Right eye blacks out at 114hz

Yes it’s a different firmware but still shows 294 after update. Needed support help to update though as my 8kx doesn’t seem to respond to the standard dfu process. Suggest you wait till Monday when Support is open.

The update worked for me so far, no more blanking and no ghosting like I saw with the even older firmware at 118hz (the new firmware is still 114hz). I didn’t have any issues with dfu, make sure you unplug displayport before running it.

Looks about as smooth as Index @ 120hz.

2 Likes

I’ve been using PiTool ver 1.0.2.084 and haven’t had a black screen problem. I did have to restart piserver and reboot the headset a couple of times, before it successfully ran at 114Hz.

Once it switched, I didn’t have any more issues. I was surprised that the higher refresh rate improved my immersion significantly, but I really missed the higher res, so I switched back to native res (after an hour or so). That went smoothly; I didn’t need to restart piserver or reboot the headset.

I had the same feeling… now i realy hope they can increase the native hz on the 8kx…

When i switched back yo the valve index you feel far more immersed,so i tried the upscale mode at 114 hz on the 8kx and that realy helps with the immersion,only the picture gets too bad then…

Thats a pitty… So please : if possible raise the native hz on the 8kx!

1 Like

I raised a ticket too about the lens going all black in upscale mode too.
They keep having me do things like switch to the same firmware I already have and reunplug the display port cable which i have already mentioned I have done.

Native mode the device seems to work fine. Upscale mode one or both lens go completely black in quick order. I’ve noticed it goes out quicker in a reflection scene or a bright scene like throwing a grenade in a game.

The latest experimental firmware last digits 5503, I think solves the issue. Check with Doman Chen of support.

Thank you for your input. Yeah Doman Chen suggested I try that firmware. It unfortunately didn’t fix my problem at all. I think the upscale processing unit gets overrun and glitches out is what’s happening. In native mode that processing unit doens’t have to upscale and doesn’t error out because of that.

1 Like

After the new 5503 firmware upgrade, I had to do a complete cold boot of the PC and disconnect reconnect USB of the 8kx. After that only I had no further issues.

Did this get fixed? Because I have the same problem looking for help ;-;

No. 5503 firmware didn’t help me either.

1 Like

In my case, Left eye is black out.

I have this problem also. Happens in Pop 1 and for me it is usually the left eye that goes first, then the other will follow seconds later. It seems to happen when I get shot. Perhaps the sound (power spike?) or the sudden change in image causes it.

For me unplugging the displayport and then plugging it back in fixes the issue until it happens again.

I have tried different dplsayport and USB ports. I have opened a ticket and also a live chat to see if I can get this 5503 or some other help.

2 Likes

Hello,

We have forwarded this issue to the research department, and they are looking for the cause and solutions.

We will release more information once we receive the update from them.

Sincerely.

1 Like

ya it happens during pop one for me
if they would increased the native hz up id just use native mode

1 Like

Mine has the same problem but it’s usually the right one that goes out when playing Skyrim VR and Half-Life alyx the right one goes out when I go too far forward like when it changes to yellow around the outside because I went too far then the right one will blackout

Pimax says they’re working on getting it up to 90 hz from 75. I don’t have issues as long as the game is steady at 75, but more hz is always good!
More hertz never hurts!
(new slogan for them when they get it done! )

population one is too laggy to play at 75 hz you cant even climb

1 Like

I’m not sure for your case. But I found out what cause my problem. (Blackout after play awhile with 114 hz mode)

it happens when I try to through wall or get a shot from enemy in Alyx, It also happens when I got shot from foe in Population one.

both cases have same visual feature the flashing on screen

[Ah, Also I found out only Unity and Source2 Engine game occur that problem.
it doesn’t happen on Unreal Engine. I tested only 1 unity, 1 source2 and 2 Unreal Engine games so it’s not sure.]

forget about this I’ve got the issue even with Unreal Engine game when I got a hit from enemy.

1 Like

I was given, and tried, the 5503 firmware. No luck. my ticket :

I tried this but I still have the issue at least in the left screen. I tried twice and both times the left eye turned off as soon as I was shot in Population 1. The right eye was fine but I only tried for 5 minutes total.

The flash seemed to work fine, Pitools says 2.1.255.294 and the backlight adjustment stopped working.

Ok the problem still exists with PP on in upscale mode.

No issues when PP is off.

@Heliosurge please note.

1 Like