See Virtual Reality Like Never Before With The Pimax Crystal

Pimax Crystal VR Headset Review: A Sim Gamer’s Dream with Some Caveats
The world of VR is an ever-evolving landscape, with new tech and features being introduced at a rapid pace. Today, I’ll be sharing my thoughts on the Pimax Crystal VR headset. This piece of hardware has some noteworthy strengths, but also a few areas that need improvement.

The Good: Visual and Audio Clarity
Let’s start with the positives, and there are quite a few. The standout feature of the Pimax Crystal VR headset is undoubtedly its visual clarity. The images are sharp and crisp, providing an immersive experience that is second to none. Flight and driving simulation games are particularly impressive, with the detailed visuals greatly enhancing the overall experience.

Coupled with the visuals is the audio clarity from the optional DMAS speakers, which is equally impressive. The audio is rich and immersive, complementing the high-definition visuals perfectly. It’s a treat for the senses and adds an extra layer of realism to your VR experience. The Crystal also offers an impressive 120Hz screen mode. This high refresh rate results in smoother, more realistic motion rendering, which is especially noticeable in fast-paced games or simulations.

The Bad: Build Quality of Some of the Parts and Battery Life
The Pimax Crystal is not without its flaws… The first issue lies in some of its build quality. The battery charger and insertion point on the headset could use some improvement. The clips are very difficult to push in to release the battery, making the process more of a chore than it should be. Additionally, there seems to be an issue with the battery life. Even when used with the included Pimax 4 port powered USB hub, the battery seems to drain in about 4-5 hours. It’s not horrible but not ideal on a headset that is connected via a wire… You would think the Crystal would be able to power itself from just the PC but not in this case!

The breakout connection for the cable is also a concern. It’s a very odd fit, and every time I insert the cable, it feels as if it might break. The feeling of metal ports scraping against each other in order to line up and then having to push it in with force untill it pops is not ideal.

Mixed: Controller Tracking
The tracking of the controllers is another mixed bag. For most games, it should be fine. However, I did notice some glitching, and there are a few games that did not work with the left controller at all such as Hubris or Wandering in Space. This is something to keep in mind, particularly if you have a favorite game that requires accurate controller tracking. I have no doubt that Pimax will fix these issues with updates so it’s not a deal breaker.

Conclusion: A Solid Choice for Sim Gamers
Despite a few shortcomings, I would still recommend the Pimax Crystal VR headset, particularly for fans of flight and driving simulations. The visual and audio experience it offers is truly remarkable, and it’s something you have to experience yourself to fully appreciate! With a bit of patience for its quirks and an understanding that Pimax will, as they always do, fix most of these issues over time you’ll find the Pimax Crystal VR headset to be a unique and immersive way to experience Virtual Reality.

If you want to learn more about the Pimax Crystal or grab one for yourself you can head to the link below. Also, if you are going to buy this headset or anything else from Pimax don’t forget you can use code “vrgamerdude” for an extra $20 off you order… It helps the channel grow and gives you a little discount so its a win-win! []-)

00:00 Introduction
00:22 Headset Build Quality
01:44 Weight
02:05 Padding
02:36 Light Leakage
02:55 Lenses / Auto IPD
03:55 Eyebox Size with Glasses
04:53 The Battery Connection
05:35 The Non Adjustable Top Strap?
06:24 The Breakout Box / Cable Connection
08:03 DMAS Speakers
08:33 The Controllers / Tracking
10:27 Visual Clarity
11:37 FOV
13:02 Thoughts on Gameplay
15:35 Watching Movies in BigScreen VR
16:54 The Cable
17:17 The Battery Charger
19:43 Final Thoughts

4 Likes

Thanks for the review.

While visual quality is very good, I can’t get on board with the FoV point of view. Especially for Flight COMBAT sims where situational awareness is key.
That, and well, VR is all about immersion, and playing any game where one would naturally want/need a decent FoV will likely notice the small FoV of the headset.

Hoping their upcoming new FoV lenses will be a decent enough improvement.

7 Likes

Yeah the FOV is the one thing I am missing a lot from my 8KX. I also hope that Pimax can find a better balance with the upcoming lenses… hopefully we shall soon see!

3 Likes