Two new Pimax headsets this year = fail

1 Like

Pimaxes biggest problem is they don’t listen. This trait carries on to their two new headsets slated for Q2 and Q4 2024.

The biggest problem for me with Crystal is not the battery, not the optics and not the panels. The biggest problem for me is the size. So Pimax are going to release two new headsets and change the things that are none issue and keep the biggest issue as is.

Sure the price is the second biggest issue and that could be rectified by chopping bits off here or there but I doubt there will be any huge reductions. Without the XR2 chip what will Crystal do for controllers?

The high end model coming in Q4 with its Micro OLEDs is only going to up the price of what was already an expensive HMD and push it into an even worse price bracket.

I guess Pimax are in panic mode right now and felt the need to set fire of the candle at both ends.

Imo BSB with its £1100 price bracket, size and Micro OLEDs is forcing Pimaxes hand here and it wouldn’t surprise me to see a new BSB announcement by the end of the year.

1 Like

Pimax need to forget Crystal. Design an all new chassis from the ground up. Smaller, lighter. Cheaper.

1 Like

Wow 3hours after posting and not 1 reply.

1 Like

This forum was not always the fastest one for any replies to any posts, so I would recommend to be more patient…
You are probably also aware of the „Sleeping Phase“ currently this forum is heavily affected by, I am sure this will change in the coming months, exspecially with the final Somnium VR 1 release being just around the corner…

1 Like

Well, now we know what‘s cooking. As usual, on paper it sounds good to great. But the 12K sounded great too, but it‘s nowhere to be seen, not even a mention (other than in the non-eligibility of the Crystal Light for trade-in‘s).

So I wish Pimax the best to make their new headsets happen, they took good decisions in terms of feature sets. But they‘ll need to execute them well, if customers are asked to spend 2-3 grand (including sales tax) on their new flaggship. That is the area I am rather nervous about with Pimax.

1 Like

Yeah I feel the same about Pimax. Crystal is still waiting for the Wifi to be turned on but they’d now rather talk about a $299 add-on. My Pico 4s been Streaming for months and now has an even better APP.

The new headsets sound good on paper. The lower Crystal Light is a good move as I’ve been asking for a cheap models for years. But cutting eye tracking and the backlight is a hard pill to swallow.

The highend model sounds crazy and I think we need more time to digest the implications of buying Optical cartriges. Could be good, could be bad. Depends on price.

No 12k what a shocker.

As allways we have to wait for review units before getting our hopes too high. And by that time we will no doubt see other headsets emerge that can make or break these new announcements.

Good for Pimax though, they’re trying something new, so can’r knock them for that.

3 Likes

Could you check your messages, I’m trying to get in touch with you with a Xtal question.

Thnx

I am not sure the decision to cut the eye-tracking & and auto IPD was a good one: this may have helped shave another $200 of the price, but means no DFR is available for what remains a high resolution.

But I admit the price of the Crystal Light may open up market segments they simply would not have access to with that $200 higher price tag.

1 Like

Pimax have booked a success, RoadtoVR & UploadVR both do report on the news from Pimax:

But both at the same time caution their readers to expect delays based on the track record of Pimax:

Our original article about the “12K” announcement concluded, “this new headset, and all that’s planned to come with it, is a chance for the company to show it has left its growing pains behind.”

Two and a half years later, it’s clear to see that the growing pains remain.

(Pimax Has Two New Headsets on the Way While Older Promises Remain Unfulfilled)

Pimax claims Crystal Light will start shipping in May and Crystal Super will ship in late 2024. However, Pimax has a long history of repeatedly failing to meet its deadlines and of shipping products without promised features. We strongly recommend exercising caution by waiting for reviews of final hardware before placing an order.

(New Pimax PC VR Headsets: Crystal Light & Crystal Super)

I recall being attacked by a certain Pimax employee at the time for doubting their ability to deliver what they promise within the time-frames announced. In hindsight I was overly optimistic. So yes, to anybody getting excited about the new product announcements: be patient, and think twice about pre-ordering or purchasing any Pimax gear based on trade-in programs. Make your purchasing decision only once the product has proven to be available and based on the reviews of independent 3rd parties. Only then you will know what you get.

3 Likes