting , Nathieā€™s as well. I wonder if this is a problem with all of the panels or just the early ones.
As kickstarter backers I wonder if we get the same warranty coverage as a normal purchaser.

I guess thatā€™s comforting. But Iā€™ll admit I like when things work out of the box as itā€™s supposed to, but I suppose if it doesnā€™t we will fight to make it work because there is no going back now.

I guess it depends on how much you really want it to work, if you are willing to put a little more effort.

are you serious ? The controllers and base stations arenā€™t ready yet. I suspect it has more to do with Valve not wanting 2.0 base stations out before valve has a product that utilizes them , (that product being knuckles)
Hereā€™s hoping that by the time we get notice that our base stations are ready to ship, the knuckles will be released as well.

6 Likes

Sorry Spazz the base stations and controllers wont be ready for 6 months

You can use it with internal gyro-3dof tracking like the Pimax 4k and dk1. For simracing or games supporting xbox (or other) controller input (subnautica, alien isolation, halflife 2 vr mod, all vorpx converted games, etc.).

So actually you can enjoy it already - if you want to.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that I disagree but doesnā€™t that defeat the whole purpose of ā€œfirst impressionsā€ videos? Heā€™s providing his insight/experience what the average Pimax user is going to see when they receive their Pimax WITHOUT the benefit of ā€œtime spent at a backers meetā€ as soon as they begin using the unit! BTW, we spent HOURS testing the unit that day before the video and the issue really was distortions we were experiencing. Tyriel was also in contact with Voodoo during this time of testingā€¦ (how many new Pimax users will have direct Skype access to Voodoo after installation? :smile: ) In any case, he now has the Pimax 5K+ and will be doing followup videos (an actual full review), hopefully youā€™re right and these distortion issues can be easily resolved. Or at the least, greatly reduced which I think/hope he can since I did experience ā€˜a backer meetup that had a more polished experienceā€™ā€¦ and I made that known to Tyriel.

4 Likes

This is why your the vr Jedi.

1 Like

Ah that you, I always see your comparison of each headset, I just get mine yestetday.

My unbox review

I canā€™ t close my box, lol.

1 Like

Verawat. Now you had time to try the 5K are you happy with the headset? ąø”ąøµąø«ąø£ąø·ąø­ą¹„ąø”ą¹ˆąø”ąøµ?

Still need more time to check with other game that I am wow with bigger fov, unlucky I still has problem of tracking by software last night and this morning. So I try to solve this issue perfectly before.

Is VR popular at Pantip now? What headsets do they sell

Not much, but I have vr party thailand and vr market in facebook for second hand by user here.

1 Like