RTX 30 Series Discussion - Part 2

I can go +170 Core and +1130 memory.

Port Royal Score: 14,225

1 Like

Yeah undervolting seems nice. I will try it some day.

1 Like

Personally I hit some instability when I try to set the power limit too high on my Stix 2090. I think it might be my aging psu but i tried substituting the gpu power with two other smaller psu’s i had and while it improved a bit it it still wont let me throw 123% at it. So currently I’m having a stable gpu +100mhz and mem +200mhz. I can get them higher but then it starts becoming benchmark dependent what crashes or not.

2 Likes

Yeap that’s exactly my point. It’s very bad result and I think you are pushing too hard. Did you check your max power draw?

You got 14,225 with very high clocks, power draw reaching limit (probably ~400W or more), temperature goes higher, electricity bill going up and lifespan of your gpu will be shorter. And you did all of this to get ~2% more.

My port royal score is 13907 with undervolting. You got only 2% more but at what cost.

In VR 2% means you will get ~1 fps more… What’s the point?

You should check this video:

3 Likes

How do you like the Lian Li? I’m considering moving out of my old Fractal case for this upgrade and I’m kinda falling for the looks of this case. I’m just a little unhappy that it’s limited to 120mm fans since my rads and fans are all 140mm sized so all I’ll be able to reuse is the pump / reservoir.

edit: Also, try lowering the vram frequency, since it’s ecc it might not crash or visibly glitch if pushed too hard but it supposedly can build up a lot of overhead on error correction, you might be able to get better scores with less ram speed. It costs nothing to try

1 Like

Did you see the reviews? @babeltech?

3 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t know…if i undervolt, the temperature is lessen a few degrees, losing frame rate by 5 to 7 fps, power draw is 370 (temp around 55-60 degree). If I want to regain those additional frame rates, power draw went up to 412, temperature is about 61 degree (the pictures I posted for temperature should be lower, I think I have since messed with the fans settings to help lower the temperature a bit). I don’t think around 60 degree is that bad…and I don’t mind paying for electricity bill lol. I think I found my sweet spot.

3 Likes

60 degrees is good/fine on air… :wink:

1 Like

I like the Lian Li a LOT…it looks gorgeous. It’s almost like a fish tank, I show it to a few people and they’re all impressive. I actually had come across the Fractal case but decided to go with the Lian Li since I want a bigger case to complement the RTX 3090. As for fans, the Lian Li does support 140mm fan x 2, not 3.

2 Likes

Lian Li is beautiful. Do you have this one?

https://www.adorama.com/lipco11dw.html?utm_source=adl-gbase

He has the XL as far as i can tell from the pics, same case, little bigger. a bit more premium materials and a tad pricier.

1 Like

Mine is the 011 Dynamic XL, it’s a little roomy. You can compare it here
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Lian_Li_PC-O11DW_vs_Lian_Li_Dynamic_XL_ROG_Certified/BHitems/1560600-REG_1560596-REG

1 Like

ahhh… my 5950x arrived today, but since i decided for a motherboard switch in the last second I’m waiting for that to arrive sometime next week, got the 3090, the G9 odyssey, planning on repurposing ram, psu and storage and will make the initial build in the old case. just waiting for the bloody motherboard.

it’s a very shiny cpu as it sits there, taunting me.

2 Likes

My 5950 and MoBo are hard on the not available keeps supossedly being delivered to the retailer and never makes it…
Well time will pull that straight… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And then I still don’t have a GPU… 3080ti would could be nice

well the 3080ti sounds much more reasonable than the 3090 and more VR proof than the 3080 so probably maybe worth waiting for? if it’ll only be out soon. Hoping your parts show up soon. Personally I’m waiting for the new case which is being delayed a month or so so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, hope you get your mobo soon!
What are you getting? I am hopeing for the Dark Hero from Asus - I love the EVGAs but there just not into the AMD stuff.

I also hope the 3080ti will be good and “cheaper”, reasonable is relativ in those price ranges :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: - its not quite as insane ;-). But hey still cheaper then many other hobbys. I did see that the 3090 does quite a bit better in the extrem resolutions, so for VR and the 8KX I guess it will be a good choice to have its bandwith. Someone should send a 8KX to BabelTechReviews - the only ones I know that make such efforts to bring VR Benchmarks ( @PimaxUSA ) I would love to also support the red team, but the green just hast more infrastructure inplace if you are into VR and RTX and DLSS - I cant wait for VR RTX and DLSS!

Ah, I did get my mobo, and it is the Dark Hero as well. it has more settings than I know what to do with, lol. I’ve build the machine in the old case and it works pretty well, getting 30+ fps in 2077… most places. :wink: I’m trying to decide on water cooling for the new case EK’s stuff is always premium but a gpu waterblock for the strix is 180€ + 50 for the backplate where alphacool has the block / backplate combo for 136€ and I mean… there’s premium and there’s stupid… EK has a monoblock for the cpu / mobo that i’m loving though so I will probably end up mixing things.

2 Likes

I bought waterblock for 3090 strix with backplate & shipping for 120$

I got asus formula croshair & 5950x (mobo 1-2 months ago) & CPU about 1.5 weeks ago, well, I got many problems with my OS & had to reinstall stuff for 3-4 times & got some other problems with memory (fixed finally) + of course bios firmware update, but it was the first thing I did, while the CPU is very ok I don’t find it mind blowing, my old i7700K at 5.1GHz was more or less near the same for multithreaded games, for multtithread of course it’s a beast with 16 cores / 32 threads, I did testing with overclocks a lot & increased PBO limits, it’s quite good, you can manage how many cores enabled, you can disable / enable whole CCXs (dies with 8 cores per die) & also disable cores, which means you can increase single thread performance a big, but I mean there is little reason to do CPU update if you don’t have heavily bound CPU titles in use & especially if you use high resolution VR with a lot of SS.

I exeperienced microstutters for last 3 years & finally ordered memory, I have old one which in XMP / DOHC has 3000Mhz Q16, I think after all the testing it’s the reason which spoils my experience, I turned off memory OC (2166) & it became smoother, but still I don’t get it when I play games if my GPU 80% I sometimes get spikes in some games & it ruins smoothnes of the experience while in other games I don’t have spikes, it’s really annoying, as I replaced almost the whole PC build, the only thing left is memory, so it will be here on Tuesday.

I got waterblock yesterday plan to mount & test it, but was able to OC Strix a bit, I increased power consumption target to 123% + temperature target to 93 degrees & raised memory to 2000 or 2400 sometimes but it’s not stable as PSU is still on the go, but with clocks 2000-2050 & memory 2000 it’s quite stable & temperatures about 77-79 degrees which is ok.

Video card is quite ok & I started to play at much higher SS rates which makes image much more sharp, but there are so lot of poor optimized titles that you constantly need to lower your video settings like Squadrons, Im not sure why (need to test) but at Ultra it’s not smooth at all even if I set 100% SS with game restart, at medium/low it becomes much more smoother, but seems something is wrong with vertical sync as well & the image isn’t smooth

But might be memory

3 Likes

regarding memory (3600, cl 16) I found that using the xmp profile my machine got hella unstable with even a slight overclock, entering the same frequency and timing manually (just the four main ones, left the rest on auto) cleared that right up.

just hitting core performance boost and pbo with nothing else fancy hits 5.1ghz now and then. enabling dynamic oc switching makes it unstable af though. I’ll have to learn more when I get time.

funny thing; my better score in time spy extreme is still (marginally) with the old 6700k…

Regarding GPU I had issues with power level above 112% until the latest driver update which seems to have set that straight.

2 Likes