Selling my 5K+ and rewards

I look forward to you getting either HMD ASAP. Looking forward to hear what you say about ED. Have you been in ED with VR?

1 Like

No, I’ve not played ED in VR. I do have an EDTracker and I sometimes use my 3D monitor. I’ve experienced VR, going all the way back to the original headsets with 2x 320x240 LCD displays. I’ve held off, because the Pimax 5/8Ks were the first headsets to meet my minimum requirements.

I’m really tempted to get both and discover my own preference. In particular, even @SweViver is becoming less enthralled by the 5K+'s downsides. I’m not worried about blurry text; I’ve gotten used to reading blurry text as I get older. :older_adult: The question is, can I read all of the text, without moving my head position (no light houses)?

If I do get both headset types, I’ll have the 5K+ for at least 4-6 weeks before the 8K would arrive (assuming I can change my pledge again). That means I’ll be very familiar with it, before I experience the 8K’s advantages and disadvantages.

5 Likes

Thats nice, an employee of at the Gouda meeting didn’t decide either on the headsets after using them for a while, he liked both of the headsets for different games.

2 Likes

ED in VR is going to blow your freaking mind. It’s a complete game changer.

4 Likes

I was hoping to have my headset by Christmas. Now I’m just hoping to get it in time for the ED Distant Worlds 2 expedition (Jan. 13th). I don’t think that’s likely, unless I win this auction.

A long voyage like that gets tiresome after a while (I went on DWE 1), so I’m hoping that VR will make the trip more enjoyable. We’ll all be traveling for months and seeing things from a new level of immersion should make the experience feel fresh again.

1 Like

Is DW worth it? Being away from the bubble for 5 months? I’m thinking about joining.

2 Likes

I hope you win it then. I can ship by Wednesday morning easy. As I am working Tuesday and the post office is closed cause of Christmas. Ill be sleeping soon cause I work nights so I will see who won after I get up for work.

I can tell you I tested Elite VR in the 5K+. Compared to the Vive it was WORLDS better and a very immersive experience. Everything was way clearer and I could not SDE and of course HUGE FOV!

3 Likes

Yes, if you like exploring. You can always turn around or fly to Colonia, if you get bored. The new explorer tools should make the trip more fun.

I enjoyed the trip out to Beagle Point, but the trip back to the bubble did get old. That was back when my AspX only had a jump range of 32 lys. It’s now 65. That will be a huge improvement. I spent 4 or 5 hours playing ED almost every day for over 4 months on DW. I got home with my hull at 6%, but I made it (and I earned hundreds of millions of credits for my exploration data). That was before exploration was buffed; I’m sure we’ll all earn a lot more this time.

It will be safer too. The expedition will do some mining near the core and build a new station. Colonia now exists, so you don’t HAVE to go all the way back to the bubble.

One thing to consider: Many people have 2 accounts, so you could spend time in the bubble, even while on DWE 2. I think I saw that ED was on sale, so it’s a good time to buy a second account, if you’re so inclined. (Personally, I have no plans for a 2nd account.)

1 Like

I picked up a 2nd account so I can take people on a ride in my space ship using my Vive Pro while I fly using my Pimax. :+1:

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t win, but someone had to bid higher, due to competition.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that you didn’t win . I am seriously considering changing back to the 8k . Which one have you decided to choose?

4 Likes

Me too. It seems crazy, but the 5K+ has downsides, as more people are noticing.

I don’t like this indecision. It’s just not clear to me as to which one I’d be truly happier to own. Luckily, both seem to be similar overall and we’ll all probably be buying new headsets in a few years anyway.

3 Likes

Yep the main thing I am considering now is the SDE .

1 Like

The SDE isn’t that much of a concern for me, many have said that the 8K SDE is only a little better than the 5K+. However, we’re all different, with different priorities.

After all the recent discussion, I think I’ll be happier with the 8K (for better blacks and colors, as well as a softer view - since pixel aliasing bothers me a LOT and I think the 5K+ will be more annoying to me, with its blocky pixels). Therefore, I’ve just officially changed back to the 8K.

I take solace in the fact that the headsets are fairly similar, so I’m sure I’ll be happy with my decision.

3 Likes

Sold please close thread.

1 Like