Selling Price of Starvr One Announced! $3200. Very interesting

ಥ_ಥ the price brought me to tears. The bad kind. So bummed about this. The only thing I’m looking forward to is enthusiasts lifting starbreeze skirt when the sum of all the parts is sub 1k$

1 Like

indeed if pimax on the 5k+ has an approx 87.5% panel utilization horizontally would mean in Wide FoV 2240x1440 per eye. vs starvr at 100% claimed utilization at 1830x1464. However if StarVR horizontal claim is accurate at 210 horizontal is 30 to 40 degrees wider than pimax & xtal makes that resolution very low. It wouldn’t surprise me if on a teardown we find that starvr is also using a dispersion filter and that the 210 might be not as 210 as claimed.

2 Likes

Starbreeze stepped out more or less giving Acer the reigns.

2 Likes

Yeah. Well I hope they enjoy selling less than 500 units worldwide. Vr enthusiasts mostly can’t afford this, moderate business are naive and will probably opt for more mainstream and more “good enough” option. Man…just all day welled up about this.

3 Likes

There is at least one area that Pimax is astronomically better than StarVR: StarVR has done none of the backer meetups that Pimax has done so many times.
Joke wise, Pimax has to be astronomically stupid to design a dual 2K headset that has less effective resolution than a dual 1830x1464 with a much bigger FOV.
So I’d very much like to buy one to figure it out. But they don’t allow me as I’m no developer…
How frustrating!

4 Likes

Wonder what the cv1 pricing will be like. That’s the real question.

Anyway, valves leaked hmd does many if the same things and you might hope they’ll be less scalp-ey. That should bring prices down next year.

3 Likes

Pimax should get one of it, to study it, ASAP…

Hopefully the price will go down over time, and since StarVR has a joint venture with Acer, it is very possible that Acer will adopt some of StarVR techs in future, and build a cheaper version aimed at the WMR market.

4 Likes

You mean 5K+ right ? :wink:

Dont forget guys that you even see screendoor with the star vr…

There was a guy who tested it and said he still could see the screendoor…

2 Likes

Pimax 8K-X VS Star VR one

FIGHT

Lucky me I have 3 kidneys.

3 Likes

That has been my gripe with the StarVR One all along (next to the price). WIth the current state of GPU power and panel resolution you have to carefully balance different improvements we all have on our list. In this case in particular the PPI, i.e. perceived sharpness (with SDE being affected too), and the FoV.

I found the 200° of Pimax a bit over the top already, and the 210° of the StarVR One even more so. I would have found something around 150°-180° a more sensible target for 2018, in order to give us a good PPI nevertheless. In that sense I have not really been disappointed by the Pimax featuring the normal FoV as its de facto go-to FoV because I would have welcomed that as a sensible approach from day one - however, the way Pimax achieved this of course means you don’t get a higher PPI than with Large FoV settings because you don’t exchange the lenses, so the PPI remains less than if they had designed it for a lower FoV right-away.

But I accept that the Pimax is a story of a waggon-load of compromises, which in total still seems to be a compelling improvement from the current crop of headsets; nothing more, nothing less.

Now the StarVR One will have an even lower PPI - at its very steep price. Okay, they may have a higher panel utilization, may have full RGB, so let’s see what reviewers say and show, with screenshots like we got them for the comparisons between 8K, 5K+, Vive (Pro) and Rift.

I just have a hard time believing that this will be a package convincing me to a degree that I would even just contemplate purchasing one if it came at 1,400$, let alone the double amount. Sure, it will have better lenses, no distortion, etc. - but don’t we all expect to see a better overall device be presented by some other company in 2020 ? With less FoV but better PPI etc. which for me, see my reasoning above, would be the better trade-off as long as resolution isn’t at retina level. So would I want to spend that kind of money for a use period of say 12-18 months until something better becomes available ? How much better than the 5K+/8K is it to justify the steep investment ?

While I am curious I do not expect to be frustrated when the reviews of the StarVR One drop in… if it saves me $2,000+ I’ll gladly take a bit of water in my wine with some distortion, etc. I expect to not notice after a short while.

I would rather save the money for one of the 2020 headsets of a bigger company where one also will be more hopeful that devs will jump on the additional features they offer. The StarVR may offer eye-tracking, but what good is it, if no game supports it ? The same issue as Pimax have with the great Leap Motion implementation - really impressive, but will not see much practical application in the coming 1-2 years.

5 Likes

@Heliosurge

So Star Vr is 1830x1464 per eye

Pimax 8K-X (after approx xxx panel utilization) ?

1 Like

A better headset !

What is Pimax 8k-X for you ?

me too, seriously…

2 Likes

What was the % difference in price between the Vive/Rift price to the “released to devs” version and the retail/final price version?

Isn’t it normal for the HMD maker to pass their device on to devs for cheap/cost? So that devs actually make some content for it?

3 Likes

Don’t forget they are more in a development process even if they selling it now. it’s hard to target 2 goals in the same time 150°-180° and 210° both required different approach and different lens so strategically they developed 210° using technology that can extend in the future with current panels (Quad rendering, eyes tracking, dynamic distortion profile, lens) and they will swap for new panels when GPU and panels of higher resolution are available. In the mean time they can get the first version out in the wild to developers to build 210° specialize applications. The hard part is done changing the panels a long the road will not be a challenge.

Seems a reasonable strategy for a super high end headset no?

Note: For a consumer product like the Pimax’s headsets this strategy is much more debatable because with the exception on the lens and “CLPL” panels not much advancement are done in VR technology. Also the price is more an issue!

If that is the plan, sure. But why would you as a simple user/gamer want to get one then ? If those here with an academic/personal interest in VR tech and an abundance of money buy one, fully understood, but if the amount hurts you and you actually just want to game with it, it may not deliver what you hope for.

Well, I admittedly got carried away a bit during the KS campaign when I saw a 8K(x) spot coming free again - I just backed it too and thought I will get rid off one of the two, so no double investment (save for the cash flow effect while I am waiting for them).

I expect to see more practical value in the 5K+, for general use, gaming et al. The 8K(x) is probably limited to watching movies, using virtual desktop and hoping for really powerful future GPUs and eye-tracking or other modules to make better use of the raw potential. Possibly, after having used the 8K(x) a bit I might come to the conclusion that it is potentially great but GPUs and the game support will not be there yet for the next 2 years and I might decide to sell it off to some enthusiast. Let’s see. And sure, if I had not backed the Pimax yet and would see the 5K+ in a shop for $800,- and the StarVR for $1,400, I might have opted to take the latter if the reviews were so much better. But as we know the price difference will be much more, and I am particularly worried about the PPI and perceived sharpness - the Rift hurts in racing games when you try to distinguish details in the far, and same with flight sims with planes. Even if you take away the SDE, the lack of detail leaves small heaps of pixels which should have looked like a car or a plane instead.

To brag about here what else? :wink:

3 Likes

It’s lower resolution combined with wider FOV and on top of that OLED.
Yes you will see a screendoor, a pretty bad one.

If it is RGP strip OLED it would be a bit better and they could try to blur it away with a filter like samsung did it with the odyssey + but it all comes with tradeoffs.

1 Like