Through The Lenses video: Pimax 5K+ vs Odyssey FOV comparison in Project Cars 2

I think, for people who have not tried a wide FOV headset, this might be quite interesting :slight_smile:
Let me know what you think guys!

Note: Yes I used Smart Smoothing re-projection on the Pimax, which explains the slight ghosting/judder on the left car mirror:)

9 Likes

Many weeks ago our clan did a pc2 night, I couldn’t get my 5k+ to behave at the time so quickly switched to ody+. It was my first attempt with pc2 since vive/rift days and it was really good.

A week later we did another session and my 5k+ was behaving so I played with that… It was sooo much better on the pimax!

Generally FOV has been lower on my personal priorities for VR, compared to comfort and improved visual quality (including resolution/detail along with the usual side effects such as sde, god rays, glare, ghosting, colour quality etc…) but my experience with pc2 definitely showed the advantage of pimax FOV to me.

Great vid to help illustrate this.

4 Likes

Nice video, I wonder if i think so after comparing Reverb with the 5K+

1 Like

@SweViver Martin nice video but there is one mistake, Odyssey FOV horizontally is close to 100. Pimax fovs on your slides are measured horizontally so I don’t know why you talked and compared all around about diagonal 110 for Samsung vs horizontal fov for Pimax :slight_smile:

And this is the reason why Pimax small FOV has such a clear advantage over Samsung. It’s not 7 degree as you reffered but 12,5 or more at each side.

1 Like

Just ignore anybody claiming anything about diagonal FOV until they show us a display that has opposing corners visible. If they want a high number for marketing, use horisontal field of view with both eyes. Next step up, specify both horisontal and vertical, then overlap range. If you want a more accurate picture, take wide angle imagery like this, calibrate the camera, and draw angle contours. Or, if you trust the distortion mapping, use a reference test image.

That said, the visual comparison provided by SweViver, while it doesn’t give us simple numbers, is much clearer in concept. What’s shown must be visible, barring minor adjustment like eye to lens distance. Perhaps I should 3D print a mannequin head for reference…

3 Likes