Starlike Flickering & Venting

VENTING:

So i finally got my base stations and index controllers, after having the headset sit for +1 year, without being able to use it. (BACKER)

After a gruelling +6 hours of updating bios, usb, displayport, graphics and firmware to just get the screen to turn on. IT finally started working. (Don’t get me started on USB and displayport connection issues)

ISSUES:

I’m having an issue with the screen having starlike flickering which is VERY distracting.

It is like the pixels get turned on and off randomly, spread out over both screens.

I’m using newest pitool, newest firmware (not 144mhz), newest nvidia drivers and i have tried resetting the cable in different display ports. (I’m running medium fov with a 1070)

My guess is the cable is faulty and, that’s why i have had so many issues, to get the screen to even turn on.

Am i fked, since i’m probably not covered by warranty anymore. Even tho i have not used the headset before now?

Another issue is that one of my new base stations has a very loud whine. Is this normal or is the base station defective, since the other is not that noisy?

Thanks

JER

1 Like

Pimax will replace your cable if that is indeed the issue. You’re not out the whole cost of an HMD over a cable luckily. Sucks to have to ship it, but with the headset functioning standalone in 3DOF, you should have checked that on arrival tbh, not to be rude. Just avoids spending money on warranty related issues.

Pitool has a tester to determine if the cable is faulty, though if it’s intermittent I don’t think that’s going to pick it up. The cable can be re-seated in the HMD, it looks like it’s molded into the plastic but no, its removable. Try doing that.

I have V1 base stations that came with my vive and yes they emit high pitched whining. Not loud but annoying I guess. You can tell if they work fine with a phone camera, just google that.

5 Likes

Hey Thall

Its fine your not rude. I did check it when it came, But it was only a tiny bit, since the 3DOF where not working very good and made me nauseus.
So i only briefly checked in steamvr home to see, if there was anything wrong.
But anyway enough excuses :slight_smile:

If its the Diagnose button in pitool i did do that. Nothing was there besides the issues i had with usb/displayport when i checked.

I will see if re-seating the cable in HMD works.
And ill check the base station with a phone camera.

Thanks again

3 Likes

Hi Jer. I have added backer bling.

With Running a 1070 card have you installed the Nvidia bios firmware update? Not to be confused with newer drivers. Nvidia released a Bios update to enable do 1.3/1.4 features.

Otherwise it does sound possibly a bad cable. In which case if you haven’t. I would recommend filing a support ticket to have the ball start rolling if needed.

3 Likes

That sure sounds like a bad cable. My original cable caused multi-colored pixel “sparkles” and occasional black or white flashes. Rarely, the image would become thin multicolored stripes which were unchanging. This was intermittent; often I would have 10 minutes or more of clear video, but it got worse over time.

I’ve had my replacement cable for about a year and it’s been problem-free.

One thing to note: You have to pull the cable connector VERY firmly to remove it from the headset. I was sure I was going to break mine. While pulling, gently rock it back and forth, which will help free it.

7 Likes

Hi Heliosurge
Thanks
Yeah i did install the 1.3/1.4 update.
Havent done support ticket yet. I should do that soonish… :slight_smile:

Hey Neal_White_III
I just tried to take the cable out and you where right.
Hardest cable ever to pull out, and i had a little flap that was in the way.

EDIT 1 Could not get power, but that was because i did not push the cable in, as far as it could. But i finally managed to do it.

EDIT 2 Going to test HMD now to see, if it helped reseating the cable. Will report with findings.

2 Likes

Allright after 1 hour of testing i still get the issue.
I found out it was hard to see the fickering in steamvr home, because of the many different colors and it is a very bright scene. (So that might have been why i did not see it, when i tested shortly after i got it)
Otherwise i tested Alyx, Beatsaber and some other games, with a little darker environments. Its very distracting and my head/eyes certainly dont like it :frowning:

Mini “Review”:
FOV is great on the headset, even on medium. (have not tried High since i only got a 1070)
Cant wait for the modular audio strap to come for added comfortability, since stock is pretty potato.
Cant speak on clarity since i cant have my glasses on YET.
Got some blue edges at the “edge” of both screens, but that is survivable :wink:

Thanks again for the help guys! I will hit up support and see if they can help me.

2 Likes

If you have SkrimVR you can likely use Large FoV as @fresco had tested it on a 980ti with loads of nods.

1 Like

Oh yeah Helio, that sounds like a good game to test out the large FoV. Thanks for reminding me!
Got my ticket sent, so crossing my fingers that they can help me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thought i would update on what happened with my support case.
And to notify other Kickstarters who will get their Index controllers soon and might have the same issue if they haven’t been able to play and test.

After a long time of waiting for support to get back and sending them a video of the problem.
The technical support team has confirmed the issue is caused by cable.

They then said i was out of warrenty because i received the item in Feb 2019, so Im 3 months late.

Was trying to be patient and wait for their controllers, before giving up and getting The Index ones. But i guess patience did not work this time. Disappointing…

@PimaxQuorra

1 Like

It wouldn’t hurt them to send you a replacement cable surely?
After how they have messed people about on here,myself included with delayed orders e.t.c
I too had the cable problem with flickering stars and a replacement did sort it out.
Even if you paid the shipping, come on Pimax do the rite thing and replace his cable FOC

2 Likes

Thanks for the support DIRTYRIDER!
Yeah so many delayes… Hehe

I would totally pay for shipping if that was the case.
They sendt a “mail” offering a 20$ coupon. But that feels meh, since the cable where never working in the first place.
I would totally have agreed if it was something i had done by twisting the cable or what not. But with the cable having bad isolation* or some stuff. That is not something i have control off and that is a manufacturing error. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hey guys its me again.

So i just received the new cable and was excited to play VR again after 4 weeks* forced break.
But the new 5m DP/USB Cable has even worse starlike flickering than the old one…

Already got a support ticket up and running. Hopefully they can resolve it quick.

This sucks so much. :confused:

4 Likes

Send @PimaxQuorra a pm with Ticket number.

1 Like

Yes, it does. There have been quite a few complaints about defective cables lately.

Pimax needs to beef up their QA! @PimaxQuorra

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.