Through lens test request: Il2 Battle of Stalingrad 3.001 update

Hi guys. Would it be possible to have a through the lens demo of this title?

I know there are requests for DCS but this is the penultimate WW2 combat flight sim at the moment with VR implementation which is supposed to be very good.

It runs very well for me at 1440p on my 144Hz monitor but it would be great to see cockpit instrumentation, cloud flying and out of the cockpit over Stalingrad video to see how well it translates on the 8K HMD.

There is a strong VR community for this title and a through the lens 8K test I will be more than happy to post a direct link under the Il2 Sturmovik hardware VR and General forums.

Choice of plane, Me 109 F and Il2 1942 flying at 1000m looking at ground objects (hunting). Autumn and Winter Stalingrad Map or if you are happy to, the Battle of Kuban Spring map flying low over the mountains on a sunny day in a Spitfire Vb with light clouds and snow capped mountians.

Much appreciated. )

2 Likes

Not sure this is a good idea for the demonstration, but it should be done to improve the support of the 8K…
Why : because IL2BOS should have the best framerate in VR but it also had some problems with VR helmet other than Vive or Rift.
All Windows ME are KO natively (wrong IPD or resolution), and even the PIMAX 4K is not working a 100% with IL2 Bos. There are some black area in the left part of right eye and in the right part of left eye.
But Piplay is also to be improved : when trying to understand what’s going on, with my Pimax 4K, I found that the display res. read by steamVR and IL2BOS are not the good one, morevoer, they differ form IL2BOs and steamVR, and on top of that, the res. givent by Piplay is changing when you change the IPD ! see http://community.openmr.ai/t/wrong-resolution-pushed-to-steamvr-for-pimax-4k/5206/8

2 Likes

Ok, after reading your linked discussion on the Pimax 4K, it seemed the issue was with IPD adjustment and newer PiPlay versions not supporting an adjustment lower than 55, 50 being the required adjustment to get Il2 BoS running well on that HMD.

This would be good to be tested and ironed out for the 8K before release. Seeing that and the res of the new HMD’s with Il2 BoS would be wonderful and there would be many existing Vive and Rift owners ready to jump to an 8K upgrade if they knew that the 8K played well with the Sim.

The 2 things desperately needed in this VR environment the 8K should be able to provide, decent res and wide FOV.

I would also like to see IL2 BOS through the lens test. This sim was the main reason for me to become a backer for 8K.

Me too, currently this game is nr 1 on my VR list. But I will be suprised if it works out of the box without any issues with scale/ipd. I hope @SweViver will test it as he run this game last year. IL-2 Sturmovik VR Gameplay on HTC Vive - World War 2 Combat Flight Simulator update with VR support! - YouTube

1 Like

IL2 is on my list of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But if you were a tester of the M1, would Pimax let you make videos of the device, Martin?

1 Like

At this moment I cant disclosure much information, but during the (probably quite short) closed beta test period no one will post public videos, tests or reviews, until the closed beta testing is over. After that, every one of the testers are free to make videos of any kind to the public of course.

I think that is a good idea, especially if (for example) some software/tests doesnt work out as expected on closed beta day 1, but can get addressed and fixed by day 2 or 3.

9 Likes

Are you allowed to tell us when you receive your unit?

1 Like

I think Pimax team will announce all M1 testers as soon as they are delivered.

4 Likes

Hey Sweviver. In one of your reviews you should get some some friends to give their honest opinion of the headset. It was great how you did that at one of the conventions you went to. It was convincing to see so many people have the same positive reaction. Cheers

3 Likes

Thats a very good idea, thanks mate, I will remember that! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah right, we all know you’re one of the testers already, please try not to hide anymore.

And if they haven’t tried your Vive, I’d suggest letting them try both units, so we can get a comparison from unbiased people.

Great ! please download new version and also consider Kuban DLC there is a lot of VR improvment and visuals since your last year YT video test. Version 3.001 Launched - Battle of Kuban is Officially Released - Announcements - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

you may perhaps need my mod : 3DMigoto mod for VR - Virtual Reality and VR Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum it helps people having problem with window ME headset and BoS…

Does your mod fix WMR issue? I looked a little in the forum but very few info about WMR, and they give a negative answer: not fixing IPD

It depends, some said that it s working: Samsung Odyssey - Page 3 - Virtual Reality and VR Controllers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum, others not.
But if you have some issue with IPD you may try it. I can also modify it to cope with wrong horizontal/vertical ratio.