The 8K-X concept

I agree just about completely with everything you said.

I think he’s talking about the weird subpixel layout on the 8K HMDs that results in effectively 3840x1080 instead of 3840x2160.

1 Like

Although Pimax made 5k+, let players upgrade to it for free, for 8k even offered discounts – you think they wont work on 8k+ to make it superior? Thats stupid. I believe they will work to create a good product as they always do. 8kx+ is basically same headset as 5k+, but with higher density displays (diamond grid). If someone likes 5k+ (almost everyone), why should someone dislike 8k+? No idea.

And now step by step:

1. if having 2 cables is not a progress, why are you here at all? Pimax is wired, its not a progress too (compared to pimax 4k and other headsets).
  2. wireless transmissions have they cons and pros for each VR display. Its a bit raw and we can live without it.
  3. pimax 4k works with 60 hz just fine
  4. starvr will require same power as 8kx, xtal is 5k$ ( less than thousand and 5 thousands, are you serious?)
  5. i dont care about OLED, as they are not top displays, they have cons and pros too
  6. pimax can create software, will wait for brainwarp with a single 2080ti
  7. pimax will be on the market for the next many many years.
  8. thank you for reporting news from the future
  9. what?
3 Likes

Ah thanks, Well. About that. Yeah, that dropped my mood greatly.

• But on the other hand, I don’t know which displays are being used in the 8k-X. Do anyone know for sure and can / want to guarantee me that it will be used in the 8k-X Headsets which are being sent to their backers in the end?
  • Don’t get me wrong, I guess they will use the one from 8k. I am not naive. It will be pentile and it might be worse. But no one knows for sure until I have it on my table and tested it. Also, I always have the option to resell it.
3 Likes

FRC was replying to yanfeng who said they don’t mind putting in another RTX 2080Ti in his rig for the 8K-X. I then replied to FRC about VR Sli. So we were talking about multi-gpu and geoffvader replied under my post about dual output to one monitor which added confusion to everything haha.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be terrible if they used the 8K displays (although better displays would be… better). I think it’s the scaler that kills 8K clarity more than anything.

But the real problem lies with smartphones because they drive the market for small displays. Almost none of them use 4K panels because they don’t make sense (1440P is more than enough and use less power). And people want (what I think) absurdly large phone displays. So right now you can have a 4K display, a small display, and a display with a decent refresh rate but not all three. It’s technically achievable, but there’s not a good business case for LCD makers to design & produce the displays we need/want for the 8K-X.

5 Likes

Good point. Companies are still working on ultra high ppi micro displays though as projectors, mobiles, smart watches etc can then use the smaller panels so things shrink down while quality still improves.

2 Likes

I would rather wait foro the 8kX to have:

1. Better 4k screens
  2. Native resolutions provided via a single cable. (this will probably take some time for the standards and video cards to catch up)
  3. Probably about 2 yrs from now when the 3080 or whatever comes out.

The only exception to this is if they can make two video cards work and be beneficial for ALL vr games.

1 Like

I have a niggling feeling this is where AMD are heading. They have made huge leaps by bridging CPU cores together using their infinity fabric which results in a higher yield (profit++) than Intel. I think they will start doing the same for their GPUs so we will see a single card with the power of multiple GPUs on it. This way they can overtake Nvidia who seem to have hit a limit and now also have yield issues (explains high cost).

2 Likes

Except it needs to be a universal solution

Indeed it just needs improved subpixel rendering.

1 Like

We need a new display connector. Simply 1.4 DP has physical limitations.

1 Like

What do you mean exactly?

1 Like

Yes I agree. I’m one of those that is happy to wait for a new connector type to become prevalent. Unfortunately a bunch of 8kX backers are pushing for it now…which to me is rather pointless.

3 Likes

Is Hdmi 2.1 a good idea ?

1 Like

“Looking at video streams, HDMI can handle a single video and audio stream, so it can drive only one display at a time.”

Also, HDMI has licensing costs that DP doesn’t have.

3 Likes

I think the industry gets caught up on resolution being the key to better quality. It isn’t.

There is a lot of room for more optimization with what we have that can achieve the same perceived jump in clarity that a brute force resolution increase can do, with much less power / bandwidth requirements.

• Pixel Shift
  • Eye tracked foveated rendering
  • Diffusion filters
  • Higher quality optics
  • Panel structure improvements
  • Improved rendering and software algorithms

Also as existing panels shrink, so can the lens which means we might note even need light fresnel lenses anymore.

Plenty of options at the other end of problem while we wait for more powerful hardware.

4 Likes

The aim is really to get to a point where SDE isn’t a predominant noticable factor which is why I’d rather wait for the 8kX to have better panels.

3 Likes

Don’t forget starVr Is targeting specialize applications that can build specifically with some API

2 Likes

yes for me 8kx always implied 2 input 2gpu because no gpu now is able to drive two 4K monitor on high frame rate. is the SLI configuration the best one for the 8kx?

Truth using Nvidia’s cascaded displays idea on the 5k+ would be effective to pretty much eliminate sde & improve sharpness even more. Without I believe needing more bandwidth. It also is effectuve in improving latency.