System in Package for SteamVR Tracking

Thundra Labs has released a new, miniature TL448K6D-VR System in Package for SteamVR Tracking.
https://tundra-labs.com/shop/tl448k6d-vr

@PimaxQuorra

11 Likes

Nice work @lgbeno

2 Likes

Great that we finally have small tracking modules.

Unfortunately, they are $48.99, and it is not immediately clear how many of the GPIOs can be used for buttons.

This seems more useful.

3 Likes

It looks like with sensors included the price is about $130.

1 Like

After reviewing the documentation, I think there are 19 GPIOs available (14 for FPGA and 5 for MCU) that can be used to operate the buttons or for other purpose.

For a hobbyist, in fact, HiveTracker can be an interesting solution. However, I do not know if it is available in mass production.
For a mass-producing company, TL448K6D-VR seems like a better solution. Especially that when you buy a larger amount, you can get a lower price.

1 Like

The way the electronics manufacturing industry works, anything for which PCB layouts and Bill-Of-Materials files exist, is ‘available in mass production’. Send your files to a company like PCBWay, and you can have quantities from something like 3 to 3 million made for a fee less than the cost of what was put on the board.

Open source, and cheap enough to use a separate module for each position tracked, is more appealing to me, than a device best suited to make more brick sized trackers.

This is why I wish the Oculus Constellation system had more traction.

• An LED sending out a 10-bit coded sequence takes next to nothing in power consumption.
  • Camera optics can be cheaply completely characterized and scaled up to any degree of both accuracy and precision (lighthouses simply cannot)
  • Straightforward computer processing can eliminate almost any ‘multipath’ issues.
  • No separate calibration tracker required - floor and room objects remain exactly calibrated relative to the cameras.
  • As many cameras as desired to cover arbitrarily large areas.
  • Possibility to flip the same system around and more or less get built-in support for both inside-out and outside-in tracking, which would be great for demos.
  • Transmit power control can achieve sub-pixel accuracy and prevent the sensors from being blinded when too close.
  • A separate, dedicate computer, or GPGPU, can be used as a coprocessor, making the computing load a non-issue.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.