See Pimax 5K+ in near Infrared and Infrared Light (Thermal Vision)

Take a fresh look at the Pimax 5K+ in parts of the spectrum invisible to the human eye.

Near Infrared:

Infrared (Thermal Vision):

17 Likes

Daaamn!!! Now I want a see through/ clear housing on my pimax 5k+ :smile:

5 Likes

That’s awesomeness! Great work. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

The return of see throught electronics from rge 90s. Lol

3 Likes

Dare I ask what kind of camera are you using- FLIR or something a little more heavy duty?

2 Likes

In the thermal view video it says “FLIR” on the video overlay…

3 Likes

Apple iMac G3 :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Its a FLIR camera that is build into an S60 smartphone.

3 Likes

This clear model would be for jail inmates, No way to hide contraband!

1 Like

There was no watermark in the first video. I wasn’t aware the FLIR could do this. I’m probably grabbing one on black friday for home inspection stuff…

1 Like

That’s the CAT phone? I was going to be grabbing a FLIR One soon. Debating over micro usb for the tablet or usb c for the phone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The first video was captured with a Leap Motion sensor not a FLIR camera. The Leap Motion sensor features three infrared LEDs for illumination and two cameras for stereo vision (could have recorded the first video in 3D :wink:). The FLIR camera is not able to record a video like the first one.

1 Like

Yes it was a CAT S60 smartphone. There is already a CAT S61 available which has a FLIR camera with a better resolution.

1 Like

I find the first photo, the IR one most informative.

It explains a couple of things:
Why the housing needs to be of highest quality. It’s acting like a window for the laser sensors, with are port-holes on the Vive or covered by fabric on a Rift’s “constellation of dots”. Any IR cloudiness or texturing issues could interfere with the tracking. I can better understand why it’s harder to find a manufacturer for the housing, it probably requires tight tolerances and high quality injection materials (not just cheap plastic).

It also may explain the initial stress fractures. IR-transparent material might not be available in tough, flexible plastics. I know, first hand, that the IR window on a TV remote control is made of a brittle plastic that easily fractures when dropped.

Rife info: Oculus Rift CV1 Teardown - iFixit

4 Likes