RTX 3090 ; VR Image stutter problem and benchmark scores

Take that gpu memory usage value with a heaping grain of salt because it just represents the allocation request and usually isn’t related to the actual amount of memory is used. Most of the time only a portion of the allocation is really used.

6 Likes

Ha ok it is good to know then !

Thanks for the info I appreciate.

Do not benchmark in Half Life Alyx, the engine is highly dynamic and scales textures, various effects, its own supersampling, resolution, how much it preloads and more automatically. It fills up your VRAM because it can, but doesn’t use it. It actually needs a max of 8GB VRAM to render any scene at max fidelity setting.

That’s why I immediately turn off Benchmarking videos as soon as the Influencer uses Half Life Alyx: It reveals them as incompetent.

It is true though that it looks fantastic in the 8KX.

4 Likes

What if it’s benchmarked with a manual set resolution? You can do that with command options.

3 Likes

I know that, but I also am absolutely certain nobody does that. Don’t think others are like you / us. They’ll review the Pimax headsets even without checking into Steamvr.settings first… they review “out of the box”. The focus is on the cards - and if anyone overclocks he’s already regarded as tech Jesus. The focus here, again, is on the cards. And I haven’t seen the fidelity settings mentioned to have gotten locked yet during benchmarks - that’s rare knowledge we know thanks to you posting that here.

2 Likes

Are you having stutter in 120 Hz also. Most 5k+ with 203 series had a stutter at 90 and below.
I also have a RTX 3090 and the problem persists. Now have moved to 8kx.