Suggestion: DO NOT POWER 8kX at 12V! 8K X USB to a Power Supply Adapter Works Fine and Saves a USB Port!

From his earlier posts it is over 40°C to be very hot to the touch.

1 Like

Correct it gets too hot to the touch. So it has to be over 40C. I will try when this temp sensor comes but not sure when itll get here. It said 2 weeks from amazon prime!

2 Likes

Good luck. Infrared temperature sensors are in very high demand right now. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not for body heat. It’s for objects only.

1 Like

I found another issue that i wasnt aware of, and in device manager the 8k x is screwing with my motion rig (AMC Thanos controller). I had to unseat all those USB’s until i realized it’s the 8k x causing me the problems. One of the USB Controllers says Port Reset Failed. I cant get rid of it, ive tried almost everything. It was so bad that it caused my motion rig to jump for some reason. Either the cable i have is REALLY bad or it’s really overloading the USB controllers./

Doesn’t sound like there’ll be any issues powering via USB in regards to power draw:

I have no idea about the actual figures (but it should be pretty easy to check in for example USBDeview once the X arrives)… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a USB power meter, once my 8Kx arrives i’ll test each of the USB lines to check powerdraw

7 Likes

but don’t complain if the mainboard burns :crazy_face:

3 Likes

If that happens it’s a defect on the mainboard, not the X… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, luckily you happen to have someone on this forum with a FLIR One Pro (because I was extra frivolous with my money). I plan on using it to measure the 8K-X temperatures like I did with the 8K.

7 Likes

Excellent. I see you measured 41degC with the 8K. Pimax might have pushed temperatures up just another 5degC with the 8kX, and that would probably be nothing to worry about.

I used a FLIR One or FLIR One Pro at HacDC a while back. Might be getting a FLIR One Pro my own sometime soon now…

1 Like

I’d love to see your results with that camera when you get the 8K X, specifically where the Plug sits inside the 8K X.

I have a feeling the 5k+/8k temps overall may not be different, but right where that connector is, i think the temps are much higher than just a 5C difference - at least it is on my headset.

3 Likes

On the 8K it was a 10-15 C difference (in the video it was ~42 at the plug, ~30 ambient).

3 Likes

8k was 10-15C difference at the connector, from what the 5k+ temp is at the connector?

Unfortunately, I never had a 5K+ so I don’t have the answer to that.

1 Like

Oh you mean at the connector on the 8k the temp is 10-15C more than elsewhere on the headset.

I think that difference will be alot more on the 8K X - at least on my headset the connector feels incredibly hot.

1 Like

just test it. from 45 degrees the human skin slowly begins to stew

Well when it’s been at it’s hottest, it hurts to the touch after 2 seconds, so its definitely over 40-45 then. I will try a FLIR One camera probably also.

1 Like

No simple thermometer at home?

Regular thermometers dont really work on objects. I already tried an IR one i had but it just says MAX on the screen.

1 Like