Tech Talk #18 : WiGig

WiGig

WiGig,alternatively known as 60 GHz Wi-Fi refers to a set of 60 GHz wireless network protocols. Capable of transmitting PC data wirelessly at 60Ghz frequency; With strong anti-interference capabilities and within 3-5 meters from the PC with almost no frame drops, supporting data transmission rates up to 7Gbit/s.

• What do you believe is the most significant advantage of WiGig versus Wifi-6?

• What are the technical challenges when deploying the WiGig?

• Is WiGig going be the wireless game-changer?

Leave a comment and stand a chance to win the Wandering In Space CD Key!

Regards.

3 Likes

Microwaves can do popcorn :joy:

That aside i did not test it myself, so how can i know.
A interesting topic, could be useful to have yagi antennas or directional antennas to improve the range on playspace ?

its just a thougt about it.So heres my comment.

1 Like

Wigig could be the go to solution for wireless VR for a while, just seems like it’s taking a lot longer than may have been hoped. I’m definitely keen on seeing newer implementations than just the vive wireless adapter.

1 Like

The obvious thing is the high link rate with 802.11ay. But I think a less obvious but important advantage is actually the short range and inability to penetrate walls.

That sounds like a bad thing rather than a good thing, but consider the use case: Wireless connectivity to a PC which is at roughly point blank range. We don’t really want the signal to go farther than that. Or, more specifically, we don’t want the signals from neighbors using similar technology to reach our playspace.

Much of what makes the 2.4GHz band perform poorly is the high congestion on the band along with its long range and relatively high wall penetration. Your WiFi may be great until your neighbor installs their own wireless router with big powerful antennas and have it set to your same or adjacent channel. Theoretically, in 60GHz WiGig, we don’t need to care what our neighbors install. That’s a big benefit.

It’s lack of ability to penetrate walls is also a downside, of course. It makes WiGig not so much of a potential replacement for your WiFi router covering your whole house with wireless coverage. VR is such a great use case for WiGig which matches its strengths and weaknesses well, but most other use cases, not so much.

One thing I’ve wondered is how much does the human body block it? Could you lose signal because your own body is in the way of the antenna?

I think we’re going to see more and more of it in wireless VR as resolution rises.

4 Likes

wifi 6ghz is extremely fast when using a wide enough bus. any information on where that is at so far?

…As opposed to WiGig VS WiFi 6E?

Hopefully broader bandwidth for my VR streaming fidelity needs! :crossed_fingers:

I think WiGig won’t be as significant due to only being WiGig and not as universal as WiFi currently is.

Either way I still will be aiming for that new ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 it seems to cover most of my wants and needs, are there any others I should look out for?

wandering in space is terrible.

Are we using Wigig 1 or 2 for the Reality series?

how so ? must be 10…

you shoot the baddies and they literally one frame- fall. That hasn’t been done since…Doom?

I did not play it , thats why i was asking.
you mean like “sprites”?

nearly. It appears to be unfinished. There’s no English graphics, which ruins the tutorial which is on the wall of the game… It feels VERY early access. Tried hard to like it. I mean if you like FPS maybe, but it’s very unpolished

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.