The 8K-X concept

Guys, can you explain to me why you want so much the 8K-X? and please make abstraction that your money is already engaged on Pimax. I really don’t get it. Are you all plane/car simulator fans wishing for a close to reality seated experiences?

• Having 2 cables is just not a progress, ok maybe a dual input mode ( just how fun it will be to plug and unplug…)
  • wireless transmissions at this pixel density is improbable for now
  • without eye tracking and foveate rendering frame rate will be stock to 60hz with 2 2080 TI
  • In one year and this amount of money your could almost go for a StarVR one or a Xtal
  • LCD will still not get you colors and blacks as good as Oled panels
  • Broad software compatibility is to prove for two GPU setup
  • Only about 400 Units No real market support for this kind of product hope pimax has a long term dev strategies on this
  • New LCD required actual 8K panels not desirable
  • Still aberration and distortion on the peripheral rendering unless new lenses and Quad rendering
  • Normal FOV losing precious 4K pixels obtained with great pain and bandwidth Mhz optimization

The only hope I see for the 8K-X is that is fact it’s will be a modify 8K+ and this time the integrated upscaler will do a great job with a new LCD.

But still a these price next year other more polished solutions will just be at the horizon

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more… Anyone who is holding out for 8kx is going to be seriously disappointed.

Future is Samsungs anti sde effect filter and much lower resolution

I’m in no rush to get my 8K-X (thanks to the loaner).

There is so much unknown about Pimax’s plans for it now that I can’t say if I’ll keep it in favour of the loaner, return/sell it, or keep both (or Pimax abandons the 8K-X).

Have to remember the anti-SDE doesn’t increase resolution (only defract some of each pixels light over the gap between the pixels). So if SDE is solved by that we have to go by what resolution is good enough for detail and immersion. If past lessons of display tech tell us anything ppl will always crave for more (e.g 1080p was wonderful why would anyone need any more… until 4K appeared). Yes, the rest of the tech needs to catch up, but it will eventually.

3 Likes

The starvr is rumoured to be $3000-5000, i dont see how anyone can seriously suggest thats a comparison for people who backed at ~$700

I backed the X because i didn’t want an upscaler, i would like more info on the 4k panels, but i would rather have the best headset now and have to upgrade GPU along the line, than have a 2560 headset and want to upgrade to 4k in another year or two. My GPU can act as an upscaler just fine so I’d rather my headset not suffer that limitation.

The 5k+ with wireless module is tempting but it will depend on how the X pans out and what options they give us.

2 Likes

“Was” hoping the 8K would exceed the 4K’s visuals/SDE and hoping the 8K X would further exceed the 8K’s visuals/SDE.

Pimax indicated custom CLPL panels would be used but they never indicated that the visuals would suffer.

3 Likes

It’s funny how invested people who didn’t back the X is in it.

My GPU can do upscaling just fine and I get more control than some hardware upscaler in the headset. The price is two cables to handle the bandwidth and probably not being able to go wireless.

This is a trade off ever X backer knowingly made when they put their money down.

1 Like

That’s a solution for today to compensate for deficiencies in today’s panels… THAT IS NOT THE FUTURE!!!

4 Likes

I meant the future for me

I am not an 8k-X backer, but I do know some ways that it makes sense.

The biggest one is upscaling, the chip built in to regular 8k is obviously a lot less than perfect.
If you use your GPU to upscale the image instead (render games at lower res and use GPU to upscale the frame) you could already have a better image then what you get on 8k.
Literally the only reason 8k is doing upscaling on the HMD instead of the GPU is because of not enough bandwidth on the cable.

Also, 8k as it is is recommended to use SS, if you do not use SS you can run the 8k-X at higher res then 1440p already ( even if it is not 4k)
Using SS and then upscaleing after is a total waste of GPU power, rendering at higher res and doing smaller smarter upscaling is going to look a lot better.

For wireless, AFAIK all today’s wireless solutions use compression.
If wireless supports lets say 500mbps, then you must compress whatever image you want to send down to that signal.
The trick here though, is that if you compress a 4k image down to 500mbps it can still look better than a 1440p image at 500mbps (depending on the compression algorithm used)

Lastly, 8k-X should have 90hz refresh rate (and a bit more future proofing).

2 Likes

If you must add two 2080 TI (1300$US) to drive it correctly this is 3300$US! if you don’t have the base stations and controller add 600$! = 3900$!

I personally found that even getting a RTX 2080 is very budget demanding for the reward ratio. I was initially targeting a used 1080 TI in September 2018 but crypto mining kept the 1080TI price to high

2 Likes

And how this is funny? Everybody is speaking of the Pimax 5k+/8K backer or not. Speaking of the 8K-X is only reserve to club members?

Speaking for every other backer? Personnel I wouldn’t assume anything, things have change time past water flowed under the bridge

1 Like

The upscaler was not part of the original 8K-x specification and is only infer because the new chip from analogix has one. Yes that was the goals of the kickstarter get less SDE by upscaling inside the headset

Should have or will have?! not absolutely probable, strange reassemble to another claim in KS campaign

You have to 2 images to compress so your example is not the best, and most VR wireless setup won’t have 2 display port output on the decompression side, your stock with the same problem as before. Specialize hardware with 2 port is for now doubtful.

I desperately want a 8K-X more than anything else, after the experience with 8K and 5K+. It will be a whole new world. I don’t care it’s 2 cables or 3 cables. I will sacrifice comfort for image quality, and I’d be happy to buy another 2080Ti for it.

9 Likes

Pretty sure the StarVR needs 2 x 2080ti as well so that invalidates that argument.

1 Like

But you would also sacrifice software compatibly? I’ve seen no were a guaranty that rendering on 2 screen with 2 output is supported by most games on steam VR, Can someone give relevant info on this @D3Pixel?

2 Likes

In terms of minimum requirements, StarVR One will require an Intel Core
i7-7700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX
1080. In the face of any information about its availability or price,
not a word.

Trying to get more info… Don’t forget it has foveate rendering,

4 Likes

Hahaha, thats some pretty desperate maths. For a start hardly any or basically no VR games support SLI anyway, so if you “need” a 2080ti for the 8K you do for the starvr aswell, and i can only speak for myself but I already have a 2080ti, had a 1080ti and already plan on getting a 3080ti (or whatever they call it). My GPU purchase is not inextricably linked to my headset and as I said, GPU’s can do upscaling anyway as a stop gap.

Pimax is also working on foveated rendering (which we also get as a free add on for backing), its not in any games yet amd we don’t know what support is going to be like so i don’t really see that as a plus or minus for either headset.

I can’t honestly see “spend $5k on the headset to save $500 on the GPU” as a compelling argument.

No one is forcing you to buy an 8K-X, you asked for opinions from those that backed but seem deadset on creating strawman arguments to justify spending $5k on a headset, which don’t make any sense.

Ok your but no necessarily everybody else, my upgrade GPU upgrade is directly linked the my pimax 5K purchase

1 Like

He’s not saying the x would have a scaler, he’s saying it’s better that it doesn’t because the gpu could do a better job

2 Likes

I really hope it has native 4K, even though that would obviously mean we won’t see it for a while yet… a long while.

If it has up scaling, I will probably sell it. Very likely to make at least $500 profit from it, probably more.

Unless the result truly is mind blowing, with sharp text, and awesome looking images, then I probably won’t sell it. Those HMDs (5K+, 8K, etc) are the best looking ones currently in existence, as far as I am concerned.

1 Like