Screendoor Effect on P8KX

Sure, enough resolution is required first. The index has enough resolution that the immersion of the 120hz overrides the clarity, at least in the two games I’ve been playing lately: HL Alyx and Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. And it really may depend on the game as to which is better, I don’t play any seated games so I’m sure my experience will be different than yours if you primarily do seated.

1 Like

If you did both seated and roomscale, my thinking is that the higher resolution of the 8kX would be more of a necessity, and the refresh rate a luxury.

That said, you may find the combination of wide FOV and resolution compelling after enough hours in VR to start feeling like wearing blinders…

While I have no idea what the screen utilisation of either device is, nor their magnification ratios over area; Given both devices are 2160pixels vertical, I have to make a general assumption that the 90-ish degree vertical FOV of the Reverb will still result in higher resolution than the 8kX, which has a bit over 100° vertical FOV.

This seems supported by a cursory glance at SweViver’s through-the-lens macro photos, for all that there are tons of variability factors in taking such shots.

1 Like

With the Reverb you need to consider at it’s FoV it has a higher horizontal pixel density(SPPD). At it’s FoV it has a higher Resolution than the 8kX and the screens are parallel.

The Reverb G2 when released has a very high potential to deliver excellence with Valve working with them. Imagine the possibility of:

• Index Optics
  • Mechanical Ipd and Eye Relief
  • Current 2160×2160/eye screens or better
  • Higher refresh rate than Reverb 1
  • maybe Index Audio
  • and of course a cord that doesn’t suck

If better screens maybe an actual bump in FoV vs the Index which is only perceived FoV vs actual FoV.

4 Likes

Maybe you can help me out, as MRTV did not cover those aspects.

I always have that geometrical incorrectness in the center of view, on the 5k+ and 8k.
Recent offest adjustments options helped but I always felt like one step forward nd one step back.
Whenever I had the feeling to have fixed something, other issues started to surface.
Plus I was struggeling with a blackish almost bar-like area between both eyes.
Here going closer to the lenses + lower hardware IPD thn the actual one (+ipd ajustments in pitool) helped
but it made the geometrical correctness even worse. Just to be sure, I’m not talking about the distortion on the edges, which a obvious but I don’t mind.

I’m not sure if you even recognized that issue on any previous Pimax. But if you know what I mean is there any chance to talk about any differences between previous ones and the 8kX?
I know that MRTV once said something about geometrical correctness (let’s say it’s defined as I mentioned above) in the context of Pimax headsets. I I really wonder why he did not include this very important (at least to me) aspect in his review.

Distortion on the edges did not bother me. And if they are still there but better than they used tos, so its a welcome but no mandatory bonus. So no immersion-stopper here.
The black bar overlap and geometrical inconsistories are a immersion breaker thouigh.

Any insights on that?

1 Like

What we really need is either Doc-ok to evaluate and/or folks using his test images for hmds.

1 Like

The images alone will help nobody. Still need to set up and calibrate a camera rig. :7

1 Like

The images will allow the reviewer to at least use the testing for visual evaluation. The m1 test group used a variety of his test images in the past.

For example I believe there is one for geometric distortions.

2 Likes

Some straight lines will help when eye-balling for things bending, and stretching/compressing - no doubt. :7

Eyeballing can only take you so far, though. :7

If the geodistortions are there it should be good enough for an idea.

If you want a full technical eval you want Doc-ok or someone similar like @OlivierJT to give it a full work up.

1 Like

All that I know about that geometrical correctness issue will be included in my video, though my comments will reflect my viewpoint on this. I will not be mentioning whether that form of distortion is better on the 8kX than 5k+ (video is already done), but I can tell you here - that aspect has not changed as far as I can discern.

However, it seems to me you are having worse issues with geometric correctness, due to the Pimax headsets not fitting you as well. As I mention in the video, Pimax headsets fit me really well, so I can’t speak to things others find they need to adjust.

One possible source of hope may be that the higher resolution will help you better adapt, and not notice as much.

As for the black bar overlap, I don’t know what you are talking about there.

3 Likes

Yep, yep. :slight_smile: twentymaincharactersinonestoryaretoomanytokeeptrackof

1 Like

Presumably the part of the per-eye FOV past the point where stereo overlap terminates

(EDIT: Not a fan of the incomplete overlap myself; One can get a bit more, by moving the lenses too close together, but that will indeed sacrifice geometric verity, as one move the axes of the lenses off one’s eyes, until they point toward the bridge of one’s nose instead… :P).

2 Likes

There is slight geometric issue when an object passes from the yoke part of the lens to the flat(egg white) of the lens. It’s not too bad depending on the individual. However you can get this as well at the top and bottom vertical as you near the lens’ edges. Also something in most lenses.

If your using your eyes more normal though not likely to notice things as much or often.

2 Likes

Oh, I remember now, like looking through binoculars!

Yeah, I used to notice that too. I didn’t imagine it could get much better, so I purposely stopped noticing. :wink:

2 Likes

Truth it likely can’t as things will want to warp with curvatures. Now a square instead of a yoke would create a better transition. Now dynamic distortion correction with Eyetracking should help as this was reported what the Unreleased StarVR One was using.

@Neoskynet talked about the pros I believe of the Oculus was it quest with Square/retangalar lenses.

2 Likes

I own the XR and I ordered the 8kX. I assume that for Flight sim, and day time scenes the 8kX should be ideal due to the image resolve when compared to the pentile pixel layout

2 Likes

Technically, at 4k each panel is not enough to fully rid of Screen door. But is should mitigate it enough that small details are not bothersome. Also, it depends of the eyesight of each individual. If an individual is something like 20/20- 20/40, yes, you will perceive Screen door, but should not be a detriment at that point

2 Likes

However, with objects that have slightly soft edges (eg. certain aircraft HUDs), when rendered correctly, screen door effect does entirely disappear. This applies at least to the DCS World A10C HUD.

2 Likes

Do you wear glasses? if not what type of vision do you currently have?