Tokyo info on the new Pimax 8k Vision?

So, the new Pimax 8k Vision was demonstrated to the public last weekend in Tokyo @ Tokyo GameShow 2019. Does anybody have some info? Photos, videos, reviews, specs, anything at all? Would be interesting to hear.

@Jien1963D can you tell us anything about it?

12 Likes

This is all we know so far

8K+RE headsets from Face book, by [Stephen Bowman]

Currently testing the enterprise focused Pimax 5K+RE & 8K+RE headsets at our London offices. All in all, pretty impressed so far. Specificslly the 8K+RE which appears to have an improved set of display panels, which deliver near zero SDE and much sharper visuals (certainly as far as any of our testers could see). The lenses are the same existing ones. The units feel firmer, less case flex and the finish on the plastic (slightly rubbery/satin) seems more ready for the knocks that units in LBE & business settings tend to get. The RGB front stripe doesn’t feature on the RE models, instead there is a polished metal chevron, along with metal buttons and a metal Pimax logo recessed into the front. Tracking and use with PiTool are the same as the non RE units, aside from the 8K+RE which seems to come up as an 8K+ in PiTool. Will update you further as we continue to test these. Stephen. VR-Centre.co.uk

There could be new lenses in the revised consumer models, having regard to the above comments about the demoed prototype 8k+ missing some peices, Pimax waiting on samples to arrive, and considering the 8KX specs listed greater panel utilization, which is likely what they were waiting for, that would be great news im sure most people would be excited for.

6 Likes

Interesting, I missed that post. I wonder if this is the same as the 8k ‘vision’, but as he’s talking about new panels, I guess it is.

1 Like

I don’t think 8k vision is the official name, people picked it up from the fact pimax has said there are headset revisions in the works for the 5k+ and the 8k. It might be that its called 8k+ ReVision.

As I understand it, 8K has been updated to the new 4K RGB panels from 8K X.
Thus, Pimax indirectly confirms the fallacy of the current panels in 8K.
This pleases, of course, and gives hope for some kind of exchange / update of the current 8K.
Well, I look forward to news from Pimax, and the old 8K will retire.

8K was supposed to be exactly this way from the very beginning, with such clear 4K RGB panels, and not the panels that are now in the form of a Pentile structure.

In general, I think this is a good sign for all of us, especially 8K owners.

Thanks for the news that should have come from Pimax, but somewhere lingered on the road due to a hurricane, apparently :grin::beers:

3 Likes

Whatever it is if they try and debut it with a cloth strap they will once again become the laughing stock of the vr community. There was ONE complaint that literally all youtube and tech reviewers agreed on and that is was amateurish to debut a headset with a cloth strap. I can only hope that is one of the parts they are awaiting on to arrive and the cloth strap will be tossed in the dumpster.

1 Like

Don’t be silly, rigid headstrap hasn’t been a priority. We are expected to sort it out amongst ourselves and fit Vive ones

4 Likes

None of the accessories have ever been a priority but if Pimax ever wants to move past being a “somewhat successful kickstarter” and actually join the table of competant VR company’s that people actually pay attention too then providing a full, no BS kit with everything(controllers, strap, LHs) should be TOP priority.

4 Likes

You are wrong.
Pimax 8K+ and Pimax 8K X have different rendering resolutions.
Using instead the same panel means Pimax does not want to make two new 8k vr headsets
But this is unlikely because Pimax 8K X is not cheap and they need something
between (a new) 5k+ and 8K X

1 Like

I agree, that Pimax should slim down the HMD models. If the 8K+ and 8KX use the same panels, then that one less part-model they need to keep in stock. That simplifies inventory and leads to higher quantities purchased (and generally a lower price per part).

I’m not sure a 8K+ makes all that much sense though. Most of the parts for both models will be the same, especially now that the 8KX only needs a single cable. Basically the difference would probably be a larger circuit card with an additional chip and a few more components. That’s going to add to the costs, but there are savings to be had from not having to stock both cards. I think it might be better to skip the 8K+ and offer the 8KX as inexpensively as possible.

Conversely, Pimax could decide to make the 8KX a luxury model, with additional features, perhaps a proximity detector, eye-tracking, counterweight, and maybe some bonuses (like fans). If Pimax makes it a premium model with a high pricetag, they had better improve their support, communication, and customer relations.

7 Likes

You misunderstood something :wink:

It was about the resolution of the panels, not the resolution of rendering.
Of course, 8K should have a native resolution for one eye 2560x1440 with upscaling to 4K.
At least it looks that way with real 4K RGB panels.

It’s all about panel resolution. It should have been like in the case of Pimax 4K.
But, as the comparison practice has shown, 8K decently does not reach the Pimax 4K in terms of definition quality and SDE, unfortunately.

Therefore, it should have been true 4K RGB panels initially, and not PenTile.
And native resolution of rendering - is another question :beer:

3 Likes

I certainly had thought it would be, based on the original Kickstarter info.

My biggest issue with my 8K is that the SDE is very noticeable. My second biggest issue is blurriness. Both should be fixed by 8KX. The 8K+ might be a significant improvement over an 8K, but I doubt I’d spend money on an upgrade (to the 8K+). I will consider the 8KX, but I won’t buy one, unless the price is reasonable.

2 Likes

Yes, I will also stick to roughly the same plan.
If we are given preferential conditions for replacement with 8K +, then I will replace it with pleasure.
Well, and the price of 8KX also matters, of course :moneybag: :grin:

Century. You have continually mentioned this upgrade path for many months now. I suspect though you’re barking up the wrong tree with a massive dose of wishful thinking. Pimax aren’t in the business of haemorrhaging money this way to appease a few backers (who already were given their headsets). It might be a bitter-pill to swallow but this is business. At best they might offer a trade-in deal like they have with the 4K. Get $100 OFF if you send in the old headset. I just think you’re setting yourself up for major disappointment. If I am wrong then I won’t eat my hat but would be very surprised.

4 Likes

A few more months without the lhes+controllers and I’m not eating my hat.

2 Likes

To me, and many other 8K backers, this moment is very unpleasant with the wrong 8K panels, which keep it in quality at a lower level than it should have been originally, than it was advertised by Pimax itself.

But it’s clear that this is a Kickstarter with all the consequences, etc.

However, if they already have a program to exchange even old P4Ks for a new series, it will be more logical and correct to replace 8K with 8K + (especially if the price of 8K + is only $ 100 higher).

In any case, I will plan replace my 8K with 8K + or 8KX by any means, will it be a Pimax program or will I have to purchase in shop.

I just want to get the “right” Pimax, not Pimax “with fake panels.” Everything is simple :beer:

Naturally, my hopes are primarily on Pimax, as a company that is responsible for its products.

Good business is when the client is always right.
Without customer satisfaction, there will be no good business.The laws of the market.
Moreover, in this case with 8K, the company itself did not live up to expectations with the quality of the goods. In large companies, this is quickly corrected, and units of production are withdrawn from customers and replaced with those corresponding to quality.

Of course, it is unlikely that we can apply such definitions for a small company. Nevertheless, I wonder what path Pimax wants to go.
They do not produce donuts, but high-tech entertainment products, where the positive experience of customers comes first in importance for the success of the campaign.
In the end, they themselves promised benefits to their backers in all new products.

1 Like

Well as long as you accept there is going to be a cost involved (for the consumer) then that’s all good.

1 Like

Yes, of course, I understand very well that an additional charge will be required, and I always offered it for Pimax. I just really don’t feel like wasting time and messing around with the old 8K, deciding where to sell it myself.

I understand your frustrations with the 8k as it turned out to be a bit of a letdown from what it was said to be.
The difference between the 5k+ & 8k would have never been so close if it had proper 4k rgb screens.
I think the truth got bent a bit here & there & even official answers about the panels were not correct.
I do honestly think that wasnt intentional as anyone who said it was rgb probably thought it was, while its possible someone who knew it wasn’t, stayed silent.

In the end im relatively happy with what we received from the kickstarter.
It did deliver after all & on the whole the hmds werent too bad.
The hmds never quite lived up to the hype & could be problematic but they were half way there.

I definitely would not consider another pimax product until current outstanding commitnents were fulfilled though.

I just want the rest of the package to be delivered now so i can either move on or maybe even decide to give pimax another chance on a future hmd.
(I would probably skip anything soon though as i am now happy with almost all aspects of my index & dont want to sacrifice that)

I think an exchange program is unreasonable, but discount for anyone who ks backed an original 8k would show good will for the underperformance of the 8k & maybe even rebuild some broken bridges with the community.

6 Likes

Agreed.Yes, the lack of news is even more burdensome than any decision. I want to get the rest of the package as soon as possible, and then solve all questions about replacing my 8K with 8K + or 8KX.
I hope the news volcano erupts soon (preferably without casualties :grin::grin: )

2 Likes