SOLVED - [0.24 Beta] [bug] Steam games not shown anymore

No idea what went wrong here.
Steps:

• I upgraded from 0.22 to 0.24. Everything still worked, games were shown
  • Did some A/B comparison between 8kX 114 Hz upscale mode and 5k+ 144 Hz mode. For that I switched from 8kX to 5k+ first.
  • Initially all still worked well.
  • Then at some point Steam crashed (think it happened when I tried to exit into PE again)
  • after everything was restarted again I didn’t see any games in the Steam tab anymore. When starting Steam Home (by switching on the controllers after the headset) I can still see all my Steam games. The ViveHome games are still visible in PE.
  • Switched then back to the 8kX - no change, the games are still invisible.

Regarding log files:

• userSettingsPVR.json is empty (0 bytes)
  • Player.log shows one perhaps noteworthy thing (haven’t checked it when it still worked, so cannot compare):
    2020-08-27 22:34:13:904 :[Debug] User settings file found, now continuing…
    (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at optionValuesHandler.Awake () [0x00249] in <455509d9559f47979df56a33210206d9>:0

(Filename: <455509d9559f47979df56a33210206d9> Line: 0)

The manifest folder contains various json files that seem to correspond to my Steam games on first sight.

Is there anything particular I should look for?

3 Likes

Wow. It sounds like the user profile userSettingsPVR.json got corrupted upon the crash.
I will make sure for the next version to not only check if the file exists, but also that its not corrupted or missing some field. The problem when an exception is made, is that it doesn’t skip that step because it cant, as many of the UI settings rely on that file.

Seems like PE is trying to read the file despite it being empty. Thats just something i didn’t expect it would do, but I guess I learn every day hehe…

For now, just delete the file and a new will be created next time you launch PE. This should fix the problem.

I will make sure this cant happen in the next release…

Thanks for letting me know. This is exactly one of these things I would never find out without your help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All back to normal after deleting the file.

3 Likes

Great!

I have now added a validation upon Awake() startup. If JSON file is corrupt (or empty), its replaced with a new default file. If missing fields or have invalid fields, then correct fields are added. Should be more waterproof now! :slight_smile:

Will be added in next release (probably tonight)

5 Likes