The Pimax 8KX is truly the Next Generation of VR. My Full Review! [Youtube]

The Studioform Index counterweight can also be used on the Pimax 8KX by attaching the velcro part of it onto the back of the top strap like this:

So that the weighted insert is covering the knob. It takes about 50% of the pressure off the front and stays on. If I want to tighten the knob, I just need to lift the weight slightly to access it.

9 Likes

What is your CPU /gpu / ram …?

1 Like

I’m using i7 8700 (not k), 2080 Ti, and 32gb of ram clocked at 3200Mhz, with a Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard. I’m planning to upgrade to the RTX 3090 once I manage to buy one.

1 Like

That’s virtually identical to my machine and I am finding I have to set steam supersampling to around 90% in half life Alyx to run smoothly. And that’s with parallel projections off. Am I doing something wrong

1 Like

I received mine yesterday and yes, I’ve noticed the same on mine unfortunately. Left eye, bottom and top there is a blob of light leakage that I did not have on my 5K+. It doesn’t bother me enough to consider a RMA (yet). But might do when they catch up with production\shipping, or if\when other stuff occurs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Are you using

-console -vconsole +sc_no_cull 1 +vr_multiview_instancing 0 +volume_fog_enable_stereo 0

With Smart smoothing off and Pitool render set to 1 and SteamVR set to 150%? It runs mostly smooth for me in Half Life Alyx and occasionally dips below 75.

3 Likes

I don’t see any light leakage in my headset. Perhaps your head shape is the reason. Make sure you have it tight enough so that all sides of the foam are touching your face. You have the thin foam right?

1 Like

No i haven’t changed any game settings yet so I will definitely these. Thanks

1 Like

Nah, it’s definetely light bleed, right eye is fine. The HMD is tightened and stays in place where it should. Clarity is on the money and everything else as well. I received only one face foam, the thin one, but this suits me fine. I had to stuff some of the foam from the box behind L\R sides though, to prevent the HMD from wobbling.

2 Likes

Also set Characters to Low in Alyx in-game settings, Shadows to Medium or High, and Fog to Medium and everything else Ultra. That really helps with performance. Don’t worry it doesn’t actually lower the resolution of characters in the game.

1 Like

Thanks I think I have everything set to ultra as I have been playing it on an oculus s.

1 Like

I am looking forward to seeing what a 3090 can do for the 8kx.

2 Likes

Great video thank you. Are you still looking forward to a G2?

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see how the image quality of the G2 compares to the 8KX, especially if the G2 maintains a consistent image when moving your head around. However, with 4K resolution and a wide field of view, immersion is just next level on the 8KX, so I can’t imagine I would prefer the G2 even if it did have slightly better clarity and colors. But who knows. Maybe I would end up keeping both headsets for certain use cases.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review! I am pleasantly surprised you find colors and blacks so appealing which makes me even or eager to put my 8kx on - which should be tomorrow.

2 Likes

correction: just received fedex notification it’s coming today :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Congorats! Hope it’ll be enjoyable.

3 Likes

Well it’s important to remember it’s quite subjective, so the colors may look way better for me than the Index, but for others it could seem only slightly better than Index.

It’s kind of like when someone with a musical ear is able to pick up particular tones that others cannot. Hope you enjoy your 8KX :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks! I didn’t have a chance to try Index yet. But as long the colors and especially blacks are noticably better than on 5k+ and 8k I should be fine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Once I adjusted the contrast and brightness the colours really popped. Even the blacks look good to me.

4 Likes