SteamVR Disconnects (why I don't use VR anymore) - possibly resolved!

For the first time in months, I decided to try VR again. I was hoping things would be working better, but no, it’s worse. My 8KX is connected, I see the Pimax logo screen and hear sounds through the headset, but SteamVR always throws up various error messages (shown below) and makes me re-enable the hardware. In the past, if I re-enabled the hardware in SteamVR, exited but did not restart it and re-installed PiTools, SteamVR would start correctly ONE TIME (after that I needed to repeat those steps). This was a major pain, but tolerable (at least I could use VR). However, this no longer solves the problem. I did install the latest PiTool, but I’m wondering if that was a mistake.

MS Flight Sim has gotten some great VR improvements, which I’d like to try, but I can’t. I have very little free time these days and I just wasted an hour troubleshooting (unsuccessfully) instead of playing in VR.

Any suggestions? @hammerhead_gal

1 Like

Click ‘manage add ons’ in the pop up in steam on the right hand side of your screen. Most likely the pimax software has been blocked, so unblock it and restart steam VR and you should be good to go.

I recommend to use PiTool 1.0.1.277, stable for me with 8KX (type version 2075) with FW 2.1.255.299, If it runs without a flaw, then try newer PiTool version.

2 Likes

Thanks, but that’s not enough. I already do that as part of my routine, “I re-enabled the hardware in SteamVR”.

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind.

After another 30 minutes of googling and testing, I was able to run MS Flight Sim (for about 45 min, then it crashed).

Solution: Either or both of these (I did them both together, but didn’t test singly): Run Steam (not SteamVR) as administrator and lower the Pimax framerate from 90 to 75 Hz.

I also noticed that I could fix the horrible stuttering in VR, by making sure the active desktop app in Windows was not MS FS.

1 Like

Hi Neal,

As you might recall there was an issue seemingly related to 299 firmware when it first released. My 1080ti is not compatible with this firmware and even downgrading in my the case the fw to 298 did not fix the SteamVR Crash issue with downgrading to FW 298.

I had to use a 296 debug firmware to eliminate the SteamVR crashing you described. After downgrading and confirming the crash issue was resolved. I manually upgraded back to 298 engineering and have had no further issue.

You can use Pitool 280 but do not connect the hmd and goto iirc Pitool\dfudrivers\ and move delete the p2*.* files. Otherwise pitool will try to reflash 299.

1 Like

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood that part.

Another option is to try the OpenXR mod ( Releases · mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR · GitHub ) which I would personally recommend for MSFS anyway as it improves performance significantly.

That all said, I think upgrading your firm by DFU is likely to solve the issue.

This sounds all too similiar to something somebody helped me with a few weeks ago… If it is the same thing, you might want to check that some Windows Patch Tuesday has not stealthily re-enabled Settings/Gaming/GameMode, or any related options, behind your back… :7

EDIT: Here’s hoping DLSS 3.0 may come to serve you well in MSFS, by the way, if it is as good as Jensen claims, and it turns out to work on pre-40x0 series cards… :7

1 Like

It’s confirmed to not work on anything earlier than 40xx, also confirmed to not work in VR.

Looking forward to seeing comparisons to DLSS 2.0 also, I am wagering the difference isn’t nearly as staggering as Nvidia makes it out to be.

1 Like

Of course… Given all history: Why would I expect anything else… :7

It seems to mostly be about improved frame analysis for optical flow, which could mean less depence on developers to supply motion vectors, but also mostly being about situations where you have a moving camera - not so much about things moving independently in the scene.
'Wonder if it is funtionality that will improve video encoders, should they make use of it…

Disable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS).

Note that this is a more general issue with Windows which affects more than just Pimax VR headsets.

1 Like

Good idea! That was my first thought too. I verified that those settings are disabled, but it’s possible I missed an obscure setting, if it wasn’t found by “game” in the setting search bar.

I think nVidia will reserve DLSS 3.0 for the 40xx series. DLSS 2 works fairly well in MSFS. I’ve got it set on Balanced (which I think is the default). I tried all the Performance/Quality levels. Balance seems like the best tradeoff for me.

Good tip! I did get that one earlier. It was On, but I fixed that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.