Twack3rs Varjo VR-3 impressions

Wow that’s ~$5,520 USD or 425% the price of an 8KX and close to 800% over an HP G2. B2B indeed.

1 Like

Not to sound salty, so please do not take offence Kevin.
With the Varjo VR-3 you get what you pay for, a premium product with premium support.

There are no hinges that do not go down far enough, no eyetracker that does not work properly, no lenses that cannot accommodate the advertised IPD range without eyestrain, no missing facefoam in the box etc. No missing possiblity of mounting prescription lenses as promised in the eyetracker.
No need to continue the list :slight_smile: but I’m sure it’s a lot longer :wink:

Don’t get me wrong, I really love my 8KX :grinning:
I just wanted to point out that you cannot compare the two products, apples to apples.

@twack3r sorry for the partly thread highjacking

14 Likes

The yearly support if like Xtal I believe also includes maintenance warranties. However if the product become a paperweight without the yearly subscription definitely not a great investment unless your a business and your getting extremely quick exchanges on the headset if it breaks. Ie should be within 5 days.

But do agree it is a case of getting premium product; though more the premium support.

Not sure why pimax is still advertising outside of the mechanical ipd support with only mentioning that may support ipd x to y via software. Or the fact 3 years in with no Official ipd setup procedure since launch. The ipd guided setup should have been implemented within 6 months of product launch/release. Without needing the community do majority of the leg work.

4 Likes

I made no evaluation on how it should be valued as I am sure you agree different people will place different values on features. I just did the calc converting it to USD and thought wow that is indeed a lot.

The primary feature is just 27 degrees of high resolution area - if that is worth an extra $5000 over a G2 for example to you then that is an awesome thing as you have found your ideal mix. I imagine there will also be those who think 27 degrees of high res is a less valuable feature than that.

Your evaluation on the VR-3 premium value seems to be based on the strength of 1 person’s opinion. Wait until there are 100+ opinions, as always many divergent opinions are sure to appear and it’s likely not all of them will be positive.

No-one has any experience with what sort of support you might get out of that. Hopefully they give boutique level support with a high ratio support to user base. Replacements, parts, troubleshooting and more are all part of that and can sometimes be quite complex.

Well there is at least 2 reviews on Varjo hmds here.

Like RoboVR1, RoboVR2 later Xtal 5k and 8k Models these are Enterprise Targeted hmds. The High Cost to own is in part due to very High quality testing standards than a Mass produced Hmd. Meaning that 1 defective headset holds more weight as fewer units are made and sold.

The support and Warranty subscription is much stronger than a regular headset. And why these specialty headsets are not priced to move.

However there are headsets that can compare to pimax. Like even the Vive Pro Eye of which the Eye Tracking works quite well. Unfortunately both Pimax and 7invensun rushed this product out in a very unready for release state. The MASes should have been the focus.

Which by your own reports it is great there are taking there time to try and get the DMAS right on release. Especially after the SMAS and even some of the design issues on the KDMAS(ie no laterial adjustment towards ears; thankfully @grodenglaive has created a simple solution in a 3dprintable). And of course the MAS’ hinges(not corrected yet based on reports) and no foam oem options save main foam of thick or thin; the rear foam for exanple should have come with 2 thickness or addon for smaller heads.

The hinges though are still the source of some main comfort issues in reviews as one shpuldn’t be being encouraged to force the hinges past the stops.

That being said I do agree with your sentiment on the exuberant price of the Varjo; however as VRgineers teased it is likely after Varjo makes aome “enterprise capitol” to recoup investments in R&D. They are likely to either release or license a consumer version. Though that is not likely for imho at least a year or two

Pimax just needs to focus on getting a variety of what should have been small details resolved that should have happened long ago; that they have been well aware of. As you are someone with a fair amount of experience. I am sure you would agree it can be difficult to keep a company with items falling through the cracks or buried with other things placed on a growing stack sometimes lost in the shuffle.

1 Like

This is a thread about the VR-3 and I think the question would be is a 27 degree high resolution area feature worth an extra $5,000 + $1000/year over an HP G2 or any other VR headset.

I think for twack3r he clearly thinks that feature offers a lot of value.

Reducing the VR-3 to the 70ppd focus area is a bit short-sighted, particularly coming from a competitor.

• better ergonomics (please do look at the headstrap construction, it’s very interesting and could be a great evolution of the CK)
  • better lenses with no distortion (this isn’t just a function of large FOV HMDs; anecdotally, for me the sweetspot and the distortion of the G2 were horrendous)
  • better, higher res OLED panels in addition to the 70ppd focus displays
  • UltraLeap hand tracking working and built-in
  • eye-tracking working and built-in with a functional and high performance FFR and DFR stack
  • automatic IPD adjustment resulting in absolutely no eye-strain
  • active eye-box cooling
  • very stable and non-jittery SteamVR tracking (considerably more stable than my 8KX ever managed)
  • super fast and competent support services

Cons are the price and the FOV which is definitely smaller than the 8KX and pretty much on Index level.

Regarding the focus displays it’s a bit disingenious to compare them to competitors but compared to let’s say the G2 and the 8KX in particular, the VR-3`s 70ppd area is larger by an order of magnitude than the clear sweetspot of both the G2 and the 8KX. Additionally, the OLED context panels themselves are higher ppd than the G2’s or the 8KX’s panels, better color, better contrast and above all, can be seen clearly across the entire FOV.

Full agreement on the price but the delieverd product is nothing short of spectacular.

10 Likes

I was just about to say that he explained the premium benefits to be much more than just the “27 degree high resolution”

7 Likes

What is that any time a new headset is released you feel you need to bash it here in the forum? It just comes across as insecure and childish

5 Likes

I guess instead of discussing the merits of the headset you go with personal attacks instead. Nothing in your post about VR, the VR3 or anything related to the topic.

You could have just said you think the features are game changing and well worth $5,500 but instead you take the low road.

Twack3r’s reply was quite nice.

I wouldn’t take anything said as a personal attack to you, but more constructive criticism on where Pimax could improve future headsets @PimaxUSA

My suggestion would be why not look into doing stacked displays yourselves, that way you could compete with Varjo’s main USP/UVP at a consumer price point?

4 Likes

Remove the yearly subscript, 3 year Warranty and I think many with the finances say it would be.

4 Likes

I ve just discovered that there is an option for an unlimited support option , you pay 2495 € + VAT and can use the vr 3 for ever :slight_smile:

link : https://www.imsys-vr.de/project/varjo-vr-3/?lang=en

1 Like

Yes, and you can always upgrade to that version and the license you already paid for will be counted towards the price of the unlimited license.

5 Likes

That’s still 3195 euros + 2495 euros subscription = over 5500 euros for a headset that will become obsolete in a few years time as new VR technology floods the market.

5 Likes

If I would sell my other hmds it wouldnt be that expensive :smiley:

400€ g2
400€ index
250€ pimax xr

(irony on)

I am not sure if there will be an hmd with these ( vr 3) features in couple of years though

1 Like

My biggest concern with this headset is that the texture resolution in games is just too low for this headset to really shine. You already touched upon this subject in hla. But what about other games? I guess it’s the same in pretty much all games?

2 Likes

Thats why I am still considering getting a star vr one ; D

Texture mods in Skyrim and the like maybe. :thinking:

3 Likes

As I mainly use VR for simracing it’s actually less of an issue as modern sims feature high res textures anyway for pancake mode. And even AC looks incredible when properly modded.

Regarding HL:A it’s not exactly that the textures appear low res; it‘s simply that they can be recognized as textures whereas before HMD resolution kinda covered the uncanny valley aspect.

But going into any photogrammetry based application is insane! This is where the line between VR and reality gets actually blurred. It‘s astonishing and allows an exciting glimpse of what impact VR will have on e.g. education, training and collaborative off-site workplaces in the very near future.

6 Likes