Tech Talk #22 : Pimax Crystal

So how would you run the pimax 12k then?

With eye tracking and active foveated rendering, + upscaling (FSR, NIS, DLSS…).

Only the game must adopt it too.
I.e. IL-2 and DCS currently do not give possibility for active foveated. IL-2 is silent about that, and DCS will add that eventually (with a help from mbucchia).
Most of the other games already work with active foveated, I hope.

The Crystal has the same number of physical pixels as the 8KX. So I would expect its frame rates to be very similar to what you get out of the 8KX in native mode.

4312x5100 is a substantial amount of super sampling.

100% in large FOV on the 8KX results in 5044x3160 = 15,939,040 pixels.

100% on the Crystal results in 4312x5100 = 21,991,200 pixels.

Physical pixels for both devices is 8,294,400.

So 100% at 1.0 quality on 8KX results in 1.92x oversampling.
And 100% at 1.0 quality on the Crystal results in 2.65x oversampling (38% greater).

The choice of what resolution is represented by 100% is arbitrary. 2.64 times the number of physical pixels seems excessive for what 100% should be. It’s certainly substantially higher than the 8KX uses.

#hammerhead_gal

Thank you Very much for your quickly respons.

Or for my sim-Game:

-DCS World
-IL2 Bob
-Iracing
-Mfs 2020

I going this day bought a RTX 4090 for my future Pimax Crystal .

And the #Eyetracking promise by pimax ??

Aplushhhss from France :fr::fr::fr:

tried the prototypes with 200°HFOV ,amazing lens design!!

2 Likes

Hi #hammerhead_gal

Thank you for your honnest respons for my sim-Game with my future Pimax Crystal.
I have Ă  Pimax 5k+ and I want Ă  Crystal now .

The perfect combo for simgame + Pimax Crystal = RTX 4090 or my two RTX 3090 In #SLI :innocent:

Aplushhss /Laurent /:fr::fr:

yes of course

2 Likes

Hi Esther

If the #eyetracking run very well in Crystal could it relieve my RTX 3090/90hz in simulation in my games:

Iracing
dcsworld
Il2 Bob
MFS 2020
or any other simulator?

And would the eyetracking of the pimax Crystal work with any type of games/simulators without a specific driver?

————————-

Because I remember in June 2022, the pimax advertisement and the promise of being able to play at 90hz even with graphics cards like the RTX 3090.
I was hoping with friends in simulation that the pimax Crystal works thanks to eyetracking and our RTX 3090 cards?
So in simulation we will absolutely need an RTX 4090.
And for a pimax 12k which has an even higher resolution, so it won’t be able to operate at 90hz even with RTX 4090s?

Cordially.

Aplushhss /Laurent :fr::fr:

Why is it that 100% on Crystal is 4312x5100? Why do you need more super-sampling? I thought the reason the 8KX needed 140% of the vertical resolution as compared to the display resolution was the barrel-distortion/pincushion of VR…why exactly would that ratio change?

While on the topics of graphic cards, does the crystal work with AMD cards? Ive read, that the previous headsets did not.

Especially with the high price for the 4090 and rdna 3 launch next month that topic would be interesting.
Iirc rdna 3 will also support display port 2. Will the crystal support dp 2.0 or only 1.4?

3 Likes

You asked the question wrongly. It should read, “Will AMD cards be able to run HighRes HMDs in the future?” XTAL and VARJO also don’t work with it really.

2 Likes

Speaking of… Has Pimax had any success at all with whatever sort of program they may or may not have, to encourage applications’ supporting the wide FOV of their products, and of others? (Things like, eg: Outreach-, platform software-, and support to external developers; Own content; Adaptations through various means, of unsupporting applications (means such as shader modification by way of injection, or targetted modding by any party, in any capacity).

I think it’s better just let Pimax do what they did the best: hardware. They just need to provide good enough drivers to support the games and apps.
It’s like we cannot ask Nvidia or Intel to build the whole software platform. Those jobs are better handled by Microsoft, Unity or Valve. We just want the headset companies to make better headsets, not to spend money on building a complete software solution.

1 Like

I would like some notes as to what’s different between the Pimax Store Client an Pitool .281 - I mean in terms of performance and bug fixes. I like the store and even the new layout - I just don’t see why I would switch if I’m fine off without the store at this moment.

1 Like

Controller tracking is the main thing I would like to see personally. It seems to be closed to a solved problem but still a concern in general.

Yes . They seem to have accepted the control scheme the rest of the world has, but how they behave is the question.

1 Like

A little competition is never a bad thing !

The VR headset features 2560x2560 per eye resolution, inside-out and outside-in tracking, purely tethering (no more standalone). Pancake lens, Micro-OLED and $900 price tag. It will be very interesting to see how it performs.

I hope this doesn’t mean “shiftall” for Pimax Crystal. :smiley:

3 Likes

Also my fav as second device

:angry: emoji

8 Likes

Interesting.

What are we looking at?

1 Like