The instructions about resolution!

Basic instruction:
Pimax 4 k VR headsets, refers to the VR headset uses 4 k resolution (3840 * 2160) display panel. Use 4 k high resolution purpose is to solve the problem of the particle are the VR headsets.

Through about the current mainstream graphics performance and game content adaptation, pimax 4 k for the resolution of the input signal can be backwards compatible, we can accept 1 k (1920 * 1080), 2 k (2560 * 1440) of the input signal, when the resolution of the input signal is less than 4 k, video processing module in headset will be higher order interpolation operation, all the signal upscale to 4 k resolution first, and then drive to the screen of a 4 k.

It is said that whatever the resolution of the input signal, Pimax 4 k always process into 4 k resolution, finally to 4 k resolution physical pixels to display, so as to solve the problem of grain feeling.

Picture 1. How does Pimax connect to computer

Pimax is connected to PC by USB and HDMI

Picture 2. How does signal show on Pimax

Picture 3. Pimax receive and manage the signal

Pimax 4 k VR in 4 k screens and HDMI input increased between separate video processing module, after video processing module is always displayed in 4 k. Input signal backward compatibility before video processing module, Internal testing can accept the following three kinds of signal: 1. 1 k / 60/75 60/75 hz 2. 2 k 60/75 hz 3. 4 k 60 hz (compression for 4 k 30 hz). If the input signal resolution is lower than 4 k, video processing module do the higher order interpolation processing, to ensure the output to the screen resolution is always 4 k. Limited and graphics processing power and drive layer support (cannot bring 4 k signal compression for 4 k 30 hz) and HDMI1.4 b port, also led to the current graphics display abnormal situation occurs on 4 k output. So set Pimax to directly by the graphics card also can appear when maximum resolution display abnormal situation.

Picture4. The processing project of 4K 60Hz

In order to break through the interface bandwidth limitation of HDMI 1.4 B, we first compress 4 k of 60 hz signal source, and then transmits the VR headsets via HDMI 1.4 B, VR headsets receive compressed signal flow, reverse decompression again, then restore 4 k of 60 hz signal, the compression and decompression is nondestructive, not lower the quality of the game content, but need graphics bottom-driver’s support and adaptation.

3 Likes

When will these resolution options be released?

2 Likes

@Gothnux +1 :slight_smile:

Can this be summarized as we will be able to experiment 4k 60hz as source and output? If so when? Will there be new firmware and/or drivers, how soon?

Install this and you will be able to change to 1440p in extended mode.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how this works, this kind of detail is much appreciated. In the next software release can I suggest a setting which allows us to display the current INPUT signal on the headset display, 2k60 4k30 etc. Unless anyone else knows how to do this already in all the modes (direct, pimax, extended)?
When is the next software / firmware release scheduled for? What changes are planned? Given most of us are already beta testers now, can you release it in beta and we will help test it for you?!

1 Like

@ SBK_VR +1

we need more native resolution or hz for gaming

Did this ever get answered?

Did Pimax ever answer when 4k 30hz imput is possible?

No they haven’t replied. In fact support for this headset seems to be really bad, no one is even answering basic questions like this …

I’ve been on skype with support yesterday. The problem is they don’t speak English so they’re running everything through a translator which make communicating difficult. He didn’t seem to understand my question. He said that the video card should compress 4k 60 hz to 4k 30 hz but that this didn’t work and they’re talking to NVIDIA about it. But I said I just wanted 4k 30 hz. He said, yes that should work.

But clearly it doen’t. So, I’m not even sure they’re aware of the problem. But something that I’m now thinking is that it doesn’t support 4k @ 30 hz, because it’s expecting a 4k 60 hz, to 30 hz compressed signal. So that when it receives 4k @ 30hz, it routes it to its decompressor and that’s where things go wrong. At least that might be the problem.

So I’ve just found the Chinese page of their website where they discuss all this: http://bbs.pimaxvr.com/read.php?tid=43&fid=8&page=1

There it also states that the whole idea is to compress 4k 60 hz into 4k 30 hz and that they’re talking to two video card manufacturers about it. GTX 1080 should support this realtime compression in the future (they also told me that GTX 1060 would be too slow)

They nowhere state that it supports 4k 30 hz signal as input. In fact they state:

"The internal test can accept the following three signals:

1. 1K 60/75/90 / 110Hz
  2. 2K 60 / 75Hz
  3. 4K 60Hz (compressed to 4K 30Hz)."

(of course horribly translated by google translate). But the important bit here is that they’re not showing 4k 30 hz as supported input (only 4k60 compressed to 4k30)

I think that’s the whole issue here, their FW is already expecting a compressed signal when you put your monitor in 4k 30 hz, that’s why it doesn’t work.

In fact, I think they even say it:

“Restricted with the graphics processing power and driver layer support (can not be 4K signal compression for 4K 30Hz) and HDMI1.4b port, also led to the current graphics card in the 4K output will appear abnormal situation. So through the current graphics directly to the small pie set to the maximum resolution will appear when the display is abnormal.”

They’re saying that 4k 30 hz will appear abnormal. So yeah, I guess we’ll have to wait till they’ve gotten NVIDIA to build a driver with support for real time compression for their 1080 GTX, but man, will such a company like NVIDIA even listen to a Chinese company with a headset ? I’m not getting my hopes up …

BTW also note how this whole post is from 6 months ago … They’ve been ‘in talks’ with NVIDIA for 6 months, I guess that says enough.

1 Like