Steam VR crash at Wide FOV + PP

Steam VR has always crashed on me in Wide FOV with PP on. Never really mattered as there was no way to run anything at those resolutions. With the 4090 I’m seeing enough performance that some titles might be playable that way. It seems like this might be a resolution bugaboo, as if I turn the PiTool quality to .75 it will work. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with simply over-taxing the GPU to the point where SteamVR fails, but I’m not totally sure. There is plenty of headroom at Normal FOV + PP, so the insta-crash seems unwarranted; I would expect it to at least launch, even if it performed poorly.

Anyone else see this? Solutions?

HI :
Is it crashed like this?
looks like Steam VR setup process is missing or cannot be started due to errors.

You may first try to restart SteamVR from Pitool after unlock the Pimax

If it doesn’t resolve the issue, we suggest you to log a ticket at our helpdesk.
Our technician is ready to provide assistance to you.

Sincerely.

1 Like

Thanks! But no, it’s not an error like that one. Most commonly the title I’m trying to launch will run but provide no display to the HMD. For purposes of troubleshooting I’m going to try 60hz + forced 1/2 refresh when I remember to do so, just to be sure it’s not a “totally overwhelmed GPU” issue (I don’t think so.) If I revert to Normal FOV or drop the total resolution things start to work. But when this bug presents I don’t even get a game that plays poorly, I simply get the grid-lines, the game running, but the bit where the game actually makes it to my HMD is broken.

Hello:
That’s unnormal, have you submit a ticket and provide some screenshots/ logs of errors?
If you do, please kindly provide me in PM.So that i can Check it with team

Sincerely Esther