Request; Pitool for entry level

With the arrival of Artisan for entry level users, I suggest a much simpler Pitool version, with default settings, where new users don’t need to touch anything to run any game.

With all options hidden and default settings enabled;
Pitool: 1
Fov: Normal
Hz: 90
SS: Off
FFR: Off
PP: At this stage the software should detect if the game needs it or not. If it’s not possible, leave it activated.
Brightness/Contrast: Default

Almost all this could be hidden for new entry users, with time they will go to expert mode.

At the bottom you can add an “Expert mode” button to switch the interface to the complete Pitool version.

This would really help new users.

@PimaxVR @SweViver @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA @Mirage335 @Alex.liu

12 Likes

But they should also do something else than blinking the chevron lights to signal PP is on. The blinking looks like something is wrong and needs attention.

8 Likes

I hate the blinking when PP is on too. It does look like something is wrong with the headset.

4 Likes

I’d suggest to leave it activated by default on the Artisan. No popping objects, no double picture. Always working fine.

And instead of a blinking Chevron I’d add two colors on the PP button of Pitool, ie.
-Blue; activated
-Green; deactivated
And the Chevron would change the color from blue to green, depending on if it’s activated or not

2 Likes

This is a great idea as well. Especially for first timers turning the Pimax on, seeing double and assuming their headset is broken.

1 Like

Calling the Artisan “entry-level” is a bit of a misnomer since its closest competition in price/stats is the Index (~500 USD for the headset by itself). It may be “entry-level” by Pimax pricing but not according to the rest of the VR market.

Also, I don’t think I have ever seen the Pimax headsets at a point where I would recommend them to “entry-level” (ie first time) users. By my personal standard, a headset needs to work every time you plug it in or restart your PC and it needs to have a setup time of ~5-10 minutes without anything more than basic computer knowledge.

Those are both things that Pimax has said they plan to implement.

1 Like

Good idea @Mlkconcept
added poke to alex liu

3 Likes

Thank you @TrevorVR
Let’s make it easy for the new Pimax users

3 Likes

woah really i did not know this?

I never used PP in all this time hehe. It didn’t give me any difference in my games, but I lose 30% of FPS with it enabled.

You’ve never seen objects popping in and out at the sides of the screens? It’s even present in the SteamVR home and in many games, old ones and new ones, like Boneworks and Stormland.
And the double picture issue is very common as well
Even Beat Saber is better with PP activated, and this is one of the first games many new users will try on the Artisan
The first time they try the Artisan it out should work fine, after that they will start playing with most advanced settings
Adding an instructions file settings, or video tutorial would help a lot

1 Like

The first start should be a video introduction, with full FOV enabled, to give the WOW feeling, and explaining a few settings (Like FOV and PP) and some cool animations.
After that the headset should start automatically with small/normal fov (still bigger than all the other headsets) and with PP activated.

1 Like

I only have problems in Beat Saber, but I only play BS in my Quest hehe.

In the rest I didn’t find difference using PP at large FOV. SteamVR Home sometimes I see popping, but only in steamvr. Red Matter, Oculus games, Racket NX, etc… works flawlessly.

I used PP only one time for Fallout, but in Skyrim I didn’t use it.

Yes, there are games, like Asgards, where PP doesn’t make any difference. Although the popping objects is an issue always, and any company, serious or not, shouldn’t allow for a first try of the headset to see popping objects anywhere.
The point is no one knows which game will be the first that a new user will try. If it is Skyrim; no problem (although it’s better with PP activated, shadows and lights), if it is Beat Saber, Boneworks, Stormland and many more; problems, if it is ED, PC2, No Man’s Sky, and many more; big problems if PP is disabled

1 Like

In Unity, the pop-in on Normal/Large FOV can be solved with something like 2-3 rows of code, as far as I remember. Its all about getting the developers know and make them fix it. Im trying to find a link about it. I remember someone posted it not long ago.

Anyhow. An “easy/advanced” mode switch in PiTool is a good idea. Im adding it to my list of things to bring to the engineers. Thanks

8 Likes

Did you say “SweViver mode” ?

SweViver’s Thoughts sailing in stormy seas of emotion NOW :blush:.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/dnabm7/Disassembly_VR_now_has_Pimax_support/f59cj69/

Sure. It’s a two line fix:

void OnPreCull()
{
        //move the camera back 2m to cater for large fov
        Matrix4x4 worldToCameraMatrix = Matrix4x4.Inverse(Matrix4x4.TRS(m_Camera.transform.position - m_Camera.transform.TransformVector(2 * Vector3.forward), m_Camera.transform.rotation, new Vector3(1, 1, -1)));
        m_Camera.cullingMatrix = m_Camera.projectionMatrix * worldToCameraMatrix;
}

For the shadows, use Stable fit and tweak the cascades and distance to suit your world size.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.