SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

The pimax lens are very very good indeed , but if they could possible use non fresnel at the center it would still be much better , the gear lens in the vive pro have to be seen first hand to fully appreciate the improvement over any fresnel iteration .

3 Likes

Hey a cable like that might be a great option if the optic to cooper parts are not adding to much latency themselves!
Are there any tests on that in the net?

2 Likes

This I would like to know too. Until now Pimax has commented ZERO times on the distortion issue. I’m really not sure if they even care about it. It seems only a subset of people are bothered by it so maybe Pimax thinks it’s not important. It could be. StarVR supposedly solved the distortion issue with eye tracking, applying a different distortion profile for each frame, based on the eye’s position. I think this is the key. But who knows if Pimax agrees, maybe they feel otherwise or maybe they just don’t care.

Either way I’m not buying their HMD’s anymore unless they solve it.

5 Likes

Here is a HDMI copper vs fiber comparison, I would think that the same will happen for display port

I’m using a SIKAI Optical Fiber 8K HDMI for my pc gaming on a Samsung Q90R “4K@120Hz, chroma 4:2:2”, “4K@60Hz, chroma 4:4:4”, Electromagnetic Interference and Radio Frequency Interference is non existent over fiber optical.

2 Likes

Anyways,

Any ETA for the beta test @SweViver ? Q2, Q3 of 2019 ?

3 Likes

Hi, do you know when the Amazon EU (especially Amazon.de) launch will start for Pimax 5k+ /XR ?

3 Likes

Yeah DE would be good :-), I got a buddy waiting (he is still unsure… maybe he will jump the 8k x - he is the top notch tech type of person)

1 Like

He nice, thanks for the links!

That is interesting indeed!

Might be worth for @PimaxUSA and @SweViver to suggest that to the team - especially all the noise problems they already got due to some “bad” cables.
Edit: could be a premium option or accessories to get a fiber based cable for the HMD’s

2 Likes

If you read/watched SweViver’s 8kX there is mention of improving Distortion. Xunshu had mrmtioned possibility of using Eye tracking for Dynamic distortion correction. So I’d say it’s like most things in the works. Once the eye tracker is released we may see some speed on Dynamic correction.

Time will reveal many things. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

5 Likes

10 meter optical cable

4 Likes

Hybrid lens for new pimax 8k x

1 Like

Fibre optic cables are very sensitive. Bend it too much and it can brake or get a crack. Once u get a crack in the cable you need to replace the whole cable it as its not possible to repair or patch together. Unless there is a safe way to protect the cable, it doesn’t sound so suitable for VR where you constantly step on the cable and twist it. But who knows… maybe there are ways to make it durable.

The distortion profile have been improved a lot since the early days of Pimax but maybe they have reached a point where its simply up to the lenses being the limit. Eye tracking might solve this, we will see.

I have a feeling we are closer to a an eye tracking unit from Pimax being released, rather than the almighty StarVR everyone talks about being announced at all.

5 Likes

Well that’s 3 or 4 patented hybrid fresnel lenses (guess)

StarVR, Pimax, Wearality, now fb :wink:

One question about the distorsion profile. Some people say they don’t see almost any distorsion. Some others that they don’t use their Pimax headset because of the distorsion (and other issues). For me it’s seems logic to think that both are right and not lying. And in this case it will mean that we cannot talk about THE distorsion profile because it will depend on the eyes position and can be different for different people.

Someone has even work on this hypothesis and try to create different distorsion profiles based on where the eyes are placed? I just cannot understand why people assume that things (distorsions in this this case) are good or not good just because they for them is OK (or not OK). Maybe, because of the wider FOV, distorsions are more sensitive to the eyes position in Pimax VS other headsets.

5 Likes

I don’t see any noticeable distortion in Normal FOV. This might be because I’m only using the standard foam face-pad (mine is 14mm). My eyes are so close to the lenses that my eyelashes sometimes touch. The Pimax’s visual quality seems to be very dependent on its relative position to your eyes.

3 Likes

I wonder what the patent covers , hardly a new idea

Yep. This was the subject of speculation back before anybody had any headsets.

Since the displays “wrap” your head: If you move closer to the lens you will move “past” the lens. IPD and eye relief need to be adjusted together, in order to make the lenses line up properly with your eyes; The positioning on the z axis of the HMD as a whole becomes more important than with older HMDs with narrower FOV and “forward-facing” optics. For this reason, it is somewhat frustrating to see the “near IPD” crowd go out of their way to deliberately disalign themselves, and then complain about distortions.

It is also why those early speculations posited that the headsets must have eye relief adjustablility.

When you do not have eyetracking to compensate for pupil swim, you’ll just have to strike a balance that feels ok most of the time, with your one fixed distortion profile, and it looks to me like Pimax has started from perfect correction across the entire FOV from the single viewpoint at the perfect sweet spot of the lenses (let’s all once and for all make an effort to start all using the one proper definition of that expression, btw, to disambiguate communication - the improper use of it as a measurement of view clarity, has a lot of misunderstandings to answer for), looking straight into the lenses (which means 20 degrees walleyed) from the right distance, and then tweaked it so that (as long as you began from the right spot) when you look around, things look geometrically correct in the direction you are looking at any given moment, at the cost of leaving some distortion in the periphery at all times – personally I do not notice it anymore, having gotten used to it.

EDIT: On the suggestion of somebody, by the way; When the software IPD offset user setting was added, I tried moving the lenses closer for a while (and compensating using that offset); Not for both-eyes-simultaneously-in-focus clarity, but in order to gain stereo overlap, and that did feel pretty comfortable to me, but in the end chose to switch back due to the expected effects of more distortion in the periphery, the apparent clarity over FOV feeling narrower, and more stray light: Overall- and highlighted in the fresnel lens rings.

6 Likes

Thanks Pimax for deciding to use a Full RGB pixel matrix which i really love in the 5k+.
Couldn’t be happier to read about the other decisions too, like to use only one cable, increase the panel utilization etc etc. I am looking forward in hope it will come soon.

So far i couldn’t wish for more.

6 Likes

From the looks of things the reselling of the 8K is a bit of a dud right now. Hopefully some sort of upgrade or discount could be applied for 8K owners but this is a goodwill gesture more than anything.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=pimax+8k&_sacat=0

2 Likes

That’s really dissapointing to see on ebay.
With the 8kx specs released every backer would have choosen 8kx, i hope that @PimaxVR can make a good deal for us backers in the future.

2 Likes