RyanPietrosk's Pimax 8KX Max Clarity Detailed Settings Guide in iRacing!

UPDATED 6-30-21 FOR 8KX SPECIFIC SETTINGS

Please view the updated guide on the new iRacing Forums, here. Its easier to read:

https://forums.iracing.com/discussion/1726/pimax-vr-max-clarity-detailed-settings-ini-guide-6-16-21/p1?new=1

6-30-21 Update: IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAVE YOUR UI LAYOUT, PER CAR, LIKE I DO, HERE IS THE BEST SOLUTION IVE FOUND CURRENTLY (SO NICE FOR LARGE FOV HMD’S!!):

All UI settings - i.e. where your blackbox is placed, or your Speed/Wheel/Pedal display, etc - along with your settings for the Mirrors, are stored in the app.ini. Simply setup your car exactly as you want it in-game, then exit iRacing. Save a copy of app.ini into a separate folder named for that specific car. Do that process for all the cars you want to drive. When you go to drive them a second time, simply copy/paste the app.ini file you created and saved for that specific car into the folder containing the live version in My Documents/iRacing.

6-30-21 Picture of my 8Kx with the Ferrite Chokes added. (See 6-28-21 update below for the reason!)

I put these on ALL my USB cables, extensions, power cables, HDMI/DP, my Buttkicker as well as its remote and the AMP - everything… all using (1) kit for $17.99 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNL5CDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also put about 6 more along the Pimax cable at equal intervals, and looped the Pimax cable through the (1) Ferrite RING that comes in the kit, twice through the loop, right at the USB/Display Port junction that plugs into the back of your PC.

3 Chokes are pictured here, and I placed the two closest to the headset in the pic below as close to the DAS Speakers as possible to eliminate any EMI coming from them!

r/Pimax - 6-30-21 - Final Update Pimax 8Kx VR (and other HMDs!!) iRACING MAX CLARITY GUIDE Detailed .Ini & Settings Guide for VR GLORY!

r/Pimax - 6-30-21 - Final Update Pimax 8Kx VR (and other HMDs!!) iRACING MAX CLARITY GUIDE Detailed .Ini & Settings Guide for VR GLORY!

Main TLDR 8KX Specific Settings changes to the info below. Its also listed separately in the full guide below.

I don’t use Nvidia Sharpening with the 8Kx at all. It doesn’t need it, at all.

Set the FPS limit to 90fps

Pimax Rendering should be set to 1, or normal.

SteamVR resolution set to 100%

—UPDATED 6-30-21 to include 8Kx specific setting changes and other HMD info—

iRacing .ini GUIDE for Pimax 5k+, 8k+ and now 8Kx, as well as other HMDs:

I came to post this guide after spending countless hours tweaking iRacings ini’s and testing individual settings to get the absolute best out of my Pimax setup. I have been building epic gaming PC’s for myself and customers for over 25 years, and I wanted to be sure I was getting the best out of my system and the VR setup.

Tested so far - Valve Index, Pimax 5k+ and 8k+ and now 8kx. Please note the following settings are for the Pimax 8k+, with any changes listed for the 8Kx, but should work for any Pimax (and other VR sets) especially if you adjust the rendering resolutions for your Pimax/VR Headset Model and the strength of your PC.

My PC:

i9-10900k - All Cores at 5.2 GHz, Bus at 4.8 - Watercooled on 360mm aio with 6x120mm Noctua 3000 RPM Radiator Fans in Push/Pull

EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Converted to Hybrid water-cooling with 240mm aio and 4x120mm Noctua 3000 RPM Rad Fans in Push/Pull

All thermal pads replaced with Fuji Poly pads, and thermal grease with Kryonaut Extreme. Added heatsinks and more thermal pads on the back-plate and have a dedicated Noctua 3000 rpm fan blowing over the heatsinks and into the CPU socket area.

2.2 GHz clock (average 2.1 in-game with 10 GHz Vram daily OC, though can go much higher.)

32GB G.Skill 4000Mhz CL15-16-16-36 Ram

1TB Samsung 970Evo Plus NVMe drive / Rebar Enabled

For reference, I have almost all the bells and whistles maxed out. Anything left out is done so for clarity in VR. With these settings and the PC above, I get 80-110 fps on every track. The lowest fps is while sitting in the pits. I average over 100 fps out on track while racing.

It’s also pinned at 90 fps 99% of the time using the 8kx.

INI TWEAKS:

Ok here are the settings you want to use. Make a copy of the following files to save your originals:

rendererDX11.ini (In your MyDocuments Folder, under iRacing)

app.ini (Same spot as above)

Run Nvidia Control Panel with the following settings:

Sharpen - On - Set to 0.25 and 0.0 (EDIT - I PREFER THIS A BIT LOWER NOW - 0.1 or so, if not off)

8KX Settings - I don’t use Nvidia’s sharpen with the 8kx. It’s ungodly clear in comparison to the 8K+

Ambient Occlusion - Off

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x

FXAA - Off

Gamma Correction - On

Antialiasing Mode - Enhance any Application Setting

Antialiasing Setting - 8x

Antialiasing Transparency - Off

Background Max FrameRate - 30fps

DSR - Off

Low Latency Mode - Ultra

Max Frame Rate - Off

Monitor Tech - Gsync on for normal monitors

(I set my main 4khdr OLED 120hz monitor to 60hz to save the GPU power while in VR)

MFAA - Off

Shader Cache - On

Tex Filtering - Anisotropic On

Negative LOD Bias - Clamp

Texture Filtering - Quality

Trilinear Optimization - On

Threaded Optimization - Auto

Triple Buffering - Off

Vertical Sync - Use 3d Apps Setting

VR Pre-rendered Frames - 1

VR-VRSS - OFF

Pimax Settings:

1.25 Render (Very High) *Lower end CPUs / GPUs can try 1.0

8Kx - I would start with 1.0 Render Mode for Native 4k 90hz

Smart Smoothing/Motion Compensation Off

Hidden Mask On

VRSS Off

Vive Compatibility Off

TURN THIS ON IF YOU WANT AN OPTION INSIDE STEAM VR TO MAKE THE DAS SPEAKERS LOUDER!

Refresh Rate 110 Hz

8KX - set to 90hz

Backlight 100

FOV 150 (Normal)

8KX - I’ll be experimenting with 170 fov and will follow up, but much preferred 150 fov on the other Pimax sets.

In Pimax profiles, Import the following file found in your iRacing Install folder, not

the one for your settings under My Documents:)

“iRacingSim64DX11.exe”

Set it to the same settings as the Common Pimax Settings above and set it to start with SteamVR.

Steam VR Settings:

Custom SteamVR Resolution: 4092 x 4016 * Lower-end CPUs/GPUs can use a lower resolution setting here to get desired FPS.

8KX I have it set to 100% which is actually lower than the above resolution.

Motion Smoothing Off

Refresh Rate 110 Hz

8KX - set to 90hz

Advanced Super sample Filtering Off

Now load up iRacing and while in the pits, use your steam controller to open the main SteamVR window.

Click on VIDEO - or go to PER APPLICATION VIDEO SETTINGS:

find the application named “iRacingSim64DX11.exe” and set it to load with a custom resolution at 100%, to match the SteamVR resolution

- OR -

You can lower this resolution and see improved frame rates and less heat generation from your PC, or to better match the resolution/capability of other HMDs!

Let me know if you have any questions or need help, but this improved the clarity and overall picture quality for me by well over 100% and I can now easily read the billboards and signs in the far distance. Its quite shocking how much better it is than the standard settings out of the box.

Happy Racing All!

Thanks!

Ryan Pietroski2 (iRacing)

(Snoowoofers265 and Rygar1976 on Reddit)

RyanPietroski on YouTube

EDIT : Please check the full setting guide on the iRacing Forum, we couldn’t post the whole thread as the character has reached limit. Or you can check the thread on Reddit.

https://forums.iracing.com/discussion/1726/pimax-vr-max-clarity-detailed-settings-ini-guide-6-16-21/p1?new=1

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.