SOLUTION: Disable SteamVR start on controller power-on (or System-button press)

Hey guys, Ive found the solution to the annoying SteamVR feature that automatically starts SteamVR when controllers are powered on, or when System button is pressed. I knew I had this feature disabled in the past, and finally I found a very old config file that still included it :slight_smile:

Edit your steamvr.vrsettings file and add this line to “power” : { }

“power” : {
“autoLaunchSteamVROnButtonPress” : false,
},

NOTE: It wont work immediately. SteamVR needs to start ONCE to read the config file and save this setting. After the first SteamVR start, the button press or controller power-on will never automatically start SteamVR again :slight_smile:

In the next version of PE, I will make sure steamvr.vrsettings gets this line automatically added upon initilization (when PE starts).

21 Likes

Great Martin :+1:
I’ve enjoyed this feature, but not after I started testing PE :grinning:
Man you are putting alot of hours into this, and that’s also a part of why we want to assist :+1:

5 Likes

Maybe I should also put this feature as an option to chose “true/false” somewhere in PE? The problem is it doesnt take effect immediately, but after one SteamVR start… hmm :slight_smile:

Thanks man! This project is very encouraging, and I hope we can all work on this together very soon. In the nextt couple of days, I will try to have most stuff running as stable and free of weird bugs as possible (as some rare issues we have seen here by beta testers), and once thats done, we will go open Beta, and not long after that, we can simply put this on Github.

5 Likes

Thank you Martin !

The auto-start is definitely usefull but not when using PE !

I agree, this must be somewhere in PE options, and with a little sentence to explain that it is enabled only after one SteamVR start/restart.

And I can only be happy with the possibility of an open-source project on GitHub. The project will live by himself with the help of community.

1 Like

Nice find! Tried finding it Yesterday but didn’t succeed. Guess Your Google-Fu is better than mine… :upside_down_face:

I also think it’s perfectly fine to add it to PE with a notification that it won’t take effect until after next start of SteamVR (since most will probably be using a controller to enable it, it won’t really matter)… :+1::wink:

3 Likes

Swe, It doesn’t work for me It refreshes when I turn on and off the controller.

==========================================

it works now. It was a bit tricky because steamVR refresh the vrsetting file when it launches.
I succeed by turned on steam VR and then wrote the line and turn on controllers and clicked button on controllers and turned off steamVR.

1 Like

Armin found out that I did a mistake in the code where PE is supposed to add this line. If “power” line didnt exist in the steamvr.vrsettings, then the autoLaunchSteamVROnButtonPress line was never applied. The line was only applied if “power” : {} was already there in the file. This is now fixed and will be working in next version!

3 Likes