SadlyItsBradley's impression video

Yeah, that’s DFR (dynamic foveated rendering)

1 Like

That and the Tobii Foveate transport.

So… Let me wrap my head around things here. Admittedly I’m not an expert on all these technologies but, as I attempt to understand it:

Fixed Foveated Rendering = fixed center points (per IPD adjustment) in the displays that will render at the best quality, with quality lessening on the periphery, so as to help with performance.

Dynamic Foveated Rendering = Dynamic center points in the displays based on where you’re looking at any given moment, which would require eye tracking ET from Tobii, and again, with quality lessening on the periphery of view, so as to help with performance.

Clearly what we want then is DFR. Without Tobii ET, we don’t achieve that with the PIMAX Crystal, correct? Because without DFR and only FFR, we’d have to move or heads more to achieve the best quality at what we’re looking at.

I mean… Sure, you’re in a VR headset, so what’s the real need to only move your eyes?
Perhaps it is a case by case judgment based on the individual based on the amount of clarity they want to (and can) see on the periphery, because some people have better peripheral vision versus others.
i.e. I want to get better focus on an instrument panel for the detail, but still want to see that oncoming mountain clearly enough on my periphery for ‘awareness’ sake. I’ll judge the need of turning my head versus turning my eyes to achieve that based on my own personal sight abilities. DFR allows for that, where FFR would not. Yeah?

And… add to this… Any face tracking on the Crystal?

Add to this, ANY capability of quality AR with the Crystal?

Thanks for your confirmation/explanation in advance!

You can just turn FFR off if you don’t want your peripheral vision blurred. Personally I don’t like either FFR or DFR as I notice shimmering in my peripheral vision and that ends up being the only thing I can see so I turn both of them off in my 8kx. It remains to be seen if the Crystal and 12k will work better and be less noticeable.

1 Like

I mean. I thought by having FFR or DFR turned on. DFR being favorable it seems. That by having these turned on it would noticeably help performance and higher frame-rates because we don’t need to draw in high resolution the whole screen?

I mean. What I’m trying to get at here is, what tech does the Crystal have to HELP us get the most frames as possible in game titles, and doesn’t FFR or DFR do ANY of that?

Yes of course both tech will theoretically help with performance, we will have to wait and see by how much since there hasn’t been any reporting on how much. I was just commenting on, since you were concerned about peripheral vision, that it can be turned off.

I guess from what I’m reading so far, DFR/FFR needs to be supported all the way down to the game engine level, not just on the driver level of the GPU.

So while PIMAX Crystal intends to have TOBII ET and I suspect (until some official response or link somewhere) that it means the PIMAX Crystal will also have ability for DFR/FFR.

But, I’m reading that AMD GPUs and their drivers aren’t really on the forefront of supporting this tech, and that it’s frankly better to go with an nVidia GPU if one wants to have the best possible experience in VR.

Something I was suspecting highly in anycase… WTF AMD…

That’s correct. And the performance boost is quite large. I measured it at 39% for FFR on my 8KX. With DFR, that can be pushed a little further still.

I recommend against AMD GPUs for VR at this time, particularly if you want to get into higher end hardware like Pimax or Varjo. It seems to come from both directions. AMD doesn’t seem to be very interested in VR. And VR manufacturers and studios give lower priority to supporting the GPU with 20% market share.

Foveated Rendering in Crystal is not that important, because if the GPU can render the full frame in detail, there is no need for FR.
Today’s GPU can allow you to easily play 4k games. Right? So 4k resolution is 3840x2160 = 8.2 mega pixels.
Crystal headset is 2880x2880x2 = 16.59 mega pixels.
Therefore the GPU will have to work 2x hard to render a frame, compared to 4k games.
But if you have a powerful GPU and you tune down some settings, you can play 4k gaming at 120fps, in Crystal that’ll be 60fps. It will be quite playable.
For me, I use headsets for 360 pictures, 3D movies and videos watching. Basically they don’t really need very powerful GPU to get to 120fps. So this is why I said Crystal’s foveated rendering is not that important. It really depends on your applications.

If the GPU is reaching the frame rate cap in the game without needing FR, then this is true. Sort of. Except that you could also use the additional headroom to crank super sampling higher. There’s usually something that you can do with the freed GPU performance even if it’s getting diminishing returns.

But also even a 4090 will not reach the frame rate cap on an 8KX in all games at all times. This GPU has enough brute force to substantially reduce the need for FR, but it doesn’t eliminate it.

Unless your use case is strictly only watching movies and playing lightweight games like Beat Saber.

I mean, I don’t know about you, but I’d be using it for Flight Sims, especially for games with super high fidelity like Star Citizen.

We all don’t have (yet) the 4090, and people with 1-2 generation older GPUs would benefit even more from a tech that would help keep the resolution as high as possible with acceptable framerates.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.