SS10 USB-A or USB-C Port?

While I wait for my 8KX I am looking at the real estate on the back of my PC. There aren’t a lot of ports free, but I do have an unused “SS10” USB-A port with a red rather than blue or black interior. Next to it is a USB-C port.

Can one of the knowledgeable folks here tell me whether the USB-A, or the USB-C with an adapter, would be suitable for the USB3 connector on the 8KX?

Thanks!

2 Likes

The Red port is usb 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbits)
Blue is usb 3.1 gen 1 (4Gbits)

Either port should be fine.

Source

5 Likes

Thanks. Saves me buying a PCIE expansion card.

2 Likes

I have red ports in my 8 year old Z68 motherboard and they are “USB 3.1 Gen1”.
But anyway 8KX worked fine there.

2 Likes

the 3.1 spec was released in 7/2013 so and intel might have started to use parts of the new specs earlier

also the red color does not indicate superspeed+ (10Gbit) its indication of a port thats still powered even if the computer is in sleep or standby (like for charging other devices), imho this was used in usb 3.0 times too, so not unusual to have red on a 8 year old system, these ports also use orance or yellow

on my system (asus) the 3.1 gen2 ports have teal/turquoise color, at least that would be a “new” color for 3.1 but afair the color is not binding more of a suggestion (depending on the color used and the individual visial specs like light or person the teal might also be describes as green)

2 Likes

My ports are black. Color coding is not always followed by all.

3 Likes

So what your trying to say is that black ports matter?

1 Like

Sure… some even chose to use them for design purpose :slightly_smiling_face: the black ports that is.
Lenovo is a good example of this

3 Likes

@Heliosurge’s advice was for this specific USB port since it had the “SS10” label, not a general indication for red USB ports.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.