SGSSAA - better graphic and performance

SGSSAA is a hidden option for nvidia gpu owners.
It’s working great with VR and you can have same clear picture with more fps rather than using MSAA (big fps impact)

This guide is for skyrim but works with all games.
I just tried it on Outlast with vorpX and now testing dirt rally 2.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/21tzso/sparse_grid_supersampling_antialiasing_a_guide_on/

7 Likes

Thanks for the info! I had no idea that something like this was even possible.

I was also very surprised, especially that it was available since 2014 :astonished:

So far I have great results.
Outlast didn’t work with msaa because it was giving lighting bugs.
I set SGSAA x4 and I have same crisp image like setting msaa x8 but now I can keep steady 90fps :sunglasses:

It might be a game changer for VR, but more people need to try it and tell the results.

1 Like

I have tried SGSSAA years ago with my rift CV1 and assetto corsa. While the resulting quality was very good, better than MSAA, the performance cost was already too big even with the rift (and an OC 980ti).

So with a Pimax, even with standard or small fov, it may be reserved to very powerful GPUs and/or very light games. Also not all games are compatible with it.

1 Like

I think supersampling higher than 2 will eat a lot of fps.
Can’t wait to back home and test it on dirt rally 2.

@Culver9 how many Frames are you talking about in VR?

For now, I only plan to use such hacks if necessary to maintain acceptable framerates on available hardware.

This sort of thing is the reason why…

… MSAA once again it’s no longer working in terms of overwriting the MSAA level in the NVIDIA control panel…

2 Likes

Unfortunately after few more tests I can say that SGSSAA doesn’t work well with games based on DirectX 11. There was no difference in dirt rally 2 :frowning:
Yet it’s a good option for older titles based on DX9 and vorpx. I can use (2msaa + 4sgssaa) and have same picture as having in game msaa x8. FPS gain is around 8%

2 Likes

I havnt tried it but im sure i read that MSAA and SGSAA must both be set to the same level?

They don’t. I tried different combinations and msaa can be lower than sgssaa

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.