Setting the correct resolution in SteamVR

I have a question: I have tried every combination of the slider in SteamVR setting for resolution in combination with Pitool render Quality setting to get SteamVR render my games in the 5K+ native resolution of 2560x1440. I just can’t get it right, what am i doing wrong or am i misunderstanding?
Thanks for helping :slight_smile: :grinning:

2 Likes

As there’s an overhead due to the distortion profiles You shouldn’t aim for exactly 1440p.

I just used PiTool HMD Quality at 1.0 and SteamVR @ 100%, but if You want “native” resolution (or as close to it as possible) look at the vertical resolution and try to hit 1440 pixels.

The horisontal resolution will also change when switching FOV of course… :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks! Of course, i didn’t think of the fov setting and distortion profile. So, should i leave video settings on auto?

2 Likes

I used that for a very long time but ended up with using settings as I mentioned:

On top of that I tweak in-game settings and/or PiTool/Pimax Experience profiles to get acceptable performance. It’s just easier that way, at least for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, same here. Unfortunately the gta r.e.a.l. mod will not run smooth on a 1080 Ti in combination with 8700k and 32 GB ram. For such an old game, you would think it should :rofl:

2 Likes

steamvr at auto is good at keeping the games smooth but not always looking as good as we’d like. the easiest way to do it manually is to just drop the percentage slider until it runs good maybe see what the auto setting suggests and work up from there. while not worrying too much about the exact resolution.

3 Likes

You can use the settings I mentioned and “per-game” supersampling in SteamVR on top of that.

If You set the per-game supersampling to 75% and global to 100% it’s still 75… :slight_smile:

I just find it cumbersome as there’s too many places to tweak using that method :wink:

With Pimax Experience, I either go with PiTool HMD Quality @ 1.0 or higher and always keep SteamVR SS at 100% globally (manual mode).

I don’t want to spend too much time fiddling with settings. I’d rather be actually gaming and on a Pimax You don’t exactly have to be looking for extra fiddling/work, do You…? :smiley:

5 Likes

Exactly, sometimes you can get lost in all the settings possibilities, not to mention ingame things like AA and all the other tech.
@bnp: Also a nice tip, thank you!

2 Likes

tbh most things I just have pitool on 1 and steam on auto. and it is “good enough” the problem with making it look as good as possible is also that there are very little headroom left when you hit a scene that needs a little extra umph.

edit: this is less of an issue if you have massively overpowered gpu, but i have an 1080ti equivalent and it is easy to hit the ceiling.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the 3000 series is way above budget and in my opinion the step-up from the 1080ti is not big enough to save such an amount of crazy money for. And mine is water cooled and because of the difference in heat and sound in the case, i will never go back to air cooled gpu’s. If i start saving now, i will get a 4000 series sometime :rofl:

1 Like

Mmy gpu’s are watercooled as well and I’m not looking forward to the expense of both a new gpu and a water block for it. But replacing the sli setup i got with a single gpu with same performance is too tempting.

3 Likes

Did you ever ran into vr related problems with the SLI setup?

Not problems as such, just that very few things actually take advantage of it so one of the cards has spend a lot of time idle.

1 Like

Does this ‘overhead’ apply to a RTX3090 as well?
Total noob on these, and learning a LOT from this place!

1 Like

You may find this interesting: https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-the-render-target-resolutions-and-the-supersampling-factors-of-pimax-and-steamvr-work-together/19506.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.