The "MAS" audio strap seems really bad

I would give this solution a benefit of doubt, because I am somehow impressed what the phone built-in speakers can do, but I am skeptical never the less.

Like 15 years ago I had a “head-fi fever”, went through several headphones, built myself a head amp, etc. Eventually ended with AKG-501 open headphones for music, but never gave up my “puny” Sony MDR-CD470 for any other (read computer) use. The reasons were two - they fit perfectly my head (and ears) and second they use canted drivers and shells.

These headphones do not have very detailed reproduction, nor they do bass, but they have been giving the best 3D audio imagination I heard since 1998 when Aureal A3D was a thing and I suspect the closed nature and the canted sources (plus maybe the internal ergonomics) are the reason. I would expect the same from VR audio solution and I do not see how the two “tweeters” on MAS can achieve that.

The Index audio solution was a bold move, Mike Abrash teased something similar at the last year OC, but the solution from Pimax just looks … well, let’s see.

3 Likes

This is just another modular thing…
You buy the “audio” head strap, then you ll be offered to buy the real audio thing that will look like the vive pro.

5 Likes

Exactly this.
20 f.n thingys

1 Like

Actually it will look like the vive pro.

Yes give us the option. Don’t force us to buy more. $20 X 5000 backers = unsatisfied!

1 Like

They must be trying to make me seriously consider the index. I hope xtal steps on it before everyone spends all there vr cash.

I’m sorry to break this to you, but the “halo” design is garbage. I own it for my mirage solo (identical to psvr halo) and it gives me the worst headaches, doesn’t stay in place and wobbles, and prevents you from bringing the lenses closer to your eyes even if you wanted to. This design appears to translated a lot of that downward energy of weight sent into the arc portion and then consequently divide out the rest of the weight bearing load between under the crown of your skull and your face, along with more pressure dispersed with the wide surface area of that extra face thing they are selling. Looks good to me.

I can’t speak for the audio quality or privacy concerns but they did mention it was modular and you could still use headphones.

1 Like

Unless there’s good noise cancellation, yes

This looks nearly identical to a Vive Pro headstrap. I mean seriously, look it up. It’s actually kinda funny. Maybe Vive sold Pimax their headstrap design xD

1 Like

I found the 501 a bit dull sounding and mid-prounced but great for long sessions, super comfortable and not making tired, which is an underestimated feature.
If something sounds „too“ polished, ears get tired after a couple of hours.

Sure they sound way less good compared to HD650 or UE11 but the 501 were a great bang for the buck at that low pricerange.

Still, add a couple of bucks and try to get your hands on 6xx. I think that those are by far the greatest bang for the buck recently.

2 Likes

VIVE pro headstrap always looked really nice in my opinion. Never tried it though.

I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m just poking fun at how similar they look.

1 Like

Is there anyone who has tried a MAS yet? Or de deluxe version in particular.

If I am to choose a headset to buy now, how do I know the deluxe verison is any good?

4 Likes

I really wish they tell us the difference between the two and why we have to pay more on already high-end headsets like 8k+, 8kX to get deluxe vs mas

2 Likes

Contacting support allows them to instruct you on how to pay $100 for the price difference if you are a backer who is going to get the regular MAS

Uh oh, MRTV thinks the audio is subpar.

he says its worse than the Rift S.

i think i will need the deluxe MAS.

Yep, so I was right from the moment I saw the headstrap, but pimax is probably gonna stick with this 3 cent version, to get a little more money back when people buy their $300 version, which is more like the actual promised version.

Theres still a chance it’s not that bad. Hes on the show floor at CES.

2 Likes

He said the audio sounds bad (e.g. the engine revving), not only that there was external noise. I have to say that I’m pretty disappointed Pimax went out with this as the base audio solution.

my question is, it seems that we are all getting this MAS if we upgraded to 8k+/X when is the deluxe due and how do we upgrade ?