Selling Price of Starvr One Announced! $3200. Very interesting

This is not DK2 or something, this is not intended to be a consumer or mass production device at all even when it is in full production.

Their primary customers are arcades and corporations.

My guess is this is pretty much the final version, but they are still looking for feedback from devs (especially for their SDK)
Price will only go up for customers when compared to devs, even if there is no huge demand.

Oh, ok, my mistake, sorry

I don’t really agree with Valve lying about that either though? They haven’t come with any dates as far as I know.

Also they have released a lot of things for VR during 2018

If there is anything any of us have learned the hard way is to WAIT until these start hitting reviewers before people decide to buy. If pimax taught me anything is to NOT believe the hype that everyone chimes when they first try these things out like with the pimax in all those consumer electronics shows and then we started hearing about all the major issues that still needed to be addressed as late at the M1 testing phase. How is it that people did not bring up more attention to all those significant deficits over the past 2 years worth of people trying out these headsets and how and what they were running on those demo pcs for the past 2 years before the RTX cards were even out now that we know just how demanding these headsets really are to get decent results. Anyways, i am going to wait until someone like sweviver or mrtv get their hands on this and test it intensively before i even consider spending any more money on these small independent headset manufacturers.

If you look at rift & Vive requirements go up as there is more demmanding titles. 2 years ago demmanding titles were a minority compared to now.

$3200!!! My body is ready!!!
…but my wallet is not :frowning:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Price will be 2800 Euro in Europe, shipped from EU so no import charges.

18 Likes

So, Holy VR Grail for 2800 Euro ! Sounds better. All what we need right now is couple positive reviews in games environment & kidney surgeon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Unless Valve surprises us with some breakthrough gen 2 display tech I will definatley go with Star Vr. Your lucky you can pass as a developer Sweviver ! I’ll have to start working on my bullshit story :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I would hold up on that statement as there is a big question to it.

Do you get full distortion free visuals on any SteamVR title or does a title require re-compiling with the SDK to support the special 4 camera rig setup.

If they can answer that, then things are very good. If apps need recompiling to use the 4 camera rig then no thats not good for consumers as it will default to a 2 camera rig like every other HMD + Engine , and I will assume either distortion or reduced FOV like Pimax.

6 Likes

Lol never claimed they have it nailed. That’s been there over hype; much like them sticking to 210 horizontal fov from their first release.

I want to see both proven beyond statements.

I know Ballistic NG doesn’t look grear in menus or game imho in wide FoV modes. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

I think Sweviver has proven he can test a HMD to death without being a VR developer and has a ton of past experience to back that up. And to be honest, running a HMD in Unity or Unreal takes a beginner a few hours if you follow the SDK quick starts but not sure how beneficial that would be unless he wants to start creating VR tools to measure FOV, SDE, Ghosting and whatnot.

There are a lot of aspects to a HMD outside just coding too.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest. I am sure the same offer is likely going to be given to seb & thomas.

StarVR wants to steal pimax’s visible supporters.

3 Likes

Yeah, you would think so, to have developers and the 3 Youtubers would be a broader mix of technical & non technical evaluation which is very valuable, especially if they pay for it :smiley:

1 Like

We still need to consider the price might be a dev price & not thr consumer price. I would say there are hiccups after all the hype show it’s a very limited release. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

I think the price was probably a lot higher than this before Pimax went pre-order too. It is a tough industry, new VR advancement pop up every month (panels, optics, software advancements) so these HMD’s depreciate in value before they even get launched as people keep clambering back on the fence lol.

2 Likes

True enough & pimax for entry price point could be quite the threat. The resolution of StarVR One still seems to be very low. But with panel utilization might not be quite as low as one might think. It also has more horizontal resolution as well.

We’ll just have to wait & see what reviews say.

Yea, if you watched the demos with Sebastian. The CEO didnt want to divulge the resolution, assuming because it was quite low for a $3500 HMD, 1830 X 1464 per eye (Compared to sam Ody.+ @ 1440 X 1630 per eye).

The CEO stated that the “technologies” incorporated in the StarVR HMD like, panel utilization, eye tracking, foveated rendering, etc etc was giving the experience of viewing much better resolution than a 1830 X 1464. Im not smart enough to explain why… but Sebastian said it was the best HMD he has ever demoed and that was after he demoed the 8k and 5k+ and if Im not mistaken the Xtal as well.

Now we can ask what he meant by “the best” but thats another post!!

4 Likes

Would be curious the know in normal FOV the effective resolution of the Pimax 5K+
2560 (65%-75%) x 1440 = 1664 - 1920 x 1440?

2 Likes

What company secrets? Lol ALL popular hardware gets a breakdown and an analysis :wink:

1 Like