Recording Elite Dangerous with Pimax 5K+: how to get the correct picture?

I often PvP and always have Shadowplay on; the desktop mirror that I manage to capture looks more or less like this:

As you can see, it only shows the top-left of the screen.
Does anyone had the same problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Just crop right half of screen, cut top and bottom. U will see almost correct picture, but lower res and low FOV

That’s… a really terrible solution to my problem :confused:

I have this problem also. And yes Gared’s idea is terrible.

I believe you can record via OBS centrally. Have a look - RECORD VR GAMEPLAY [FREE!!] | Best Settings Oculus Mirror, SteamVR, OBS [Rift, Vive, WMR Tutorial] - YouTube

this picture taken from HMD eye. There is non-symmetrical FOV for eye. If u want “center” this, u must cut FOV of outer side.

I mean u CANT take correct picture… maybe half from other eye :smiley: but they arent same really.

“correct” picture just not even exist. (or u need render it separately from game, and pass HMD render)

PS: from OBS VR plugin u will have ABSOLUTELY same picture :slight_smile: So u can render in very high resolution, then just crop it to 1080p and stream :slight_smile: with small FOV like on monitors.

2 Likes

Unless you render the game from the third POV you cannot. Imagine that the game is already rendered twice (once for each eye) with slightly different geometry. If you want to have centered view, there are two options:

a) you take one eye render and cut the “center” part from it.
b) you render the game image from the third point (a.k.a. head view) and take this.

I do not think anyone actually considers b) as a viable option.

1 Like

Yeah fair… seems because it’s Pimax it’s more difficult. I never tried it.

While it’s not useful for video, here’s how I take a screen shot: I close my right eye and frame the image with the left eye (turn your head a bit to the right).

2 Likes

there is option “C” - take half picture from left and half from right eye. But line between eyes will be shown (cause picutres not exactly same for eyes). Probably this will be acceptable for someone. Need VR plugin to capture both eyes.

1 Like

Left Eye show part off right Eye and right Eye show part off left so trying to record both Eyes will be strange, on game like ED i usaly record steams window with obs.

no, I meant to cut the pictures in the central part, and then move them together along the center line

PS: its easy to do in realtime

SteamVR already have both-eyes method.

1. Run SteamVR.
  2. Open SteamVR menu (left corner of smalll SteamVR window).
  3. Choose DISPLAY VR VIEW.
  4. In Display VR window open menu and Choose “BOTH EYES” (left or right eyes dominant is not important.
  5. You will have big picture with real Pimax FOV. With center view. Just capture DisplayVR window.

You will need keep VR window open during stream. U can make it fullscreen for better resolution

3 Likes

Have you actually tried that? Iirc, someone posted that for the 5/8K, the “both eyes” setting actually only recorded the left eye view. I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know if “both eyes” works now or not.

yes just a second i’m uploading video

U can see edge between eyes sometimes, but it looks not very bad really.

i’m capture in 2560x1440 then crop center area (1080p frame).
FOV still too high for video. Too wide :slight_smile: u can crop less area to reduce FOV.
Better if u have 4k display so u can capture in 4k 1st. Then crop.

Here is 2k to 720p crop test. FOV looks optimal for video recordings.
Really 1280x810 then transform to 720p (aspect ratio correction)

4 Likes

That second video looks much better than I was expecting. Thanks for your info!

2 Likes

Nice. I’ll try…

2 Likes

Now im using Nvdia DSR x4 to create 1440p “symmetric videos”.
I’m using 1440p display. So DSR x4 give me 5120x2880 screen resolution.
Open SteamVR monitor, fullscreen mode. (both eyes,left eye main)
Then capture this window in OBStudio.
Crop 1280 from left, 1280 from right, 630 from top and 630 from bottom.
Then resize it to 2560x1440. Now u can see result.

3 Likes

That’s impressive! Thanks for the info. :+1:

So to be clear

1. VR headset displays a default resolution - no issues
  2. Inside Elite you set a res of 5120x2880 and that is shown on your desktop?
  3. You set “both eyes, left eye main” in SteamVR?
  4. Record
  5. Crop 1280 LR, 630 TB
  6. Encode the video as 2560x1440 output?

If so, I love it. Thanks for sharing!! I might try it this week. I have taken a break from VR/Elite for about two months. That way it’s amazing when you go back into VR

yes, its easy enough. OBS OpenVR plugin dont support both eyes method, unfortunatelly (yet).
So only u can doing this - capture using SteamVR monitor window.
To make it with high quality u need use large resolution. So u have to use DSR.

PS: go to NVidia control panel. turn on DSR and enable x4 resolution. U will need to choose 5120x2800 resolution before start capture, and make SteamVR monitor fullscreen.
After capture and framing - u will have enough pixels for 1440p videos.

If u have 2k display and want capture 720p videos only - u no need DSR in this case.(and u will need cut x2 less pixels from top-bottom-left-right)

1 Like