Suggestion: DO NOT POWER 8kX at 12V! 8K X USB to a Power Supply Adapter Works Fine and Saves a USB Port!

I’d love to see your results with that camera when you get the 8K X, specifically where the Plug sits inside the 8K X.

I have a feeling the 5k+/8k temps overall may not be different, but right where that connector is, i think the temps are much higher than just a 5C difference - at least it is on my headset.

3 Likes

On the 8K it was a 10-15 C difference (in the video it was ~42 at the plug, ~30 ambient).

3 Likes

8k was 10-15C difference at the connector, from what the 5k+ temp is at the connector?

Unfortunately, I never had a 5K+ so I don’t have the answer to that.

1 Like

Oh you mean at the connector on the 8k the temp is 10-15C more than elsewhere on the headset.

I think that difference will be alot more on the 8K X - at least on my headset the connector feels incredibly hot.

1 Like

just test it. from 45 degrees the human skin slowly begins to stew

Well when it’s been at it’s hottest, it hurts to the touch after 2 seconds, so its definitely over 40-45 then. I will try a FLIR One camera probably also.

1 Like

No simple thermometer at home?

Regular thermometers dont really work on objects. I already tried an IR one i had but it just says MAX on the screen.

1 Like

Oups… … Crazy

1 Like

I meant that it was 10-15C above ambient/room temperature, which is what I thought the 5C difference you were referring to was. It appears that you were actually referring to someone else’s post, where they were talking about the difference between the 8K/5K+ and the 8K-X.

Also, since the 8K was running at ~40C it seems that the 8K-X is probably running ~5-10C hotter (~45-50C).

5 Likes

Guessing that one is for ppl?

Ye I would think its 45-50c if i were to guess. but we’ll see soon - i ordered a FLIR camera just to check this out

3 Likes

Thank you! Having a precise reading on a unit known to be particularly likely to be excessively hot will help us all make sure our 8kX units last a long time!

5 Likes

I dont understand your comment.
Getting a precise temp reading on a unit that is “known to be particularly likely to be excessively hot” - since when was anyone aware that the 8K X was likely to run excessively hot?

1 Like

At least you noticed your headset had a particularly hot spot, where a lot of people have not reported any problems. Maybe their headsets are colder, maybe other users just didn’t notice, in any case, it will be very useful to see a result from someone who has a headset they actually noticed was hot.

2 Likes

I noticed it was hot because i touched the actual spot above the connector. The cable end is where it gets hot

Also, its not just my headset… on The Support Ticket i opened up, i got a response telling me that it’s normal because all the 8K X models run hot and not to worry about it.

1 Like

Yes, but the fact that you noticed and bothered to report this suggests yours might be a worst-case example, among the hottest headsets. This can easily happen due to certain brands of thermal pads/pastes separating, hardening and cracking, or otherwise degrading. I have seen some extremely bad examples from otherwise professional products, sometimes due to design choices, sometimes due to design constraints, and also due to bad luck. Even with the best thermal paste, even I had had problems, with applying much more than specified torque to my ThreadRipper workstation heatsink, only to have it fatigue just enough to nearly pop off and require retightening .

What you find in the thermal image of your headset specifically may be of great importance.

So thank you for investing in the thermal camera. Eager to see the results.

1 Like

Try a digital meat thermometer.
It should get a reading.
Cheers

2 Likes

i dont think im the only one with this issue though, as others have mentioned their headset also feels just as hot there. Pimax support has said it themselves that i shouldnt worry as they “all run hot”

1 Like