Stupid or Genius? Put an m.2 heatsink on your Pimax 8k X to dissipate heat

If anyone tries this, let me know. I’m curious as to how effective it is. I’m not so sure exactly how warm the 8k X gets since mine hasn’t arrived, but I’ve heard it can get a little hot. This is what I’m talking about if anyone doesn’t know. Depending on where it gets how it might not be a good idea because of sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuanhaourty-Heatsink-Conductive-Adhesive-Compatible/dp/B07Y17PTM7

Mine doesn’t seem to get as hot as other owners have experienced.
It never gets as hot as my old Oculus Rift.
I was unplugging the USB connections to ensure the 8KX powered down, but I’ve stopped doing that since it doesn’t seem to be an issue for my headset.
cheers

1 Like

My 8KX gets quite warm (but not hot) on the upper-left side during use. I don’t think an extra heatsink is required. If I put it into standby (LED is bright red and panel backlight is off), it stays cool. So far, I’ve only forgotten to put it in standby once.

3 Likes

Not hot at all, only warm but perfectly normal. No need to fix it.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Genius, actually. However, I would not recommend that heatsink. The bumps are way too small to help much, the thermal resistance of the contact pad may actually do more harm than good.

These were my choices for M.2 heatsinks, which I am actually planning to cool 3D printer stepper motor drivers with…

The active heatsink is probably about half the weight and much more effective, though obviously more noisy.

Might also be worth using smaller raspi type heatsinks with one of those fans that can be mounted to the headset. So it cools you and not just the headset…

2 Likes

Mine gets warm but not hot. I use it at a PCs 5V USB port.

I can hold the hand there indefinitely, while I only drink tea after it has cooled off. Perspective.

Tech wise, a breakout box would have been better for the power supply. It’s done because the imperfect Wirkungsgrad means there’ll always be energy changed into heat when transforming voltages. Valve made the same mistake.

The more I have tested all the various headsets: HTC simply made the best quality VR headsets (their LH versions only). Rugged as a Mercedes, well engineered, individual distortion profiles per headset, killer screens.

It’s such a shame they haven’t produced a Vive 2: 2x2160p screens, LH tracking, eye-relief, off-ear speakers, flip up Display (loved this with the Cosmos), pass-through cams, no Viveport necessary.

Anyway the point is: That is what Pimax should aspire to. The 8KX is well done so far, pretty rugged thing.

I hope they get the DMAS sounds right. The SMAS are so silent, they might as well be not there. The windows “solutions” with loudness equalisation, sonic, etc. do not work at all - they’ll mute engine sounds in any simulation.

3 Likes

I noticed my 8KX ran hot like others have reported, but didn’t realize it was THIS hot after “warming up” to operating temperature.

But only in this exact spot. The rest of the surface area runs around 90 degrees. I have a fan solution that mitigates the effect but it certainly runs hotter than my 5K+

2 Likes

same results I get using an IR probe, but smacking a heatsink on my $1400 HMD No Way! :rofl:

2 Likes

Only 43degC is not major cause for concern. Thermal images show actual temperature is somewhat higher, but still reasonable for typical semiconductors and enamel wire insulation.

What makes M.2 heatsinks genius is their relatively compact size, not that they are actually necessary. For those who really care about headset reliability in professional VR applications, or need more comfort generally, it is not a bad thing to do. For the vast majority of users, current data suggests it is not something to worry about.

The power consumption numbers indeed look wrong. Anything less than 0.5A, and Pimax should not have needed two connectors. Likewise, that is a huge amount of voltage drop for only 0.28A.

2 Likes

Hi mirage335

I think you missed something in between my photos :wink:

USB2 Plug Connected To USB3 Onboard
Powerdraw approx. None!

So while there is a second USB power connector, at least in my 8Kx it does not draw any power if connected to USB3 or USB2, only when connected to an external power brick.
Maybe this will change once they release a firmware adn PiTool that allows Backlight adjustment.

And I fully agree that the voltage drop is too much.

/MrAhlefeld

1 Like

Yes, I saw that. I was just confirming the results seemed strange overall.

A digital oscilloscope with good average voltage statistics, and a current sense resistor, might resolve this (worst case scenario of course).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.