The Pimax 8KX is truly the Next Generation of VR. My Full Review! [Youtube]

Who’s going to take his place in “Where’s my 8kx?!” thread? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yes, it definitely takes a while to figure out how to wear it. But it also largely depends on face and head shape. If you have similar shape to my head then you’re probably fine. Still I think if I add in another strap, perhaps the studioform one, I can probably reduce the pressure on the nose.

3 Likes

Lol, even though it was a long wait, it was definitely worth it. But it’s always easier to look back when you already have something, compared to the moments when you’re still waiting.

4 Likes

felt plenty natural to me, but I can appreciate the confusion for those who got the metal hinge.

2 Likes

Yes, i thought sometime ago that if we just put another foam (just like the back of the head one that comes with the 8K-X) it would be even better without too much effort.

2 Likes

And if i may ask, can you please evalute the 8K-X against your monitor using Virtual Desktop ?

Thanks.

1 Like

I will say that it was DEFINITELY worth the wait.

4 Likes

it is not equal to a monitor, especially not a 4k monitor. but it is pretty good if you get the contrast set right. Personally I wouldn’t use it for normal desktop work but it is easy enough to read text in a browser so navigating the web or watching youtube vids is just fine.

4 Likes

mine is on way, in a few hours,
right about when I’m off to pickup my kids from school.

oh dear fedex why do you do this. lol

5 Likes

Yes, it is not quite at 4k monitor level. It is probably like a 1080p monitor. The cleanness of the image is monitor-like in quality. I can read all the icons on my 1440p monitor using the SteamVR desktop overlay but smaller text is still a bit harder to make out. I’ll try it out on Virtual Desktop though and report back. Probably raising supersampling more will make it better.

2 Likes

May it serve you long and with the best image. :wink:

3 Likes

I have light bleed in the top and bottom of mine in complete darkness. Anyone else notice this as well?

1 Like

from the screen? not that I noticed.

1 Like

Yeah, from the very top edge of my screen I see a slight light source in complete dark scenes.

1 Like

Thanks for the youtube review @NextGenVR ! And for elaborating on the headstrap fit.

2 Likes

I tried that last night. It was good, but not as good as looking at my 28 inch 4K monitor. Text in the middle was clearly legible, but around the edges it became fuzzy. I set the view to be much larger than my real monitor, about 4 feet / 1.3 m. Overall, I’d say it was quite usable, but I had to turn my head to get the edges to be in focus.

4 Likes

Almost like a 1024x768 monitor ?

1 Like

Okay so I’ve used the 8KX more today and here’s what I’ve found.

First off, I now realize I’ve underplayed the nose pressure. Eventually the pressure gives a slight temporary burning sensation and also I can feel the pressing of the bottom of the foam against my cheeks. The pressure is moderately uncomfortable. A counterweight would definitely help ease this pressure.

Secondly, I’ve figured out how to improve the sound quality. In Windows search for “Sound settings” → then click on “Sound control panel”, select Speakers (USB Audio device) but it might be called something else on your system and hit Properties. Under Spatial Sound tab change it from Off to “Windows Sonic for headphones” and hit Apply. The sound is much louder but also more spatial now. It is much improved for immersion :slight_smile: Here’s some additional spatial sound options for Windows:

2 Likes

It’s hard to compare. The problem is that not everything is in focus at once. The clear area is improved by making the screen smaller, but then the usable resolution is smaller. I’m not sure I’d want to use Virtual Desktop fulltime in VR. It is usable though, I’ve typed this entire post while inside VD.

4 Likes

So I just tried the DTS Sound Unbound Headphone: X app that was recommended in that article and it’s even better than Windows Sonic. It feels much closer to the Index speakers in quality. I definitely recommend it!

After installing the DTS windows app and enabling it in settings, you go to the Properties and select Spatial Sound, selecting from Off to Windows Sonic and the DTS Headphones X option should appear just below. If it doesn’t, try restarting your computer or turning your headset off and on. Once I applied DTS Headphones X, sound was great. You’ll need to re-enable it in sound settings every time you start up your headset again.

5 Likes