RMA'd My Index controllers (again)

Well it seems Valve still has a QA issue with the left controller mini-stick. Only a couple of months after receiving a replacement for the same problem, my left stick started drifting backward (doesn’t recenter properly). Quite annoying when you fall off a building. :smiley:
On the upside, Steam service is as great as the first time. They responded in 1 day and after 1 more issued an RMA notice.They are sending replacements before I need to return the current set and will forward a prepaid return label.
Pimax may be smaller but should at least consider how the big buys do things. Night and Day.

Hope 3rd time is a charm.

11 Likes

hmm, guess I’ve gotten lucky with mine. Still on my first set and no issues…yet. Good luck on your latest RMA :+1: but sounds like Valve have “got you on this”.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. I plan to get Index controllers at some point (hopefully with a free copy of HL:Alyx). I think I’m going to wait until Valve has more time to fix this on-going hardware problem.

3 Likes

ALYX still included so far. I don’t think the problem is wide spread. Just luck of the draw, I suppose.

5 Likes

I was using my Index controllers for 8 months. About 1.5 to 2 months ago, I noticed I had to really awkwardly angle my left controller in order to move forwards. Later I found out that the thumbstick had broken and was only working for left/right movements but not up/down. I requested an RMA and Valve accidentally sent me a right controller instead. I let them know and they sent me the left controller replacement. It was also advanced RMA. I’m so happy to have brand new working controllers. Feels nice to have a proper left thumbstick and my new right controller did improve some of the thumbstick clicking. So overall I’ve been happy with Steam support. They are fast too.

5 Likes

Interesting. When I RMA’d my last set they had me send both controllers and sent a new set. Will see what they do this time.

1 Like

I had to replace mine 3 times by now, for the same reason as yours. The last 2 only held pretty exactly 2 months each before breaking. I hope they sort out this issue in the future. At least the advanced RMA is nice to have, unless they send you a right controller instead of a left one (happened to me too)

2 Likes

Since they are going to send replacement before I need to return current controller(s), I will wait until they arrive to see what they send. Strange that they send the right when everything I read shows the left controller is the one they seem to have most issues with.
I wonder if it’s because 90% are right-handed and likely only strafe with the right, whereas the left gets all the heavy movement work.

1 Like

Could this slight drifting problem be solved by increasing the stick deadzone a bit?

6 Likes

Tried that but didn’t help. The stick returns half way to center when released after moving backward. A quick flick stops the drift and centers it but it returns the next time i back up.
Being Valve has quickly RMA’d twice now suggests it’s a known issue with the mechanism. That the forward-backward line moves a little off the center line sometimes as well suggests a flaw in the mechanism ,as well.
The mechanism seems smaller than the one Oculus uses and maybe isn’t quite as sturdy considering the workload the left stick gets in full movement. Valve’s original issue with the left stick not clicking in all positions may also be related and indicate a design or manufacturing flaw.

edit
I would add that I had the screw that holds my Oculus Touch controller’s ministick in place coming loose (stripped) and the stick (and mechanism) would eventually dislodge from the pot and fail. I did a teardown and eventually settled on just removing the stick and controlling without it. Worked well although it felt a little weird. Eventually bought another set for $100 just to be safe.
Given the cost of ICs, I would hope Valve resolves this overall.

3 Likes

Agreed, this is a little concerning. my RMA’d quest actually came in with a ‘sticky’ right stick… if I pushed it to the bottom left it would hold in place, but that’s not the same issue obviously. Silicon permanently has solved the issue for me on that one - I’m surprised to hear the issues with ICs, just because the build quality FEELS soooo much better than the oculus controllers. Oculus touch feels like a happy meal toy, but they really are great controllers regardless of that.

1 Like

Aside the screw issue, the Oculus stick mechanism actually feels solid (more sturdy) to me. Certainly after 3 years of punishment it held up better. With both sets of ICs, I have had so far the sticks feel a little cheap and sloopy (loose) in comparison to the 2 sets of Touch I have.

The weird thing is the sticks on the Steam Controllers work fine and they were produced in house by Valve… :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

@TrevorVR
Yeah the dead zone does not help. I have RMAed 3 left controllers so far. This is a known issue. What I will say though is that Valve has been super quick and understanding with the RMA. I bought my first set on Steam and had to RMA them after about 4 months. I bought a used index bundle full setup with 4 base stations headset and controllers from Facebook marketplace and the controllers had the drift issue when I got them. The left controller that they replaced started drifting after 2 months again! I asked Valve to RMA both left controllers and they asked where I got the other set since I didn’t buy it through them. I said I bought it used and they replaced both of them anyway!

3 Likes

Okay thanks for confirming.
My controllers have the thumbstick click issue, but haven’t bothered to RMA it or try a diy fix as they register the button click - without actually clicking.

3 Likes

Oculus doesn’t have the problem with Touch sticks either. Valve must have changed over to one of those suppliers Pimax likes to blame. :grinning:

What surprises me is even Pimax recognizes the need for more than one controller price category although it is my considered opinion they blew it with Sword by eliminating the stick.

Valve has only put up a high price offering with features that even ALYX doesn’t use. Valve seems to be looking at it from their headset entry rather that their gaming ecosystem, Steam.
ICs may get a lot of game development down the road but in the present most of their customers would benefit from a less feature rich controller that would suffice for present day games. I don’t have a problem with a Ferrari priced controller with future implications, but it shouldn’t break down like a used car.

Also,Valve would do well to produce an IC set without all the finger sensors and lower the kit cost. This would further cement their position as a hardware choice.
It is strange that Valve offers everything from shovelwear to expensive software collections on Steam and yet doesn’t see a place for a generic IC version to play all that crap on their headset.

2 Likes

Got my replacement today. 5 day turn around. Now that’s what I’m talking about. :smiley:

4 Likes

…They got you…

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting. Looks like Oculus is getting their stick parts from the same supplier as Valve. Wonder if they changed supplier or the supplier has just gone cheap. My org Touch took abuse for 3 years without the issue.