To any CES attendees checking out the 8K X - could you try games with really fast movement?

You can try 72hz mode by tweaking Pitool. I think that will help you understand how it is.

4 Likes

If those sorts of games are the only ones you play, you should consider an 8K+.

The 8KX is better suited for cockpit games with a lot of detail on the dashboard and in the far distance, as well as watching high-def movies. If those applications also appeal to you, then the 8KX is still a good choice, since it has a 90 Hz fallback mode at 2560x1440 (which is the same as an 8K+).

That is an excellent suggestion!

4 Likes

I would like to add that this often is not only refresh rate but also deeper into the panels themselves. How fast can a “pixel” change from a gray to gray? (There have been length discussions about this on the forum)

A short text to it, even though the panel does not fit, but some ideas if gray to gray is not familiar: So What About Gray-to-Gray Latency? - ViewSonic Overdrive LCDs: A New Era of Very Fast Panels? | Tom's Hardware .

Disappointingly even my Asus ROG is not always good at that - even with 100hz GSync. I have not measured it, but my new TV seems to supersede the ROG quite a bit. :frowning:

So, it still would be nice to get some impressions from the CES Units about this - no matter if 90hz or 75hz! But I guess it will be highly subjective on how this is perceived.

In the 5k with 120hz this is still noticeable for me depending on the scenario in the game.

Not sure if its just me… but I often have the feeling, that if i move my head fast left-right this is less worse than using the keyboard to do the same - no idea why (brain to lazy to think about it at the moment).

Edit:
If you want to play around a bit…
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php#response_time_gif
(Use Firefox or Chrome, not Edge/IE - the site dislikes them, also a grain of salt since there is not much to see how they actually do rendering and the like)

5 Likes

I will be out there with them for 5 days and if i can log into my personal accounts on their PC’s I have everything there is on the Oculus store and also a lot of games from Steam so any in particular you want me to try and test?

7 Likes

I’m curious but how does brainwarp work with an odd number like 75?

Sweviver once mentioned that his FPSVR showed 37fps when smart smoothing enabled as I remember.

Found it!

4 Likes

Check out Stormland!

4 Likes

Sure thing… Like I said as long as I’m allowed to log into my Oculus account I will have access to anything in the Rift store so that shouldn’t be a problem! []-)

4 Likes

I will be at CES. If I get the chance, I will definitely try something like PavlovVR, though I have much higher expectations for instruments and text as would be found with DCS World.

2 Likes

They’re probably not going to want to let you download and install games in the middle of a tradeshow. That would be mental, you could easily wreck their entire test setup.

3 Likes

Maybe just message @SweViver, I guess he has everything any way and pimax also, they could arrange that they have wide variety of stuff installed.

1 Like

To be honest, all I need is one good look at a virtual monitor from SteamVR dashboard, some text from Elite Dangerous HUD, or anything similar, to know if the Pimax 8kX has the >1.5x^2 better readability than the 5k+ as I expect.

PavlovVR will probably be available, and it should be immediately obvious upon loading the ‘Sand’ map whether the usual ‘haze’ has been further reduced, iron sights are more usable, etc.

Also, Pimax staff were very accommodating at CES last year. :wink:

EDIT: That said, I remember reading something on these forums about the GPUs used at Pimax demos having a little less performance due to cooling issues, so expect whatever is shown at CES to be even better on a fully built-for-maximum-performance machine.

3 Likes

They are flying me out there tomorrow to work with them in their booth and I will be meeting Martin and the rest of the Pimax team then so I will confer with him and see what they will have available. I was just mentioning it since I have a vast library and can pretty much get any game I want these days! [;]-)

2 Likes

I will actually be there with them starting tomorrow and was mostly thinking of doing this before the show starts as I’m pretty sure I will get some play time with the 8KX prior to the public showings during CES… Pimax is flying me out to join their team for CES this year! []-)

5 Likes

Congrats!

If I may, I would like to suggest considering including DCS World with the FA18C Hornet specifically. The color AMPCD is an especially… useful benchmark… for VR users, with total SR values as high as 2x showing specifically notable improvements.

2 Likes

I’d like some info about Boneworks, Asrgards, Dirt Rally2 and Assetto Corsa, thank you

4 Likes

Yeah I am really hoping they will have Boneworks set up as I have been waiting to play it until I could experience it with the 8KX and a set of Index controllers… currently I still only have the Vive wands! All of the others you listed I already have so I will see if we can test them while at the show or I will for sure personally give them another look as soon as I get my 8KX! []-)

1 Like

Pretty sure they already have DCS set up so I will ask Martin if the FA18C Hornet is available.

3 Likes

I intended this thread to be specifically about looking for limitations/specific fast-reaction game issues the 8KX would have due to the low refresh rate as I think it’s already pretty clear it’s got great resolution based on @SweViver’s posts and the other comments we’ve seen from people who got to try a unit.

My fear is that due to the typically short testing time people will have with the HMD (prior to purchase), any artifacting/effects due to the 75 Hz rate will probably be missed.

4 Likes

If you can try some multiplayer sessions in Eleven: Table Tennis VR, First Person Tennis or other sport-type games I’d appreciate feedback on what you see of the paddle/racket when you or the opponent swings really fast. Also, does the ball motion seem smooth?

4 Likes