SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

@Sweviver In terms of the 8KX, $1000 is an okay price for fresnel lenses, $1500 is getting to the point where it’s a hard price to sell if it has fresnel lenses.
I would still buy a fresnel lens 8KX at 1K-1.2k.
If the 8KX cost $1500 and had Aspheric lenses, I would buy it with no questions.

Haha thats so true! :wink:

1 Like

I think you live to much in enthusiasm land and not in product land, products must be sold so company stay alive StarVr gone bankrupt by pushing to much the envelope for current market situation and XTAL may or may not survive. Pimax going open source why not invest yourself 1000$-2000$ and see if you can improve the current design. Or like you said I think start a side Kickstarter project where only the few wanting to invest would invest. yes it’s possible but not cheap but that a good idea…

and by the way aspheric lense don’t mean not fresnel just aspheric ( not spherical) just saying

5 Likes

@Sweviver I forgot to ask you, does Pimax have plans to look at reducing the performance requirement for Parralell projections? Or implementation of a native parralel projections similar to which XTAL uses?

edit: nm, should probably go in a different thread.

They want non-fresnel lenses because it also means less magnification and better panel utilization, less distortion possibly which also means better performance as you don’t have to render pixels then downsample and throw some away. Problem is aspherical are heavy and thick which means pimax would have to redesign the headset (adding to cost and time) and it would reduce comfort as well. As I said previously their options are reverse engineer xtal lenses as the Chinese always do or simply refine the existing fresnel to be better in every way. I think they will probably refine the fresnel as they would have to if sweviver is incorrect in that they will reduce magnification and increase panel utilization.

2 Likes

Read over old threads approx $350k to $500k invested in 7 lens iterations & then they spent more money on special equipment to map distortions.

If it was as easy as you think; then every VR mfgr would have released a wide fov headset & they haven’t. But I look forward to your Kickstarter so you can realise the difference between easy designed lenses vs a complicated special purpose lens.

4 Likes

They are all fruit. Remember StarVR formly infiniEye?

That can’t be entirely right unless Pimax’s fresnel magnify more than XTAL. Because XTAL has a less perceivable SDE than Pimax and XTAL is Pentile. I assumed this was due to Pimax’s lens magnification and lack of entite panel utilization because software moves the rendered image in line with the lenses and the screens don’t move?

So as far as I can see Pimax’s fresnel do magnify more than xtals aspherics

1 Like

Yes Pimax lenses do magnify more, if you magnify more you also cut out the visible panel (hence lower panel utilization). That was my point if you read my post, I think you read it wrong, I was saying the asphericals that the xtal have magnify the panels less.

2 Likes

@SweViver

Pimax 8K-X is a beast Compared to 8K. 3840x2160 for eye without upscaling , RGB panelS (a GOOD one also for blacks) It’s another planet.

@SweViver I GIVE YOU AN ASSIGNMENT, :slight_smile:

1. Tell to MR Weng to explore the possibility of making a Pimax 8K-X special edition in 2020 with the best lenses they could make to improve Pimax 8K-X (Good quality Aspheric lenses. If they are too much cheap they are not good quality and they are useless , OK ?)

2. Come back here in the forum please and tell us the answer of MR Weng.

Remember, for marketing this should be a SPECIAL MOD MADE IN THE FACTORY ON ORDER

3 Likes

There is a balance to be taken in account. A balance between vertical FOV and SDE. Pimax has noticeably wider vertical FOV than XTAL, at a cost of more magnification and more SDE.

I have got this explained by Robin himself quite recently.

2 Likes

Yes can’t wait to see native rgb 4k/eye with better panel utilization to boot! very excited and waiting with my credit card in hand. I just hope I don’t have to keep my 5k+ around simply for wireless possibility! ie. 8kX could run at lower res for room scale stuff wirelessly! No way any 60ghz wireless with compression tech could send final signal of 4K/eye to the headset!

3 Likes

Not only that but with potenial eye tracking being used for dynamic distortion correction… Will help imensely.

2 Likes

Does Pimax have any plans to look at reducing the performance requirement for Parralell projections? Or implementation of a native parralel projections similar to which XTAL uses?

Along with @Fabrizio 's request, could you please ask Robin this if there is plans? And see if there is a possibility of exploring plastic aspheric, or if not that a layered stacked fresnel or StarVR style lenses and rendering display for 8K Special Edition if it could notably reduce distortions and is the better experience.

(Still 2 screens, just 4 rendered displays fused together to eliminate distortion )

The problem is that most Vr manufacturer don’t control the form factor of the panels if you get back to much with the lens focal and reduce magnification you will see the upper borders of the panels. Or like Xtal reduce the vertical FOV 16:9 is not the ideal ratio for VR panels

Reducing the magnification will also increase the bulkiness of the headset ( will using the same panel size)

1 Like

The future is as yet unwwritten. But companies need time to recoup costs before digging a bigger hole.

Are they working on new lens designs? Probably. But with the amount of finances spent on R&D they require time to get the company from red to black & flowing to green.

Atm I would say Backers & Pre Orders alike would want resources devoted to completing the current project & becoming profitable. Otherwise this boat will sink.

Aspherical lenses may come but not likely in gen1 8kX and we need to accept this. Stretch too far & the company will fail.

5 Likes

InfiniEye originally used Stacked lenses & went to custom. Likely in part to reduce headset thickness.

I would imagine Valve used some of the published info in their research in developing the lens tech used in the Index.

If you check out Berlin Meetup reviews. Curved displays will have their own content rendering challenges.

1 Like

Sometimes fortune favors the bold

Pimax should try, this is clear to me.