Suggestion: DO NOT POWER 8kX at 12V! 8K X USB to a Power Supply Adapter Works Fine and Saves a USB Port!

The heat was noted long before a quick power up test and others are reporting it as well.

Last time this issue was present in a 5k+ model as I recall it had to do with poor solder contact points.

The v2 prototype was originally usb powered.

5 Likes

The heat on the cable has nothing to do with trying out the tundra-labs adapter, because the heat was there from day one. I also pulled out the cable from the HMD and the end of the DP/USB cable on the HMD side is what is heating up - and incredibly hot temps. I ordered an IR Temperature gauge so weā€™ll see how it works to read it and Iā€™ll report back. But these temps are definitely not good for the connector, the cable, and the housing in that spot.

2 Likes

One thing to try is unplug and reseat cable at the headset side. It might not be making proper contact and this can also make temps rise at the connection point.

1 Like

I already tried that too

2 Likes

Do we have any information that would suggest some 8kX headsets are much hotter than others? That is to ask, could this be a manufacturing defect with just some of the headsets?

This pre-production unit I have is not nearly so hot, and my 5k+ even less so.

3 Likes

Imho with it seemingly coming from the cable connection area on the headset it is a defect like it was with the 5k+ when we had users mention it.

2 Likes

Then to me by your post seems likely a defect. Much like the lg g4 phones. Some got very hot with basic browsing. I had one of the good ones.

2 Likes

NOT FINAL 8kX unit I have at the moment. The PSU very likely may have changed. Need to know if some FINAL 8kX units are not getting excessively hot.

Also need to know if the PSU area on these supposedly excessively hot units is near 60degC, or just 40degC. There is a huge difference in electronics lifespan between these case temperatures, and it may take a thermal camera to find out.

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA If Pimax is not already doing this, a timelapse thermal camera 1hr burn-in might catch a lot of major defects in QA. Adequate thermal cameras for this purpose cost as little as $300 these days.

4 Likes

From his earlier posts it is over 40Ā°C to be very hot to the touch.

1 Like

Correct it gets too hot to the touch. So it has to be over 40C. I will try when this temp sensor comes but not sure when itll get here. It said 2 weeks from amazon prime!

2 Likes

Good luck. Infrared temperature sensors are in very high demand right now. :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not for body heat. Itā€™s for objects only.

1 Like

I found another issue that i wasnt aware of, and in device manager the 8k x is screwing with my motion rig (AMC Thanos controller). I had to unseat all those USBā€™s until i realized itā€™s the 8k x causing me the problems. One of the USB Controllers says Port Reset Failed. I cant get rid of it, ive tried almost everything. It was so bad that it caused my motion rig to jump for some reason. Either the cable i have is REALLY bad or itā€™s really overloading the USB controllers./

Doesnā€™t sound like thereā€™ll be any issues powering via USB in regards to power draw:

I have no idea about the actual figures (but it should be pretty easy to check in for example USBDeview once the X arrives)ā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a USB power meter, once my 8Kx arrives iā€™ll test each of the USB lines to check powerdraw

7 Likes

but donā€™t complain if the mainboard burns :crazy_face:

3 Likes

If that happens itā€™s a defect on the mainboard, not the Xā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, luckily you happen to have someone on this forum with a FLIR One Pro (because I was extra frivolous with my money). I plan on using it to measure the 8K-X temperatures like I did with the 8K.

7 Likes

Excellent. I see you measured 41degC with the 8K. Pimax might have pushed temperatures up just another 5degC with the 8kX, and that would probably be nothing to worry about.

I used a FLIR One or FLIR One Pro at HacDC a while back. Might be getting a FLIR One Pro my own sometime soon nowā€¦

1 Like