Reverb G2 YouTube footage

But with different results. Here is a FOV Comparsion, mesured with 180 degree fisheye cams, nearly the Human eye. Look at the Pimax FOV, only 140 degree diagonal, but we all know, this is not true. (Copy the complete Link in your Browser)

The FOV values for Quest 1 do not make much sense. The (horizontal) FOV should not change with IPD as long as the panels move with the lenses. The fact that he found out that it did can only be explained that the same person (with constant IPD) was looking into the headset and doing the measurement for all different IPD settings. Then moving the lenses further apart (then his real IPD was) will increase the FOV. But this is more a wrong approach than the property of the headset.

1 Like

The link does not work.

I can’t say anything exactly, don’t know the quest and I only understand spoken english half of it anyway, but the graphics explain the matter.

Hmm, not work, dont know why…

Can you Open this? The First Post Sichtfeld-Messungen von Head-Mounted Displays | Virtual Reality Forum

it is nonsens to compare to 100% a camera with its fixed sensor and lens with an eye. the human eye is a muscle that contracts, expands, changes the curvature of the lens, etc.

2 Likes

Only in german speak…

2 Likes

The microphone of the G2 seems to have issues.

There are differences for sure, but it is not a complete nonsense. What is important is the correct placement of the camera, in this case into the false head, in way that its optical behavior simulates an eye. And the correct calibration of the camera. I am not sure how they did it (normally it is done with OpenCV or such, but I did not find any explicit notion in the text.).

Then there are differences in that in this experiment they do not move the “eye” (in order to look into particular direction), while when you look into particular direction, you usually move your eye (to look there), which however limits your FOV more. On the other hand, if you look to right you see more to the left (than what the camera looking forward would see). So this is something to keep in mind when comparing the human results with the camera setup.

Apart from that, I did not understand the part “Abweichungen des diagonalen Sichtfeldes”, in particular how the binocular diagonal FOV is determined. As this (e.g. left-top to right-bottom) seems a bit vague (to my German at least :slight_smile:) Could some German speaking fellow help me there?

For the record the original report (in German).

4 Likes

So he got a lot of hate because he f*cked up about the FoV and therefore he made this video and he doesn’t really make it much better. Well at least he now admits that the FoV actually is 100-ish. He should have just said from the start “The FoV is 100 (well 99 actually) as measured by risa’s tool but because there’s no eye relief system you might get (much) less than that, for example I myself only get 78”. Instead of making that claim “the FoV IS 78 degrees”. Really the guy is just not a good reviewer and this isn’t the first time he messed it up.

Either way this proves you were wrong @dstar. It’s really the missing eye relief that causes it, not his IPD. Oh and btw, a free VR pro-tip: when @risa2000 says something and you disagree, then better make DAMN sure you know what you’re talking about :wink:

2 Likes

I have not commented on @VoodooDe video, yet :wink:.

1 Like

Guys… I mesured 78 and that’s true for me

7 Likes

Let’s just agree that at this moment VR isn’t one size fits all, and one person’s experience doesn’t invalidate another’s experience.

5 Likes

With the orginal facemask its true,i also get something like 83…It didnt fit my face at all and i was disapointed!

But now with the mod(removed face mask)
Its on index level but with the damm amazing clarity and colors and a far better sweetspot.

i just had a play with the game half alyx its on a another level now with the hp reverb g2 with the face cover mod… you will see details you have never seen before!And also the 3d is very good on this headset… Better then my pimax 8kx

7 Likes

Ok but you are like a semi pro reviewer, with sponsors and all. You didn’t realize that there was much more FoV when you shot the video and then got burned for it (and rightly so). Next time make sure you use Risa’s tool first thing when you try a new headset and THEN report your personal subjective experience (and see if you can find out why it is different)

4 Likes

you are addressing exactly the points that appeared to me in the test to be false.
Fish lens is ok, but it doesn’t move. especially since one eye is also slightly arched out of the head when it is turned. Therefore, I find a comparison with rigid lenses nonsense.

I don’t know that I have spoken to risa2000 against. I contradicted you because, depending on the structure of an HMD, there is still a connection between IPD and FOV.

Look at the Odyssey, there is no Panel that move if you use the IPD Slider. Only the Lenses move. And the FOV in the odyssey lowered definitively if you use the slider to small.

Edit… @Djonko hmm, ok, it’s the sight only from my own IPD…
ok, i’m taking everything back and claiming the opposite.

1 Like

@VoodooDE

I guess it would be a good practice for any reviewer - to first determine the technical limits of the headset and then compare them with the subjective measurements. Both are important, and they actually give one interesting metric - the headset/panel efficiency. If the headset claims a big FOV, but only substantially smaller part is visible it basically wastes the GPU performance for nothing.

So the goal should be having the headsets FOV (and HAMs) set in a way that there will be a minimal overhead. There always be some which needs to accommodate different eye reliefs and the pupil movement, but this should be clear at the time of headset review. Comparing the data provided by the headset (API) and measured by the app can also point out a problem, for example, if there is a big discrepancy, and it is better to understand it first before publishing the results.

I wrote hmdq for this particular reason and tried to make sure it does it right (e.g. by including the HAM into the FOV calculation), but there is nothing hidden or magic either in the tool or in the API it uses, so getting the same data is not limited to only using hmdq.

3 Likes

Hey just a heads up, it’d be ideal if your online merchant can handle different currencies. I’m in the UK and getting hit with a foreign transaction charge bigger than the actual cost doesn’t make much sense.

Who’s with me here… I’m so frustrated with the Pimax being overlooked.

IMO Pimax has really dropped the ball with timing their Marketing push as almost every review of the G2 basically ends like this

HP best resolution you can buy today. But the controller tracking is not that great so only good for sims. Valve Index best tracking and FOV is huge(:crazy_face: poor uninformed souls)

"Too bad we can’t have both the visuals of the G2 with the tracking and large(LOL) FOV of the Index.

HOW IS PIMAX NOT PART OF THE CONVERSATION DURING THESE CRITICAL MOMENTS!!

Watch Cas an Chary’s Final G2 review to see what I’m talking about. I’ve heard this so many times from every youtube review. Frankly, It’s making me sick.

Also if you love your Pimax please go to her video and answer the question she asks at 14:30 and say

“i don’t have to make a choice I have both with Pimax 8KX)”

Edit: while I went to her video to type that I accidently typed L instead of P when I was spelling Pimax. That would have been used against me :grinning:

3 Likes

Hopefully the new PE IPD guide will be able to give people clear direction on how to use all of the available adjustment tools in order to get the image dialed in properly. I think that without that any reviews would likely be tainted by impressions from those who weren’t able to get a good image. I feel like with my 8kx I’m getting a really great image with great FOV but there have been enough people that couldn’t get a great image with the 8kx to know that it is crucial for this to get addressed by the time reviews start coming out. A well setup 8kx should be an easy recommend for reviewers when trying to give an alternative to the G2 and Index. The other huge elephant in the room is the current reputation of Pimax as a company. It is going to take time for them to overcome that. But they are going to have to start showing consistent improvement for that to even begin.

4 Likes

Yes, if you got a unit without flaws. Sadly this is not the case for everyone. Imagine a faulty unit like some of us have, gets into the hands of the YT reviewers and there WILL be vids like the one MRTV did with VRLegion. And this wouldnt be the kind of promotion the 8KX needs, or deserves.

Pimax needs a far more strict QA. Double- and triple-check every device if needed, rigorously sorting out every unit that has flaws. Lens problems, Mura, Backlight bleeding. If this is the company’s flagship and asks for premium price, then premium quality needs to be delivered in advance. Anything else will lead to disappointment, frustration and bad reviews.

1 Like