Tomshardware review of 5K+ [30th Sept]

It seems that’s not necessarily true, since the StarVR One also is AMOLED and is full RGB. I do believe though that the Vive Pro is pentile, because otherwise HTC would have probably told us. But still, I haven’t seen any convincing info on it.

1 Like

Yeah but remember StarVR said custom rgb oled panels.

So we know htc & Oculus like Samsung whom use pentile.

StarVR custom panels might be made by LG which has rgb flavours of oled.

1 Like

@Heliosurge I gotta ask. Do you have some close personal relationship with the writer? Or some stake in the TH site? Ever since his review dropped and got the response it has gotten you have jumped to defend and try and explain away the shortcomings of his review. I mean if anyone were to go and take a look at your posts and replies to posts, like I have, this defense has been from the start and fierce and it seems you are trying to run blocker at every turn. It looks odd I gotta say.

Hopefully he actually decides to include useful user exp info if he writes further on the topic. But for now, his review is a toss out for most it seems.

2 Likes

Check out thr Real’o’virtual review. I gave the same support in their article which looks far worst than the TH article.

I simply understand from my pov how to read an article & take away what has meaning to my tech level vs a user whom has little to none. You shouldn’t be surprised as the biggest BS marketing with PCs is user friendly.

I’d rather setup a friend on linux than give them a window’s pc. I have spent hours cleaning non tech savy friends of 20+ toolbars & removing a 100+ desktop icons simply due to a user saying yes.

So special relationship not really. I have met Pumcy where as I haven’t met Oscar. Let’s not forget the RoadToVR outrage because Ben didn’t give a favorable review/impression of the v5. We all just need to chill. Not everything is going to br sugar plums & candy canes.

Here Pumcy has more freedom to say things more than with publications controlled by an editor.

3 Likes

Comments like this you would expect from a 12 year old. Have some respect for the guy Martin. Hes a tech reporter. Theres no conapiricy going on. You are proving to be a true narcissist

1 Like

It’s helio, he sees things from everyones pov

3 Likes

Let’s try and get back to us all getting along in general.

Lately were all getting fired up with our passions. Step back & become s vulcan.

Live long & prosper. :v::alien::+1::sparkles::beers:

It just fustrates me to see Sweviver abusing anyone who doesnt agree with him :slight_smile: This ia a good honest review for the general buyer. There will likely be more just like it especially from those who dont follow the forum

3 Likes

Seems fair I’d say. As a VR combat flight sim enthusiast, the headset would likely rate at 4.5 if the performance is good. With OK performance it goes down to maybe 3.5. For VR enthusiasts, 3 is probably is probably fair if the distortion is a real but manageable problem.

It annoys me how fast people can turn defensive about a product that’s not even out yet.

2 Likes

If I paid for that review, id ask for my money back. How can the Pimax be classified as not better, just different to the HTC vive and Oculus. Thats seriously some crazy imagination there. Perhaps to a myopic Badger or something :upside_down:

1 Like

Agreed. @Pumcy is stubbornly sticking to this comment, despite numerous contradictory first-hand experiences from Berlin backers. Both Seb & Martin have expressed astonishment at this statement and have directly challenged him, to no avail.

Clearly, @Pumcy has a bias, and it becomes all the more evident when he’s pressed to state the criteria he used to make his judgment. It’s particularly unfortunate that the community is getting a front row seat to his lack of integrity being laid bear, by his inability to own his bias.

If folks in the community are incensed about this clearly (IMO) disingenuous ‘review’, I would suggest taking your negative energy and put it to a positive use by writing to the editors of TH to voice your reasoned disagreement.

1 Like

Off topic: demonstration of this forum

5 Likes

LMAO, if only we were all characters from Blackadder :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds a bit over the top to me… I don’t necessary disagree with you, but ultimately, the Pimax HMD’s are shipping as we speak (fingers crossed)… it’s only a short matter of time before an overwhelming amount of reviews will either prove him right or wrong. No point going after the man professionally… he too put himself on the line (rep wise) like SweViver and MRTV.

Though I am going to say… the Vive Pro is better? HUH??? In my opinion, my Samsung Odyssey which cost half the price is better than the Vive Pro!!! And it would work just fine with the specs Pumcy used with his review of the Pimax!!!

2 Likes

While I do feel strongly that his inability to admit his bias is an integrity issue, I’m not suggesting the community goes after the man professionally, hence my “positive use” and “reasoned disagreement”. IMO, this ‘review’ should have never gone past the editors desk ‘as is’. It’s at least equally an editing failure and addressing that aspect will hopefully give the editors pause with regards to minimizing personal bias.

There are loads of people not agreeing with me, and I have no problem with that. Everyone has the freedom to have their opinion and I fully respect that.

But in this case, working (free or not) for a huge company such as Toms Hardware - with huge influence on the industry - is something not anyone can or should do, and requires some level of knowledge and experience. Stating things like a 2 year old low resolution loow fov headset being better than the latest tech reaching the market is - in my opinion - making a fool of yourself.

I had bigger thoughts about Toms Hardware, but lately I have changed my mind, no matter who the writer is, the review says not much about the headset or the technology itself, more than the reviewers struggles getting it to work, which I at least find very funny. Not being able to use Large FOV at all and blaming on your PC is a big joke to me as everyone else having the m2 headsets can use the Large FOV.

I see this basically as a lack of knowledge or experience.

Want to hear the truth by the way?

Pumcy was one of the guys completely ignoring the whole Pimax m1 beta phase. Writing basically 1 post, kind of a script of an upcoming written review, around 2 weeks into the testings. Then he disappeared. Completely. No beta testing whatsoever no engagement, no effort made. I really do not understand how this guy was even picked into the beta test group as we have probably 5000 other backers which could have made a better job during those 3 months.

Now he pops up after playing around with the 5K+ for a day or two, not even caring about setting it up correctly, or even using a proper GPU for the tests - and he blaims on the headset.

Oh well, he got 350 bucks for the effort doing his flat rate review… that covers 2 days of his work I guess.

If you find this post offending, its not my problem. Im giving you my personal opinion about all this drama. This whole thread is completely nonsense and that review should have never existed as it only messes up peoples minds even more.

Im sorry but I just cannot take either Pumcy or his review seriously. Whenever he works for TH or Obama.

16 Likes

Incredible how people who haven’t even touched the product are rubbishing Pumacy for his average review. We need to remember of the 10+ testers most of them gave it an aveage review also but were rubbished to death for it. This is not a gen two device. Its a wide FOV 1440p consumer priced headset. Pimax have not jumped ahead with some newly released display tech. Its just a mix of whats currently available

2 Likes

I give the man credit for answering everything thrown at him… you can’t prove its a bias! I’ve seen our youtubers lose it (temporarily) for less than want pumcy has had to deal with.

That’s sorta strange… that would imply that the editor would have done the review himself to verity what the writer wrote is accurate. You can expect editors to do that. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me.

3 Likes

Hillary worked for Obama… You took her seriously???

1 Like

Of course I can’t prove that but his choice of giving headstrap, headphones, etc equal ‘weighting’ to improved FOV, SDE, resolution, etc is so incomprehensible to me that I’m beating my head to rationalize how it could not be an implicit bias and coming up with nada.

I base this statement on my wife (journalism major) being an editor for a university communications dept and fact checking is considered her primary responsibility.