(Sorry final version) Crystal: dots showing up on left panel/ lens (heat issue? defective panel/ lens?)

Hi all,

Oculus DK1, CV1, HP Reverb G1, HP Reverb G2, 8KX and Crystal owner here.

I got my Crystal 48hrs ago and to be honest, Im amazed with the picture clarity, BUT I have a couple of questions for the community:

1. After using the HMD after 30-60min, I get a spot (green-yellow colour) on the left lens/ panel, and after another 30-60min, I can see even 4 of them. Anyone here with the same experience??? ##ticket open already but no answer so far##
    Note: after 10-15min cooling down the headset, these spots are gone but can show-up again after some use (heat issue?? defective panel?? - see pictures-
    BTW: I tried today and seems to be these spots are showing when using any Steam VR app/game…(???)

2. I plugged-in the 8KX hand tracking, and although its working and I can see my virtual hands, in the Pimax software its not showing or detected…

3. I knew already that Crystal has blooming but please someone try Bigscreen in a cinema scenario and please tell me how bad is the blooming around your body and arms or even around the screen, as it looks like someone is all of the sudden smoking at the cinema. Im using default graphic setting in Pimax software.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I get the same thing on the left screen. Have played for about 1 hour yesterday and 6 of these spots appeared. But when I turned the screen off and back on right away they disappeared.
It shouldn’t be a heat issue because I did it instantly (after about 2 or 3 secs). But to be honest I didn’t play for long afterwards so the screen might have not reached the same temps.

3 Likes

Any official word on this issue guys?

1 Like

Our Crystal team is aware of the issue and is presently evaluating the processing plan. It may be necessary to wait for the results of our analysis.

1 Like

I received my Crystal yesterday, so latest revision of firmware and also latest software installed and today after a couple of ours of play I already have those green spots appearing. Interestingly they first appeared on the left screen and were getting bigger (vertically), but disappeared after quick sleep/wake up cycle of the headset. But moment later some spots appeared on the right panel and again disappeared after cycling sleep function. I stopped playing shortly after, so don’t know if they would reappear. It happened during MSFS2020 play with OpenXR, not SteamVR.

1 Like

Hello,

have the same problem with the yellow spots on the left display. I also submitted a ticket at Pimax.

Left display issues, esp with some discoloration dots etc seems to be becoming more of a ‘thing’.

1 Like

Probably it’s closer to the XR2 chip, so is more affected by the heat from it.

1 Like

Same issue here. Faint brownish splotches started as a few smudges up top, moved around/morphed while in game(DCS) and now is several (6?, more?) in an arc across the top of the Crystal display. I’ve had the unit for 2 days and just noticed it this morning. Submitted a ticket.

1 Like

Hello,

i have the same issue with the yellow spots. The answer to my ticket from Pimax is:

“This problem is mainly due to the screen temperature, we currently recommend that you try to reduce the temperature of the headset by external means as much as possible. If this occurs, you can turn off the device and stand still for a longer period of time.”

Do i understand correctly that i should stop playing when i get the spots? Everytime during i play?
That can’t be right.

2 Likes

Just press power button to put device to sleep and after a few seconds press it again to wake it up. Usually it clears the spots. At least for some time…

1 Like

yes right. But it is unacceptable for a 1500$ headset. If there is no other solution i send the headset back.

2 Likes

None yet… Maybe they’ll think of something, but for now that’s all :frowning:

1 Like

Unless you’re playing in 30°C or above degree ambient room temperatures, then it looks like to me a design flaw and insufficient cooling of the headset operation.
Something likely not able to be resolved by software alone (unless they gimp the performance of the device to achieve lower temps). It seems likely there will be a need for a hardware revision of the unit to properly address it.

2 Likes

I’m playing in a room with 18○C. For me is defenetly a Hardware problem. I send the crystal back.

Yikes.

Well if not everyone is having this issue, then it could be an assembly problem, which goes back to QC.

Hopefully it’s and assembly issue versus a hardware one.

1 Like

Hello,

after consultation with Pimax, the yellow spot problem will be solved by a firmware upgrade.

2 Likes

Where is this Firmware, got my Crystal last week still same exact issue ? This isn’t a heat issue because my room is airconditioned and i blast air at the crystal does not change anything. Also disappears if you switch of displays for a second and takes minutes to show up again.

Also opened an Ticket for this issue, no response yet.

Have to request a refund if they don’t fix it after so long.

2 Likes

Now you folks know why I wanted the damn CPU fan increased. I was told by Josh, that the engineers felt it was too loud when running 100%. So I guess screen blankouts and green spots are not as important than cooling fan noise! DOH

2 Likes

It’s ultimately a design issue.